Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red plate rates from "Best in the West" to downtown?

User Info Menu

Red plate rates from "Best in the West" to downtown?

Hello! I'm a long time viewer, first time poster.

(I've searched the forums relating to my question but couldn't find what I was looking for. I feel like this is a common inquiry, so I apologize if this has previously been answered.)

To keep a long story short - last year was my family's first Negril visit, and we loved it. However, an unfortunate chain of events had us more reliant on red plate taxi's than we originally intended. Everywhere we went outside of our hotel, we used a red plate - even if it was just down the street a few hundred yards. We are going back this year and intend to be much less reliant on taxi rides.

We found rates all over the board. Of course, I tried to negotiate down. After the first week I started to get a better idea of when I was getting ripped off. However, a couple of times I felt like I offended the driver trying to negotiate a price that was too cheap (which is certainly not what I intended to do).

I'd like to get a feel for what others expect to pay for these rides, round trip, during the off season. I always tip a little extra. So... what base price would you shoot for? What is a fair price?

1) "Best in the West" to the bank/grocery store downtown and back.
    2) One way trips from one part of 7 mile to another.

Thanks! I look forward to hearing back from the community!

User Info Menu

Re: Red plate rates from "Best in the West" to downtown?

brian, if you ask for a round trip or multiple stop ride it is considered a chartered ride, the driver decides the price. If you stand on the street you can catch a redplate route taxi, the rate will be $150 ja per person from anywhere on the beach to the round a bout area, or anywhere else on the beach. then you can catch another route taxi for your return same price. from the round a bout to anywhere on the west end, same deal $150 ja per person ea way. if your going from the beach to the west end you can ask the driver if he would like to take you the distance for $300 ja per person. tipping is not expected in a route taxi, but it is a nice thing to do. if you do tip he may offer you his phone # for future outings. good luck have fun!

User Info Menu

If you decide to use the route taxi, make sure you don't get a driver off his route. He will be looking for you to pay charter prices. Also, some route taxi drivers won't be pleased that you are wise to the system. I've had some not so pleasant rides. One ride, in particular, during my last visit was pretty hostile. Charter prices are going to change based on time of day, time of year, etc., but it's really up to you to negotiate. There's no set rate.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BrianJM View Post
    Hello! I'm a long time viewer, first time poster.

(I've searched the forums relating to my question but couldn't find what I was looking for. I feel like this is a common inquiry, so I apologize if this has previously been answered.)

To keep a long story short - last year was my family's first Negril visit, and we loved it. However, an unfortunate chain of events had us more reliant on red plate taxi's than we originally intended. Everywhere we went outside of our hotel, we used a red plate - even if it was just down the street a few hundred yards. We are going back this year and intend to be much less reliant on taxi rides.

We found rates all over the board. Of course, I tried to negotiate down. After the first week I started to get a better idea of when I was getting ripped off. However, a couple of times I felt like I offended the driver trying to negotiate a price that was too cheap (which is certainly not what I intended to do).

I'd like to get a feel for what others expect to pay for these rides, round trip, during the off season. I always tip a little extra. So... what base price would you shoot for? What is a fair price?

1) "Best in the West" to the bank/grocery store downtown and back.
    2) One way trips from one part of 7 mile to another.

Thanks! I look forward to hearing back from the community!
    Brian, a private ride from one part of the main beach, to the round about should be between 5 and 10 dollars US. Certainly no more. There and back, and you are looking at 15 -20. Some people will tell you to be steadfast and it should be cheaper, but you need to remember - these people depend on this money a lot more than you do. Also, think about the price of a cab in any typical American city or tourist destination to take you 1-5 miles.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flipadelphia26 View Post
    Brian, a private ride from one part of the main beach, to the round about should be between 5 and 10 dollars US. Certainly no more. There and back, and you are looking at 15 -20. Some people will tell you to be steadfast and it should be cheaper, but you need to remember - these people depend on this money a lot more than you do. Also, think about the price of a cab in any typical American city or tourist destination to take you 1-5 miles.
    I guess, but I'd never pay that much.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TAH View Post
    I guess, but I'd never pay that much.
    I dont know, a route taxi for 2 people costs almost 5 dollars for the route I just mentioned. To charter it, it would and should cost more.

User Info Menu

I was going to say - I think Flip was referring to the price for 2 people. I know that everywhere I travel in Negril, my wife is with me so I always think about taxi pricing for 2 passengers.

If I am travelling by myself, (to the ATM, etc.) I usually grab a route taxi - but that is rare.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flipadelphia26 View Post
    I dont know, a route taxi for 2 people costs almost 5 dollars for the route I just mentioned. To charter it, it would and should cost more.
    $3 during the day for two people, unless you're going from beach to cliffs. I'm certainly not criticizing, I just wouldn't pay that much unless it was a night.

Oh, and congrats on the upcoming wedding. Hope you guys have a great time!

User Info Menu

All of the replies are very helpful - thank you very much.

Based everyones feedback and information, all of the rides my wife and I took were chartered. Even if we requested a one way trip, the driver really wanted us to call him back for the return ride so we negotiated the round-trip price up front. And in that case, the driver didn't want us to pay up front - he wanted us to pay on the return trip, which really shows how trustworthy and reliable the drivers are.

What I did not realize is that I was able to negotiate very good charter prices. I think this explains why when I attempted to negotiate too low, I felt I offended the driver. Maybe he thought I knew the route rates and was trying to get that rate for a chartered ride. In the end, most of the drivers were great and received tips accordingly.

I understand that people depend on this money much more than I do. At the same time, we are spending 14 nights in Negril so I wanted to be sure that the rates we pay are reasonable and affordable. In all honestly, what I really wanted to know if I was being too cheap - I really do want to be fair. At this point, I know that I could have been a bit more flexible in price. At the same time, I think my tips made up for the difference.

This trip, I am going to find one driver we really like, stick with him and not try to negotiate as steeply.

Thanks again for all of the great feedback.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BrianJM View Post
    This trip, I am going to find one driver we really like, stick with him and not try to negotiate as steeply.
    That's the best thing to do. After a few rides you won't need to negotiate with that driver unless you need something out of the ordinary. It doesn't hurt to have a few back up numbers just in case.

Blue Cave Castle '12, '13 '14 '15 '16 Catcha Falling Star '13 Boardwalk Village '14 '15