Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for a Negril Newbie?

User Info Menu

Suggestions for a Negril Newbie?

Turns out my in laws are coming with us in a couple of weeks. My MIL does not relax well, at home she spends most of the day in her garden during the summer. She loves plants, flowers and nurturing things. I think she'd love Zimbali Retreats and Barney's Hummingbird Gardens. We're looking for other suggestions to keep her busy.

Any thoughts?

User Info Menu

Re: Suggestions for a Negril Newbie?

Maybe you could order her a few books from amazon regarding the flora and fauna in Jamaica? And fruit? Then she could spend time walking the beach and looking at the books?

User Info Menu

Sounds like she would really love some of the stuff over in Ochii Coyaba Gardens, Shaw Park Gardens, and Cranbrook gardens. I can't think of any big garden attractions on the Negril side of the house.

User Info Menu

And a day trip to Ochii will surely keep her "busy" because that is a journey.

User Info Menu

she should love barneys' . . . one can spend a whole day hanging out at barney's yard. just natural is couple of doors down for food . . . day trip . . .

User Info Menu

A little known plantation tour outside Catadupa is http://www.croydonplantation.com/

It is also the birthplace of Sam Sharpe and there is a church nearby where Sam Sharpe preached which was a catalyst for the Sam Sharpe Rebellion of 1831 in Kensington St. James.
    http://jis.gov.jm/heroes/samuel-sharpe/

If you go, go early and spend a whole day wandering the 130+ acre working plantation.

Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

A great afternoon adventure is Rocklands Bird Sanctuary in Anchovy, outside of MoBay. I believe feeding time for the humming birds is 3:00. I think you can get there around 2:00. 876-383-5109. Perfect side trip coming back from any morning trip. That way you can be back for an early dinner. Some good video's on youtube.

User Info Menu

One more I forgot about, and it is also on the Ochii side. There was a hotel once called Enchanted Gardens. As far as I know it is still closed as a hotel but they have taken good care of the grounds and it is made of a succession of lovely waterfalls and gardens. So in short,,,she could take a day trip and take in Enchanted, Coyaba, Cranbrook, and Shaw Park and just do a garden day tour, could be fun if she is really that in to plants and flowers that is.

User Info Menu

I took my mum to Negril a few years ago and she, too, was an avid gardener - always outside in the garden. The funny thing is that once she arrived she became so relaxed that she would sit in a sun chair in the garden and read while she watched the birds and flowers. She got the biggest kick out of the staff trying to get mangoes from the highest branches. She did ask about going to Rick's (not my favourite) and then we went to LTU for dinner. I wouldn't worry too much about trying to keep her "busy". Just wait and see what she would like to do. IMHO
    Irie Sue

User Info Menu

You may also want to take her to eat at jus natural. I hear their grounds are beautiful.