Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: List of places to grocery shop in Negril

User Info Menu

List of places to grocery shop in Negril

Can we make a list of places to grocery shop in Negril please and just write a rough location for the place near to it.Also if you know a particular person goes to a certan place at a certain time and day selling certain items do list that too.My family eat a lot and I need a lot of food in stock for the week I have a kitchen!Thanks-getting a bit worried about if to buy daily or in bulk as a lot of places do not have a freezer so I do not want things to spoil or go off.

User Info Menu

Exactly how many of you are going to be in a room that you need that much food for a week?

If you have room in ur suitcase and are wanting American food much cheaper to bring it. Some ideas are the just add water pancake mixes, Just add water instant potatoes, if you need stuff like mac and cheese..(keep in mind that is NOT a common product there adn who knows how long it will have been on the shelf so better to bring ur own), peanut butter, snacks like peanuts, cheese and crackers, granola bars.

Places to shop that are full sized markets that I know of are the Value Master at the Roundabout and the HiLo just past the roundabout a short ways on the cliff end. Not sure what the china man sells for food..I only bought cigs there. Of course a bunch of small stores up and down the roads.

User Info Menu

Quality Traders, the new grocery store between the Post Office and Kings/Sunshine Plaza. Lots of items, a wider variety of produce, a broad range of items plus household goods, also liquor and office supplies. Its very nice in there. Building is bright green, can't miss it. Some of their prices are cheaper than HiLo.

You can also get 'just about anything' at the China store. The one across from Easy Rock usually has eggs and some produce, plus you can get chicken, saltfish, salt mackerel, etc.

User Info Menu

There are fruit/vegetable stands up the first road on your right on Sheffield Road, just past the roundabout. Prices & quality are quite good. I buy there over grocery stores for specific fresh items. There's also a farmers' market at the park/craft market area the 4th Wednesday of the month.

User Info Menu

it's cheaper to go out to local establishments for food than to shop and cook american style in jamaica . . . just my two cents worth . . . and, cinni is right, about the time american products stay on shelves . . . i read expiry dates in ja stores . . .

User Info Menu

Tictoc is not American, she is coming from the UK

that being said -
    Tic just go with the dang flow. there's loads of stores and shops in addition to the 'main' grocery stores (HiLo and Valuemaster downtown). All the smaller shops prices are a little more than those two, but paying for a taxi to take you to any specific one will negate any savings you might calculate - AND wasting time you could be spending on having FUN.

Whatever store is closest to where you wind up staying, is the 'best' one, because it will be the easiest and fastest for you to get to.

you ask fourty-million questions here over and over and over again... by now you should have a BOOK with all the answers and info you've been given. just pack and go for heaven's sake and stop worrying! at this point it is becoming over-planning - you'll be spending more time with your million lists than you will be enjoying the trip.
    Last edited by MissBlue; 09-19-2011 at 08:59 AM.

User Info Menu

Since you're not American TT...I don't think you'll be worrying too much about finding a lot of American foods...though they are in abundance here along with many Common Wealth grocery items that you'll be familiar with.

The three largest grocery stores here in Negril include...Hi Lo, Value Master & Quality Traders....these are located downtown, all within minutes of the round about.

In the West End, at the end of Seastar Lane is Wise Choice...a small but varied shop. While you're staying on the beach...you'll be close enough to walk to Value Master.

User Info Menu

I would like to thank everyone that posted helpful replies especially giving names of stores that I can then easily locate on a negril map!That will save me a lot of time walking around in hot sun with the children on busy roads asking for directions!

I am not american but I do enjoy a wide variety of foods and do not need to seek out speciality produce.
    Miss blue I have to disagree with your comment that I have asked this question over and over again a zillion times as this is the first time I have asked this question for this trip.
    Perhaps you may be getting confused if I asked on a previous trip but as we all know things can change pretty fast in Negril so it is always good to get good up to date advice from those who do know what they are speaking about.
    For the lady that asked how much food will we be needing well the answer is quite simply-LOTS
    There are 5 of us big eaters who like at least 4 main meals a day plus snacks and drinks (fatties) we are not just there for one week we are there for over a month.
    I did take note of your suggestion to bring the instant mash!Very clever idea.May end up doing that especially as a part of a quick snack when visiting with family.I never bring food in my suitcase it weighs too much and we could not fit enough in to share round anyway and then you have all the airport laws on food items,and we prefer to buy and spend locally when we are on holiday.
    Miss Blue the only list/s I have is:
    where I will be sleeping/ where I will be needed to assist/which fun people I will be meeting and where!
    If I did not have those lists!I would not know where I would be sleeping-unable to help out where I said I would and miss all the lovely people I wish to link up with.
    and now I also have correct up to date information on where the grocery shops are should I need to shop.
    I like to know where the local amenities are wherever I stay .
    I believe it is only natural for a mother to seek out ways to feed her children if getting dropped off thousands of miles away from home.
    Some very helpful advice given here

User Info Menu

i couldn't cook a dyam thing when i was in jamaica - you need the pressure cooker for almost any kind of meat - and i'm scared of that thing . . . lol

and i agree with jitterbug that is it expensive to buy all the stuff you need to cook - even if you cook every day - setting up includes salt pepper oil seasonings condiments can opener possibly cooking gas - i had a wonderful adventure getting that delivered - NOT

what i have learned is to eat a big full breakfast eat lunch and have dinner and don't "eat up the beach" as i tell my kid when he wants something from every vendor that walks down the beach fruit cotton candy jerk pork patties - lol

that being said - you can find anything you want at Value Master or Hi Hi - i mean Hi Lo - and there's a giant market in Mobay

User Info Menu

I am not intending to cook too much,
    I have breakfast included at one place I am staying and it's low cost to add extra food at breakfast time
    Their food and drinks menu is delicious and reasonably priced so I am ok for breakfasts and have the option of dining out in the evening time there,they cater to all tastes and budgets so breakfast and some evening meals will probably be at the hotel.
    The shopping would probably be for snacks mainly-bread and cheese for sandwiches pop/juice/soda/water
    (I have spent $60+ at the bar on holiday per day just for juice for the children if they order mocktails I am finished!)
    They can really drink so I like to have some drinks supplies in also crisps bulla,crackers that kind of thing as it would only be snacks and lunchtime we need to take care of.We do like patties and snacks for lunch which we should have no problem getting hold of.
    Last edited by TiCtOc; 09-19-2011 at 10:38 AM.