Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: "Only tourists call Jamaica 'paradise'"

User Info Menu

I've been to many countries that have people hassling you too. I even get that at my Marta rail station in Atlanta...lol. Now your comment about the country going downhill has me curious. Have you been all over the country? How many years experience are you basing this on? If you got hassled so hard that you , if I recall right, had to punch someone, why didn't you move to another hotel? The cliffs sound like something you'd enjoy more.
    Last edited by Mr. Twister; 09-10-2011 at 06:31 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by A_J View Post
    Life for most Jamaicans is very hard.
    for many life is hard all over da world........
    Jamaicans make the best of it and actually it's not so hard for some Jamaicans in Jamaica

I know Jamaicans that have made it to the good olde USA and now they really have to work for a living.......
    and most Jamaicans in the states will tell you that Americans deserve everything they have cause they work so hard....

mi know many Jamaicans that made it the good olde USA and had to return to Jamaica......

Quote Originally Posted by A_J View Post
    All you Negril-aholics out there, does this not bother you? Just wondering...
    mi have lived among the Jamaicans so I have a different perspective than most tourist...........
    and NO it does not bother mi how dem Jamaicans have it der.......

the thing that we have here in N America that they don't in Jamaica is more opportunity.........
    that is why so many Jamaicans try to get out of Jamaica........
    and wi actually have more Jamaicans living in Florida than all of Jamaica.........
    so that should tell you alot why there are so many Jamaicans in N America.......

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Last edited by Ruby; 09-10-2011 at 01:25 PM.
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

spottycatz - re it being my fault - yeah it must've been that "hassle me" sign i was wearing on my back :-)

mr twister - yes, been all over the country. mi wife's from Kingston so i've spent time there. it's been about 10 years. maybe it's not actually gone downhill in that time but it's just me getting more and more tired of it. true, the overt hassling disappears outside the tourist areas, but the "take care of mi" culture seems to be pervasive. if you're the white guy, you are expected to pay for everything & it's perfectly fine for even the most remote acquaintance to aks for tings. ("hey, nice cellphone, can you buy me one?" "nice kicks, can i have them?"). one of my theories is that the tourism-based economy has led to this, because the source of wealth is it literally falls out of the sky with the tourists and you grab what you can get. rather than something to be earned with hard work. i'm not that widely travelled worldwide, but i've visited a couple other countries with similar per-capita income as Jamaica and have not experienced this.

User Info Menu

Something to think about - 45% of Americans don't pay income tax.

It's a slippery slope when we make generalizations based on our experience only. Paradise is where and what we make it.

It's Saturday, I'm drinking coffee and relaxing. My living room is paradise for me right now

User Info Menu

I watch the whole thing last night, omg! everyone one this board needs to watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEQYGmGZR-o It has spanish sub-title but it in english.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Marcia View Post
    Something to think about - 45% of Americans don't pay income tax.

It's a slippery slope when we make generalizations based on our experience only. Paradise is where and what we make it.

It's Saturday, I'm drinking coffee and relaxing. My living room is paradise for me right now
    Nurse Marcia, I could'nt have said it better! Paradise means that for that moment or time frame it could'nt be better. Everything is Irie!
    Life is simple...

It is people who make it difficult!

User Info Menu

Paradise is what you make of it. I have many friends that live in Jamaica both expats and of course Jamaican...and no, life is not easy. But its not easy anywhere. Life is not easy! Paradise to me is living my passion. Which I do...I go from one soft spot to another. I live for three months in Negril, I live for nine months in Bucolic Northern California. I live in paradise all year long.

User Info Menu

Nurse Marcia & rastagirl777, if there was a "like'" button, I'd click it!

Kim in socal, that was an excellent analogy! Playing/vacationing vs Working/living, makes sense doesn't it

User Info Menu

There is great beauty in all of Jah's creation be it a boundary water lake in northern Minnesota, the high desert of Arizona, or the lush green and blue of our favorite island. That being said the only paradise I have found on earth is in my Empresses arms.
    We both work 6 or seven days a week, often 10 or 12 hours a day so we treasure every minute we can spend together and even more so those we can spend home in Jamaica.

User Info Menu

A_J.....I understand your point and it seems that you are well traveled in the country. I hope someday you find your love for the country again ;-)