Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Mi Caan Believe Nuh April Roll Call...

User Info Menu

Re: Mi Caan Believe Nuh April Roll Call...

44 days! Woohoo !! ����

User Info Menu

33 Days again

Cap

linston@redplate-negril.com

User Info Menu

Deb&Luc April 9th to April 16th Grand pineapple

User Info Menu

Exactly 3 weeks and counting!! So stoked! I made my reservations and got my flight 6 months ago. It's been a long...damn...six month!!

User Info Menu

36 long days left until the party starts!!

User Info Menu

Mi Caan Believe Nuh April Roll Call...
    Every time I see this I can't help but cringe just a little.

"Mi nah caan believe" would be roughly translated as "I can not believe" and "Mi caan believe nuh" would be roughly translated as "I can believe no" I think that is exactly opposite of what you mean, right?

Just wondering if I was missing something. Some things just get lost in translation as they say.

Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

So, you've been "cringing" since November
    "Yeah, I'm cocky and I am arrogant. But that doesn't mean I'm not a nice person."

—Jeremy Roenick

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
    So, you've been "cringing" since November
    Actually, I have only seen it since returning from the winter in Accompong Town in mid-January but whenever it rises to the top.... yes!

I have an affection for patwa but don't often use it unless I know what I am saying.

How about you? Did you ever notice even without cringing?

Maybe you just have a higher threshold to the cringe point? Not a big deal because everyone seemed to know what it said.

I had a Jamaican friend looking over my shoulder when I first saw it and he busted out laughing. Me? I just cringed. Maybe at the sound of his laugh. Not too sure.

Not cringing anymore so, thank you for asking.

User Info Menu

I would love to speak patwa and understand it better. What I don't understand is a few people on these boards that post in broken English like they are a Jamaican and having trouble with the English language.

I often read their posts and wonder what in the world are they trying to say. They type as if they are speaking patwa and almost every time they are American. As a matter of fact, when I talk with my Jamaican friend online they never talk like that.

Many of the posts are filled with commas and the return key is hit several times during the message usually making a very narrow and long message.

I have learned to pass over these posts without reading them and I just shake my head wondering what they are trying to prove.
    July 1993*, Feb 2003, Aug 2005, April 2007, Feb 2008, Feb 2009, April 2010, Nov 2010, Nov 2011, Nov 2012, March 2013*, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, March 2015*, Nov 2015*, April 2016*, Oct 2016, Nov 2017*, May 2018*, Nov 2018*, Oct/Nov 2019*, Dec 2020*, Dec 2021*, May 2022* (Portland), Dec 2022* (Irish Town/Strawberry Hill), Dec 2023*, Dec 2024*

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gregandkelly63 View Post
    I would love to speak patwa and understand it better. What I don't understand is a few people on these boards that post in broken English like they are a Jamaican and having trouble with the English language.

I often read their posts and wonder what in the world are they trying to say. They type as if they are speaking patwa and almost every time they are American. As a matter of fact, when I talk with my Jamaican friend online they never talk like that.

Many of the posts are filled with commas and the return key is hit several times during the message usually making a very narrow and long message.

I have learned to pass over these posts without reading them and I just shake my head wondering what they are trying to prove.
    I feel your pain [sigh},,,,,

Actually, when I see their thread headings it just gives me more time to read others.

Almost everywhere I have traveled in the world, people like it when you at least try to speak their language even when you do a poor job of it but writing out a phonetic dialect like Patois is a little different. The majority of the attempts at patwa on this board are a poor example of the patwa that is written for instance on Facebook by the youth of Jamaica. Most of that is very difficult to figure out with all the colloquialisms and "short speak". On here it is like; "nuh" = no and "caan" = can etc. but the syntax of the sentence is rarely equivalent to the way a Jamaican speaks the same idea.

Does make you wonder what they are trying to prove, doesn't it?

Peace and Guidance