Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 278910111213 LastLast

Thread: Why do jamaicans find it so easy to beg.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    " but I DONT think they find it easy.................they are too proud of a people to let that become EASY for them.......................
    Rambo, its hard to believe that folks could think differently than 'we' do, eh? I am pretty sure to think 'our' way is their way would be to miss the whole boat.

Sometimes in the midst of a conversation my JA friends and I just stare at each other - realizing how different our cultures REALLY are.

User Info Menu

Big ups Lola....SO TRUE!!....we are just coming from a totally different mindset!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    " Wow...I would guess they are hungry, and having maybe grown up around it for the beginning of their lives up to now............and they have no other
    skills or means of surviving OR help others to survive........that is WHY they do it, but I DONT think they find it easy.......
    After living here in Jamaica for nearly 20 years now and getting to know many different people in all economic levels on the island, I have to say that I dont find all that different of a mindset from the America I lived in for some 30 years. Most Jamaican people, the vast majority of the tens of thousands that I have met want to provide for their family on their own, without handouts. They are hard working, proud people who would never ask a stranger for anything but will often offer up what they have when a stranger is in need. Only if they are challenged by forces out of their control would the idea of begging come into their mindset.

I have to agree with Rambo, the typical reasons for why people beg strangers anywhere are the same in Jamaica. There is no mystery, but simple economics that most often cause the behaviour.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

I did not read the entire thread but Jamaica is no different than any other tourism based poor country. It's a s bad or worse in Mexico.

User Info Menu

The ones that are lazy>>>> beg. The ones that aren't lazy>>>>> work. Plain and Simple.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Jaherring,

The unemployment and underemployment rate in Jamaica is far higher than the USA, where both you and I grew up. While being lazy is no doubt a small factor in the total, the economics of being un/underemployed is a far greater factor. We both had about the same opportunity growing up, but without the benefits we received life could be vastly different for either of us. Had we been born in a developing country, not had the same opportunities we had, had less money for our education than we had, been less likely to find employment than we had - as the saying goes - there but for the grace of God, go I....

There are so many more reasons than being lazy that forces some people to resort to begging.

Heck, I bet we have both worked with many people who were lazy that didnt beg.... (grin)
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

This thread will cause some emotional responses, because of the wording of the title. I would not like to see a thread titled why do Canadians find it so easy to beg?, anymore than a Jamaican would like to see the title of this thread. In fact I would resent it. We have people begging in Canada, I have seen people begging in America, Mexico and Cuba... It is easy to tire of some healthy person on the beach begging you for a Red Stripe, or asking for $JA, but to make the jump to asking why do Jamaicans find it so easy to beg is just wrong. Others will take the opportunity to say what they think of Jamaicans, their work ethic, or their willingness to accept "Free Money". These are wrong, unfair generalizations. Many hard working Jamaicans around the world send remittances to family on the island, and are probably happy to be helping family at home. Maybe the family helped them get to another country, or they send money out of love for them. I doubt many, (maybe some). look at is as free money, since it must be understood that someone has worked hard to earn that money, and then sacrificed to send it home to Jamaica.
    One memory I have of Jamaica, is seeing a very elderly lady collecting bottles on a beach in Portland. She was doing what she could to get some money. She walked by me, not asking for anything, and I could not have been thinking at the time, because of all the money I have given away in Jamaica, surely I should have put some dollars in her hand. Maybe I was just so used to being asked. To this day, I regret not giving her some money.
    Not all Jamaicans find it so easy to beg.

User Info Menu

i think part of the reason they beg is because tourists are willing to give it to them .... it's simple economics: you ask ten folks, and one gives you some money, it's worth it. You ask fifty, and five give you money, etc. .... also, if the average tourists stays seven days, then one out of seven, on average, are on their first day and thus more apt to help .... folks on their SEVENTH day are less apt to help, presumably because they've been asked so many times .... but if you ask seven folks, on average one of them is on their first day, and thus more apt to give a handout ..... it's the basic principle of business: high risk, high return.

User Info Menu

I've been talking with another friend who's spent a lot of time in Negril, and asked him how many total people does he thing are actually begging. Neither of us think the total number is that large. 3 guys hanging around the bank asking everyone for money can change the atmosphere and color your perceptions of Negril. So that's a fair question: are you basing your impression of all Jamaicans on a small number of people in the main tourist areas? And how small is the number? Less than 100? Less than 50?

This also applies, I think, to the aggressive higglers. My estimate is that 25 of them can make the beach seem inundated with them.

User Info Menu

QUOTE]i think part of the reason they beg is because tourists are willing to give it to them .... it's simple economics: you ask ten folks, and one gives you some money, it's worth it.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this and I would futher offer the opinion that some give out of kindness and some out of fear. And this is how it usually goes with me personally, "Bigga mon, com yer! Brush mi up with sum ching, mon" (pleasantly) {and if that doesn't work} "Look mon! Ya no lik blakka mon?" Gimmi ere!" (a little less pleasantly).

The same tactics I see here in So. Florida. Try kindness and then use force if necessary.

Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.