Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Still have Money Questions

User Info Menu

Still have Money Questions

My husband and I are going non-inclusive for the first time in a few months (9xs all inclusive in Negril). I am still confused as to what to do about money for the trip. Hotel and transportation will be paid in full before we arrive. Our plan is we will each carry US$500 cash and use the safe in our room. We will change a few hundred at a time to Ja $$ at a Cambio and use a credit card when we can. At CCLP can we just charge our meal and bar bill to our room and pay with a credit card at the end of the trip? If we go to HiLo for alcohol and snacks can we use our credit card? I get the idea that using your cc at some restaurants is not advised so we will only use it at places like Rockhouse, Ivan's, Pushcart and use cash elsewhere. We do not feel comfortable bringing and using a debit card. There is just more protection if a cc is lost or stolen. Does this make sense?

User Info Menu

credit cards are good but check if there is any hidden charges when using outside your country. Also there is another type of debit card from visa, which you load with money and use as a normal visa card, its not linked to your debit card so no issues there,

User Info Menu

I have a capital one cc. No fees. Got it just for going to Jamaica.

User Info Menu

If you are each going to bring $500 in cash, why would you need to use a Credit Card anyways and I would never use a Debit Card anywhere but at the bank which will dispense more cash to pay bills. Having Jamaican money to pay for your goods and services will save you money in the long run and is way less dangerous than using a Credit or Debit card.

Peace and Guidance.

User Info Menu

@ accompong-thinking $1000 won't last us for 10 days drinking, eating 3 meals a day and tipping. Don't want to carry more cash than that. And don't even want to bring a debit card.

User Info Menu

I can only share what works for me... I never use a credit card ever. I exchange my $ before I leave the states, which isnt the best rate at all, but its convenient, the last thing I want to do when i reach jamaica is wait in line at the bank. I also never use the provided "safe"... funny, i just dont feel safe using the safe, I get creative instead! I also stash 1 credit card or debt card as a back up plan juss in case. $500 thats a start! As another boardie mentioned in a previous post whatever you plan on spending double that! Bring lots of $100 jamaican bills, they come in handy! Again, this isnt the 'right way' to do it, but it works for me! Have fun!

User Info Menu

CCLP has electronic safes in the room. You set the combination. It was big enough to put the netbook in. Just take cash.

Regards,

Bob

User Info Menu

The first couple of days your money goes very fast, then you will slow down, alot.

I would only use CC for emergencies.

But, anyway you will have a fantastic time.

Enjoy, keep your cool. don't take life too serious and have fun!

User Info Menu

Depending on how much you drink, where you choose to eat and the number of "regular" taxis you take, $1,000 should be enough for 10 days. I stay 5 weeks and after paying for my hotel etc, I take about $1200 which I convert to Jamaican dollars. I prefer using them then you get used to the currency and don't have to worry about exchange rates. This is more often plenty. I do, however usually have breakfast at home and then use places like Sweet Spot (across from Alfred's) for dinner. I have also eaten at Kuyaba etc. Once in a while I do get more with my ATM card but NOT often at all.
    Irie Sue

User Info Menu

Take traveler checks .............. IF lost or stolen you can get your money back ASAP .............. the rates are nearly identical to exchange rates for cash money ........... CCLP used to exchange money for their guests but the rate was not quite as good as at cambio ........... also, there used to be a cambio on the road to town on the same side of the street as CCLP .......... maybe someone will post if it is still open ............... as for the amount of money to take, $100 per couple per day MAY be enough but my #1 rule has always been "take half the cloths and twice the money you originally planned on"