Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buying Junk on the Beach

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Buying Junk on the Beach

When I started Negril.com back in 1995, there was not a work permit category for Internet businesses. There was not even internet on the island yet so no reason for the category. I had to register the company as a boutique shop that offered "email related services".

http://www.realnegril.com/beingees/behist01.htm

To stock the shop, we went to MoBay and bought wholesale souvenirs at the main craft market there. Boxes were coming off the ship from India at the time and you would "bid" on each box. One vendor purchased a box clearly marked "Jamaica carvings" and when she opened the box in front of all of us, each of the carvings said "Aruba". After about 10 minutes of laughter, she got her money back from the wholesaler, but each box was opened first before bidding resumed.

If you want to really get Jamaican hand made carvings, try places like Dr. Quality and Fay's near Negril Escape. You can place an order and actually watch his progress during your stay. He can even make carvings based on emailed photos. Fay hand makes her jewelry so you can wear a piece of Jamaica home.

But regardless, you are still supporting the local economy when buying any souvenirs, the vendor had to purchase them and you are helping them to support their family. It is the same worldwide, although I would assume Chinese souvenirs are made in China... (grin)
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Here's a tip. Don't buy "junk"!
    Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him. KJV Psalm 68:4

User Info Menu

When looking for anything crocheted I look for Isha. She walks the beach and you can watch her working as she walks/talks. She makes whatever you want.
    Irie Sue

User Info Menu

Does anybody know the man that weaves hats from palm fronds? Mrs. Homebrewer had him make one a few years back and wants another one but we haven't seen him in the last few years.

User Info Menu

My crocheted swim suite was hand made by Deloris in the craft market. She used her hands to measure my behind. And had it done in three days. 25.00$ u.s. I LOVE IT~~ LOL
    I am offended at the use of the word "JUNK"...........I have bought many items and not one was "Junk" just my view.
    "I'll love you till the stars fall out of the sky "

:cool

User Info Menu

One persons Junk ...
    is anothers treasure

I love the thrill of the "treasure hunt "

User Info Menu

You mean my plastic shark tooth necklace was likely made in China?

User Info Menu

The Sandman has some amazing carvings covered in sand and lots of other homemade items. Also will do custom work for you. He is by Niahs patties.

User Info Menu

I have an account with a company that makes a good share of the tourist crap that is offered for sale in JA. Wholesale, most 15-20us items are about $3. Hard not to kiss teeth when vendors try to push crap off as being something they made. But ..... The JA vendors make a living selling the stuff the tourist want and it makes the economy I guess better. Sort of sucks though for all the honest vendors that we all know that actually sell handcrafted JA products.

User Info Menu

I saw the man that makes hats on Bloody Bay.