Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do jamaicans find it so easy to beg.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wrtiii View Post
    Jeannie, I understand your disappointment, but I want to be clear that when I've been talking about the "business friendship", that's not a negative - it's just that I need to keep clear in my own mind what's going on.
    I competly understand and agree that it is not a negative. I think it is important that people be aware of the "business friendship" before they get attached and label it "friendship". There is nothing wrong with either, both are great, but both parties need to know where the line is drawn. There is a difference, it's just taken us a bit longer to learn that.

They'll look out for us while we're there (to some extent), and I'll compensate them (to some extent). They'll be genuinely be happy to see me, and I'll be happy to see them.
    Same here, some day. But now we'll be more aware of who is genuine in true friendship and who is not.

But I do occasionally need to say (at least to myself) "BS" when I'm hearing a story about why someone needs money, and I don't give them my contact information back at home. In the same way as I don't want to encourage anyone to beg, I don't want to encourage anyone to become a con artist.
    I try to implement that practice already but if I take it too far I am afraid I am going to come off as some cynical, cranky lady who is mean to everyone.
    I need to get thicker skin. This next trip I am applying what I have learned from fellow boardies and see how it goes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jeannieb View Post
    While the OP may not be PC, we all know what was meant. Was it a generalization, yes. Is it true all Jamaican's beg, no. When I read the OP I thought to myself "this sounds just like me".

I think we have all been asked for something from someone in JA. Be it people we have known for a long time or people we just met. In the last couple months this subject has been brought up on a few JA boards and it has made me re-evaulate our friendships in JA. Looking back there are only about 4-5 people in JA out of all we associate with that have never asked for anything nor do we bring anything and they still come to visit us when we are there. I am seriously looking into some of the "friendships" we have made that WE think are friendships when in fact they are just business deals. It hurts pretty bad when you have hung out with people for 4-5-6 years and WE think we are friends but then it hits that you are just another tourist and they are doing you a service in exchange for what you brought them, whether it be hanging out with you or sharing a meal.

We have a couple of friends in JA that we take gifts to on our returns. (I would do the same here if I went to visit someone I haven't seen in a long time). We don't go handing out gifts to everyone we meet. We take gifts for people we have known a few years who have treated us well and been kind. But when I return the following year and better more $$ things are expected or so and so's friend is now asking just to see what they can get, and we just met them, it makes me go "hmmmm".

I informed a few of the people we know in JA that we will be visiting a new place next trip. They seemed happy for us and said we'd love it. Only 2 said they'd miss us and 1 of the 2 said he'd be driving to see us. Those are 2 of the few that have NEVER asked for anything.

I have learned some lessons recently from these threads. I am no longer taking any gifts down just because they are asked of us. I will take and give what I can afford. If the "friends" are still around when they find out we really are not made of money, then they are friends. If they hit the road, then they only were interested in what they could get from us.

Now, as far as giving out phone numbers...there are about 5 people in JA that have our number. They got our number because a few years back after we knew (thought) we would be going to the same area, we thought it was good idea to have contacts. This was after knowing the people 2 or 3 years. It has been beneficial to some point. When we have any questions about what's going on, we call. Through these people, we have arranged contacts for places to stay, people to carry us in their cars, ect. They call us to check in every so often to make sure everything is ok. Then last year one person started calling asking for money. Sister died, car broke, "I'm broke". I won't lie...at first, we sent some money...but if you give a mouse a cookie, he's going to want a glass of milk. When it got too much, we stopped contact (just recently). His calls ave dwindled since NO has been uttered from our mouth. Now there are only about 3 people who call us every now and then to just check in. It's nice to hear from them. They say it's nice to hear our voice, they miss us. These are the same people who have never asked for anything and the same people who've told us we will love our new destination and 1 even told us "I figured you were ready for a break from here".

Why is it some of us tourists want to make friends so quickly in JA? Why do we let our guard down when it comes to people's intentions? Why are we so trusting? Maybe it's just the way I am?

I have heard on here before, "If you wouldn't do it at home, don't do it in JA". Problem is, I am friendly at home and I do give to others at home. My husband yells at me all the time for being too nice to stangers. STRANGER DANGER he tells me. lol. So what gives?

Rob, you were right in your post that friendships take time to develope. We have to weed out the people with not so good intentions. We are in the process of that now. We may return to our beloved vacation spot in the future but it will be different. We won't have as many "friends" but the ones that remain will be good. *cry*

I have learned so much in the last year since returning from our past (7th, *we're still noobs) trip from people sharing experiances on JA boards. This is one of the subjects that comes up and everyone (including me) at some point says "that'll never happen to me". I remember thinking "I told myself I would never let this happen" but it does and it will. You will lose friends but in the end you will know who is true. Peace all.
    Well said Jeanie B, I have always been given even in the states, but I believe it is because I know how it is to live without things not even a decent pair of shoes. I also learned to appreciate when people give me things and am beyond grateful. Those so called friends who you give to in Jamaica are not appreciative and feel you owe them something. I have learned my lesson and will continue to give to the children in Jamaica because it warms my heart to do so.

User Info Menu

jeannieb, I must say you are darn good at multiple quotes, thats gonna take me a while to figure out! I have made some forever lasting friendships in Jamaica that I will cherish until the day I die, and for that I am so very thankful.

User Info Menu

Thank you Delta. No one can truly understand unless you have had similar experiences. Too many scenarios to post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta View Post
    Sorry that has happened to you buttrfly. I say find a new driver. Once you out the car and back at your hotel, that's it that's all.

People don't be offended by her original statement; she has apologized for the generalization and it seems as if all she was doing was just venting (some get so sensitive)

User Info Menu

In my opinion I feel those Jamaicans that think it is easy to give out money if you're American/tourist is because they have never traveled outside of Jamaica. Which is unfortunate that visas aren't given out so easily. Just like the quote about Jamaica "Once you go, you know". Once they live in the USA, You have to work hard because money is not freely given away.
    Quote Originally Posted by smith744 View Post
    question(s)::::>>> have you asked this/these question(s) of your Ja-boyfriend AND his family...???...

what they say..??
    what did they tell you..??

if i wanted to know why the chicken crossed the road,
    i'd ask the chicken

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lapurr View Post
    jeannieb, I must say you are darn good at multiple quotes, thats gonna take me a while to figure out!
    It took me a while. Click "Reply with quote" when you want to respond and then delete the parts that aren't pertaining to what you are talking about. Copy and paste the orignal quote with brackets and repeat. Just make sure you leave the brackets and everything within them. Now if I can figure out how to quote multiple posters in one response...

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
    In my opinion I feel those Jamaicans that think it is easy to give out money if you're American/tourist is because they have never traveled outside of Jamaica. Which is unfortunate that visas aren't given out so easily.
    Butterfly,

Many of "those Jamaicans" you are mentioning will never ever be allowed to enter the USA unlike the privilege that Jamaica offers the USA! You are aware that Americans are allowed to enter Jamaica rather easily where as America prevents Jamaicans from entering the borders rather passionately, and that is by the USA government! You are aware that minimum wage Americans earns substantially more than the minimum wage Jamaican does per hour for the exact same labor? If so, please help me understand the point you are trying to make.

Are you saying because Americans are better off that they should hold it over the rest of the world? Not sure what point you are trying to make....
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

I think you missed the whole point and way too sensitive about the subject. I never stated anything about americans being better off or holding anything over the rest of the world's head. ??? You sound very bitter, read the post again. You're taking things out of context. I said it is unfortunate that jamaicans cannot get visas so easily. I am not the american government and do not make the minimum wage law so stop being so uptight. You are making me out to be a jamaican hater or something, my man is jamaican and has his visa. I just started a thread that seems to be getting too controversial. Next time i'll keep my comments to myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    butterfly,

many of "those jamaicans" you are mentioning will never ever be allowed to enter the usa unlike the privilege that jamaica offers the usa! You are aware that americans are allowed to enter jamaica rather easily where as america prevents jamaicans from entering the borders rather passionately, and that is by the usa government! You are aware that minimum wage americans earns substantially more than the minimum wage jamaican does per hour for the exact same labor? If so, please help me understand the point you are trying to make.

Are you saying because americans are better off that they should hold it over the rest of the world? Not sure what point you are trying to make....

Administrator

User Info Menu

Butterfly,

I am not trying to find out anything other than what you meant. I may have missed your whole point, but that is why I am asking you to help me understand. You say " I feel those Jamaicans that think it is easy to give out money if you're American/tourist is because they have never traveled outside of Jamaica". I can understand you saying that, but not sure what you meant since America actively prevents these same Jamaicans you are talking about from entering the USA. Wouldnt the "not being allowed to enter America" be a bearing on the way they view the USA? Could the way many Jamaicans view America be based on the way America views the Jamaicans? If you are not allowed in someplace, doesnt that sometimes make you want it just that much more?

I am not sure why you think I would be bitter, I am American and grew up there. But just because I am American doesnt mean that I have to believe that America is always right. I truly dont understand the point you are trying to make. Since Jamaicans are not allowed to visit America like Americans are allowed to visit Jamaica, how can it be a misunderstanding on the Jamaican side? Isnt America preventing that understanding in the first place?
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

I didn't take her post in a negative light at all - I interpreted her comment to mean that many of Jamaicans who beg money have not travelled outside of Jamaica, so their perception of what life is like in the rest of the world, including America, is based on what they see from people vacationing (a time when many freely spend money), TV, news, etc... - that it is unfortunate they are not easily given visas to other countries (not only America) and have the ability to travel and truly experience for themselves what goes on in other areas.