Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buying Junk on the Beach

User Info Menu

Re: Buying Junk on the Beach

Quote Originally Posted by lathomas View Post
    I saw the man that makes hats on Bloody Bay.
    Thanks for posting, we'll take a few walks up there next week and look for him.

User Info Menu

Patrick the Lobster Mon! can't beat lobster on the beach.

User Info Menu

I have a beautiful hand-made sailcloth hammock made by Seastar's Francine. Came with it's own carry bag, also made of sailcloth.

User Info Menu

I define junk to be any of those awful mass produced crochet and cheap jewelry you see at all local stalls. Junk they may be, I would still buy them if I thought they were made in Ja.

User Info Menu

We love Courney that sits at the Grand Pineapple. We have taken him pictures of our dogs. He will work on them all week. They are just beautiful.

User Info Menu

Dr Quality also does all his own carvings. Go see Fay at his shop in the cliffs.

~Moose
    Mi Irie

~Just my two cents worth - I mostly only comment on places I've seen and or eaten at personally.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wnyjim View Post
    You mean my plastic shark tooth necklace was likely made in China?
    It's probably worse than that. Many jewelry kinds of things are made by indentured servants and their children in Pakistan and India. Modern slavery is as Dickensian as ever. Look for opportunities to purchase from people who you've actually watched work their craft. With a little effort, you just might end up with a piece of genuine Jamaican folk art. Respect --Marblehead
    We're all in this together and none of us is getting out alive.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMoose View Post
    Dr Quality also does all his own carvings. Go see Fay at his shop in the cliffs.

~Moose
    http://realnegril.com/drquality/

We try to buy something from Quality and Fay every trip. Nice, authentic carvings. Fay will give you a good price - no need to haggle.

Funny story - On our last trip, we had been doing our own West End bar crawl when we decided to stop at Quality and Fay's shop. The Wife was taking her time browsing the selection, when I began to feel the need to relieve myself of the several Red Stripes I had consumed. I asked Fay if could use the restroom and she responded, "Mon, just go out back! This is Jamaica." So, I walked around behind the shop and realized the area is basically an open field with a single bush. I walked over to the bush and proceeded to relieve myself. Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye, I spot a grandmotherly woman walking down Summerset Lane, from which I was in full view. You can imagine my embarrassment as I pictured my own grandmother catching me peeing in the bushes. Ahh, good times!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big_frank View Post
    I live in a tourist city that sells multiple-millions of dollars in junky, trashy, 'souvenir's' annually. The great majority of it; made in China.
    Not putting Negril goods or carvings down; just noting that most tourist goods, from almost any city around the world are now made in China or someplace other than
    the country in which they are sold. Just be aware.
    True story: I worked with a lovely Chinese girl who had emigrated to Canada from China. She was returning home for a visit and came to me one day, totally exasperated. "Where do I find gifts or souvenirs from Canada? They're all made in China! I don't want to take those home as gifts!"

User Info Menu

I have purchased handmade crocheted items from Isha as well, she does beautiful work. I also have a couple of paintings from Ras Husmo AkA Devon.