Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do jamaicans find it so easy to beg.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
    In my opinion I feel those Jamaicans that think it is easy to give out money if you're American/tourist is because they have never traveled outside of Jamaica.
    I know plenty of people that have never left the island yet they dont beg. The reasons people beg in Jamaican are no diff than those that beg in Times Square - laziness, drugs, etc.
    I feel it is because so many Jamaicans from the touristy areas are successful at getting money from tourists. While you may not be comfortable giving, you have to realize that there are many people that are more generous and/or more naive and give LOTS of money away. For every 5 people that a lazy beach bum calls, at least 1 is gonna fall for the sad story and send money (unofficial statistic).
    I am with Seveen, I dont give out my number.

User Info Menu

A Jamaican with a documented longtem income/business/land ownership could get a vacation visa to visit Disney World just we like we are allowed to visit the Negril disney world. Jamaica does not have to restrict US visitors as their is no incentive to go south to benifit from a stable wealthy government/socity. They have to reason to restrict us as long as our stay is inline with our intention (vacation) and we prove we have a ticket home.

As for the begging, i got begged at the gas staiton last week...again walking down the street in my small home town....Actually with the exception of Germany I have been begged in every county I have visited....
    BE A TRAVELR

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BR Mon View Post
    A Jamaican with a documented longtem income/business/land ownership could get a vacation visa to visit Disney World just we like we are allowed to visit the Negril disney world.
    In theory - sounds great - In reality, doesn't happen - I can give you many examples of people who have all of the above, letters from their employer verifying they have a job to return to on X date, etc... - and they are still denied a visitor visa - Their money will be taken - but it's russian roulette as to whether or not the visa is granted - On the flip side, I can give you examples of people who have none of the above yet were granted a visitor visa. There is no rhyme or reason to it.

User Info Menu

I have 2 people in Jamaica with my #... One is my driver. He never calls me, but is always glad when I call him.. usually because I am headed to ja and need a ride,but I have txt'd on holidays, and he always then calls me to visit for a few minutes... I realize we are business friends, but I do think we are friends.. he comes by to visit me and sit a while to catch up, even if I don't need a ride, has even brought his girl over one night last year and we Hung out all night..

However, this guy isn't broke. He does fairly well, and has even travelled allot .. has been to England, Canada and the usa.. not sure what magic he has found, but has really made a nice life for himself.. he doesn't ask for anything, even gives me good rates when I do go somewhere..

Then my other friend.. he slaves away, for pennies.. still he does it.. I met him whille he worked at the escape, but he apparently got let go.. I talked to him once in s while, he would be glad. To hear from me, and always asks how my family is doing.. never asked for money, although I never fail to give him a few hundred ja, when I know he didn't really have enough money to come visit while I am ja.. well, when I was getting ready to go last time I called him.. same ol conversation, but at the end, he wondered if I had any decent shoes or jeans, cause he just didn't have any.. he was specifically said he was looking for hand me downs.. so I went out and bought him a sweet pair if blue suede addidas , and a couple pair if jeans.. I don't feel like a SAP.. he is now working again, but still for about a grand a day.. never enough to go around.. when I got to the island, I bought him a bike, he has dreams of selling merchandise from a basket on his bike and making extra money, I just hope it eases his travel to and from work..

Now, I am not wealthy, and I have kids and a mortgage, and car payments.. still, I get to Jamaica or somewhere a couple times a year.. if I can afford that, I can afford to help someone who goes out of his way for me, even in a small way.. dont feel bad about giving.. they don't have it like us.. have limits, and don't be taken advantage of, but treat your friends to some perks in yourvlife sometimes.. very little can be quite allot. I will never forget my buddies face when we took him to the Rockhouse, he had never been, and you could tell.he thought it was classy.. were friends.. no problem

User Info Menu

A total of 1,268 Jamaicans were deported by United States authorities last year, continuing a downward trend since 2008 when the number totalled 1,603 followed by 1,480 in 2009.

Clifford Chambers, the security attaché at the Jamaican Embassy in Washington, said in an interview that more than 300 other Jamaicans have exhausted deportation proceedings and have been given final removal orders, while orders are pending against another 488.

According to Jamaica's Consul General to New York Geneive Brown-Metzger, the number of Jamaicans in custody here is posing "a serious challenge for the Jamaican consulate".

She said her office has been "forced to quadruple the number of visits to detention and other centres where these nationals are held".

Brown-Metzger, who was speaking against the background of concerns among the Diaspora about the work being done by the consulate, said her office — like other sections of the Jamaican Government — "has been forced to operate with a reduced budget and staff".

Meanwhile, Chambers pointed out that many of those deported "have not committed what would be considered a serious crime", rather the majority were guilty of "overstaying their entry permits".

He said some people have been deported for drug-related offences and, in a few cases, murder.

United States authorities, meanwhile, estimate that there are about 5,000 undocumented Jamaicans in the country. But Chambers said that the figure is difficult to confirm.

He said that persons who have entered the US legally, but for whom there are no records of departure would fall in that category.

That, he pointed out, does not mean they are still here as there are instances where the official document, known as an I-94, which would confirm departure from the country may not have been processed.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...#ixzz1ZLusZNwa
    With 1,268 being deported in 2010 and another estimated 5,000 here illegally, (which is a very big joke), some were guilty of violent crimes and others just simply conveniently forgot to go home..... I would have to wonder why it is so difficult to come from Jamaica to the US? I was wondering just how many US Citizens reside somewhere in Jamaica illegally having overstayed their visas? A few and most just a few days overstaying and then going home. If Jamaicans went home after visiting here then more could come and visit.

Peace and Guidance.

User Info Menu

i got butterfly's point also, did not think it negative in any way, and i agree.

believe it or not, that old myth about America still exists- even in this day and age, some modern version of those old cliches about "streets paved with gold', & "land of milk and honey" still exists in the minds of people all over the world. to ppl who've not been here, the perception is still that we're loaded and it's easy to come by, just by being in America. I can't tell you how many of my friends who emigrated here thought they'd have it easy and get rich - only to discover when they got here how HARD they must work to make that 'milk and honey'.... and have returned to their home countries after they realize the quality of life here is nowhere NEAR the 'comfort and ease' they had been led to believe, all their lives.

just like we say about jamaica - vacationing and living there are two different animals -- same for here.... unless ppl move here, and become immersed into the working culture of the USA, they really don't 'get it', that we must bust our chops to have money to go on vacation, and spend (what seems to them) "freely". Even though we've busted our asses to GET that little bit of spending money to be able to throw around for a week, and WE know there's only a certain amount of it -- that's not obvious to others, who make the assumption we 'have it like that', and spend like that, 'all the time', just by virtue of being in America.

this notion is entrenched even further by the emigrants who, when returning home, make sure to wear their best clothes and bling on the plane, bring back as much gifts as they can, to look SUPER successful when they visit home... cause of course they want to make a good impression upon family and friends - nobody ever wants to admit they got that Miracle Visa, and are only struggling to barely get by. So, just like we do, they scrimp and save and put together a few blingy outfits to make sure they look successful, and bring plenty of spending cash, and treat as many ppl as they can when they get there. and of course, that only furthers the notion to others in the home country, that the USA is that brass ring they've wanted all their lives. i've seen this in action over and over again; sometimes to such an extent that emigre's don't want to visit home cause just like us THEY will also be begged - or worse - for the 'perception' of how much they have. it's a catch-22....

So for ppl who've never left their home country, there IS still a definite perception that everyone in the USA has loads of money to spare, share, and give away, and that it's 'easy' in the USA, so they may as well ask us to share/give, "since we have so much". I don't mean to imply that's the only reason "why" so many ask us for stuff - i think the answer to that is a combination of several things mentioned in this thread -- but i think it does play a part.
    Last edited by MissBlue; 09-29-2011 at 11:23 AM.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Accompong View Post
    With 1,268 being deported in 2010 and another estimated 5,000 here illegally...
    Quote Originally Posted by MissBlue View Post
    I can't tell you how many of my friends who emigrated here thought they'd have it easy and get rich - only to discover when they got here how HARD they must work to make that 'milk and honey'....and have returned to their home countries after they realize the quality of life here is nowhere NEAR the 'comfort and ease' they had been led to believe, all their lives.
    It is bit puzzling to me how both statements can be true. Why would there be so many illegal immigrants from Jamaica in the USA if they indeed have to work so hard that they want to return home?

What I find to be an interesting observation is that I have seen so many people immigrate to Jamaica from other countries, only to discover how difficult business as well as day to day life can be here at times. The number of success stories are far outnumbered by those who have come here, tried to make their dream happen, and then leave Jamaica to return to their home countries when their dream fails to become a reality...
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Suz View Post
    I didn't take her post in a negative light at all - I interpreted her comment to mean that many of Jamaicans who beg money have not travelled outside of Jamaica, so their perception of what life is like in the rest of the world, including America, is based on what they see from people vacationing (a time when many freely spend money), TV, news, etc... - that it is unfortunate they are not easily given visas to other countries (not only America) and have the ability to travel and truly experience for themselves what goes on in other areas.
    Thank you Sue, that is exactly what I meant.

User Info Menu

because my comment was anecdotal, not a blanket statement -- i was not speaking about "all" people - the same circumstances are not true for "every" person.

both statements can exist at the same time when we are speaking of MANY people -- some get here and love it, immerse into the lifestyle, and are hugely successful and happy. And some get here and discover it does not meet with the perception/expectations, and they realize they had a better quality of life BEFORE they came here. Those are the ones who prefer to return home when they discover America is not what they thought it would be. exactly the same dynamic that you describe in your 2nd paragraph - but in reverse. and that can be said for emigrants to ALL countries of the world -- some ppl blend and love it, some don't, and realize they were happier back home, the grass ISN'T always greener. and those are the ones who don't stay.

all i'm saying - and anecdotally relating some examples i personally know of - is that it's only after people experience it for themselves, can they really "get it" that the USA isn't the 'brass ring' they had been told all their lives that it was; that this dynamic exists, and that it plays a part in the subject matter of this topic. i never said i think it's this way for 'all' people, 'all' the time, in 'all' circumstances.
    Last edited by MissBlue; 09-29-2011 at 12:07 PM.

User Info Menu

I know a JA girl liveing in the states for a few years now. Last time we talked i asked her since she been here a while now does she still think everyone is rich and well off........she laughed and said no.The grass is all ways greener on the other side of the fence,and cheaper lol.