Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: negril in febuary - via a diffferent airport (kin)

User Info Menu

negril in febuary - via a diffferent airport (kin)

i have a couple of penpal friends in Kingston - that i have never met in person - and this year i was thinking of changing that.. i have been contemplating flying in to Kingston this year - meeting up and visiting my friends, maybe check out hope gardens and port royal, and then aftrer a couple days - making my way over to negril.. (kingston flights are actually a bit cheaper)

Have any of you guys flown in to Kingston? should i find a hotel IN Kingston?? or would i be better (safer) in the blue mountains or somewhere else? back after all the viloence over Dudas, my Kingston friend said Coronation market wasnt safe for her - let alone tourists - but recently she said she shopped there - and it was ok...

any opinions on this? i know the whole island has allot to offer - but is Kingston something i should just avoid?? has anyone been there recently? what was the vibe towards tourists?

thanks

User Info Menu

Sounds like a good reason to start in Kingston to me. I would take the oportunity to see Kingston area as you have some one to show you where to go or not to.

User Info Menu

Get the hotel in New Kingston, some places to visit Devon House, Emancipation Park, Port Royal, Strawberry Hill, the view overlooking Kingston is to die for. If time permits take a bike tour of the Blue Mountain or hike it. This experience will have you falling inlove with Jamaica all over again.

Kingston is the place where the parties don't stop

User Info Menu

Also, is there a shared ride service from Kingston to negril? Not route taxis with my luggage, butmore of a shared transfer from Norman Manly Int. To negril? Any other suggestions on getting over to negril.. I will fly home from mbj, so I got that covered..

User Info Menu

don't forget the bob marley museum

i think i read about bus (luxury) service to negril from kingston - let me check with some folks and get back to you on that

User Info Menu

Yes, there is a bus service now, its called South Coast or something like that? Comes to Negril. Google

User Info Menu

I did this route in July - I actually prefer flying into KIN - no major hassles, no huge lines - Definitely a lot to check out in the Kingston area, and worth a visit - Depending on what price range you are seeking, there are a ton of hotel options. Two I would recommend would be the Liguanea Club - right behind Emancipation Park, yet quiet and doesn't feel like you are in the city at all - great grounds. The other is Cityview, which is set up on the hill and is just beautiful -

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jasperpso View Post
    i have a couple of penpal friends in Kingston - that i have never met in person - and this year i was thinking of changing that.. i have been contemplating flying in to Kingston this year
    depending on how long your reach is.........
    would tell you if this visit in Kingston is worthwhile or not........
    to check out Kingston you should leave yourself a fair amount of time.........
    think anything under four days in the Kingston area wouldn't be fair to yourself.......
    plus you are going to loose the better part of a day traveling to Negril...........
    so that is close to a week you'll be tying up on vacation with your Kingston stop...........
    so if you are going for ten days or more..........
    like maybe close to a week in Kingston and close to a week in Negril......
    I'd say most definitely go for it..........
    this guy wouldn't do Kingston and Negril unless I was in Jamaica for two weeks or more......

just be very careful in Kingston and stick mostly to New Kingston........
    some of the worse conditions and poverty you'll ever see in your life will be in Kingston if you make that wrong turn..........
    and yes Kingston is the Wild, Wild West when it comes to partying.........nah tru

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    depending on how long your reach is.........
    would tell you if this visit in Kingston is worthwhile or not........
    well i am not booked yet, and not 100% but looking at 8 or 9 nights..
    But - i am sure spending the afternoon and a full day in kingston would give me time for a nice dinner with my friends, a couple night checking out the clubs, and a full day to go around kingston.. yes - i am sure i could give it more time and have a great time there - but i want to give negril some time too.. so on day 3 i would get up early and head to negril - if i leave early enough - should be able to get to negril for a late lunch, then 6 nights in negril - first time solo.. i dont think it sounds too bad..

i have always wanted to go to the Bob Marley museum, so i will have to work that in - possibly on the first afternoon.. i have always opted not to because it was just too much for one day, the way i am kinda looking at this is - this way i only have to make the trip one way to negril - not hafta go from negril to kingston and then back in 1 day..
    Last edited by jasperpso; 09-28-2011 at 01:26 PM. Reason: spelling

User Info Menu

if you have the money for it, you could fly from Kingston to Negril