Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Using Travellers Cheques?

User Info Menu

Using Travellers Cheques?

Have never used Traveller's Cheques...always brought cash. Know it would be alot safer to use travellers cheques but don't have a clue about them. Is there any problems cashing them at the Cambio? Do you get them in certain denominations? What happens if you lose them...are they guaranteed? What if you don't use them all? Can you change them back to cash when you get back home?

User Info Menu

That is the only time I use travelors checks is in Negril, they are no problem at the cambios as long as you have ID. Sometime it takes a while for them to find them at the bank when buying them.

User Info Menu

And if you dont use them all you can cash them in at the bank, or I like to save them for next trip, its like bonus spending money.

User Info Menu

Do they have an expiration date???

User Info Menu

Also wanted to say that I use 2 different banks where I live. Chase charges 3% for the checks. Not sure if M&T Bank even offers them. Couldn't find anything on their website so I'll have to stop in.

User Info Menu

I always use them. At my bank in Canada only charged 1% for American Express Traveller's Cheques. I usually get 50's and 100's and then cash them in $100-$200 at a time. We cash them at Banmark in the westend or at the Hi-Lo when we are shopping just with photo ID (driver's license). I find them very convenient and yes if you lose them they will be replaced. You just keep your copies separate from the cheques so if you lose them you have a record...you could even leave the cheque numbers with someone at home as well then you have extra backup if you lose the copies. They never expire and are replaced quickly if lost or stolen. I find it more convenient than going to the bank machine and the 1% fee is lower than charges at the ATM.

Here is some info:
    http://www212.americanexpress.com/ds...00defaad94RCRD
    Last edited by MiShell; 10-02-2011 at 10:48 AM.

User Info Menu

In Canada CAA which is the equivalent to AAA is US gives tr. chqs. with no fee. If your an AAA member check it out

User Info Menu

If I take TC (sometimes I do, sometimes I don't), I get them at AAA for no cost as Boogzy mentioned. Many cambios will give a slightly lower exchange rate for TC than cash. Taking a mix of $$$ & TC works well. If I have any left when I return home, I either use them at the grocery store where I get very strange looks or just deposit them back into my bank account. Good pointers already given on keeping the numbers secure. I've never lost any but it's nice to have the security just in case of a worse case scenario.

User Info Menu

I've always taken TCs and £100 in Us$ in low notes for tipping on way, had no problems changing them at any cambio just needed to show photo ID and sign in front of casher,

User Info Menu

I'm a AAA member so get the free ones there. I cash them at cambios as needed. Usually get a combo us $100, $50 and $20's.

They give you the serial #s on a piece of paper, put them somewhere away from the checks in case the checks are lost or stolen. I'll often leave a copy of the serial #s at home too, so I can call home and have someone there handle getting the replacements for me.