Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 12 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast

Thread: Manda's first trip to jamaica sept 2011

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clarity View Post
    Those video clips
    Oh. My. God. <----- this is me with my jaw dropped.
    What is she.... Did he just....
    I've been to some wild parties, but that..I.. LOL
    ...and regarding 1st Video 0:31 - Does shaking your booty mean you are inviting a man to leap out of the shadows and grind you into the floor?
    If that's the case, I will just be doing an innocent two-step shuffle when I go to the jungle. She was just dancing.. and then BAM!

Loving your trip report, Manda!
    I'm enjoying every word! Thanks for sharing your adventures!
    Looking forward to next installment!

That is called "Daggering" and has been going on for years, here are some reports on the injuries caused by it :P

http://www.google.com.jm/search?q=br...ient=firefox-a

You would think that would be enough to stop the guys from doing it but no...LOL

Here is a video that shows it is best to watch and not participate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvzRdQBIC6s

One Love
    Tracy

User Info Menu

Dancehall dancing is a huge part of the Jamaican club scene if at a dancehall club.The video Manda posted just looked like it had one or two people joining in with the dancing but in the nightclubs you can see a lot of people doing variations of the dance!Fora lot of dancehall songs there is a matching pre-rehearsed dance and if it is a well loved track sometimes the whole room will break out into the dance routine.It is fun to watch.Dancehall dancing has been present for many years unfortunately there were two dances which were dangerous one was the dutty wine and the other was what was posted above.
    As for the girl on the beach that video is old and I have no idea of what or why she was treated that way.
    All I can say is that the whole dancehall vibe is massive and it is great fun and entertainment and very energetic!A lot of the dances require a lot of energy and a lot of practise is put into some of those pre rehearsed routines.The outfits can sometimes be amazing too.
    If you have never seen it before just look up jamaica dancehall queen on youtube there are thousands of video clips.Dancehall and dancehall queens have a massive following in Jamaica.Special events are held to see who is the best dancehall queen.People sign up from all over the world and Japan actually took over a year or two as the Japanese people went crazy for dancehall.They loved it,copied it entered all the competitions and many came away with prizes.
    Tracy has said it is best to watch and not participate.That was ONE incident and we have no idea why or how that happens,crap happens sometimes.
    I can say I have lost count of how many hundreds of Jamaican dancehall parties I have attended and I have NEVER witnessed any one having anything but fun.
    Oh and by the way if you decide to wear tight shorts or bikini bottoms and your booty goes in the air-yes probably expect a dagga dagga!They just do the dance though.Thats how it goes.You do not have to put your booty in the air to join in the fun though!
    Dancehall music is BIG in Jamaica it comes from Jamaica.Jamaica is where the dancehall singers and dancers come from.If you like dancehall Jamaica is the best place to experience the singers , the dancers, the concerts, the parties.
    The scene is HUGE and one of the draws to Jamaica for people who like the scene.You cannot find the party vibe anywhere else in the world like that.Trust me I went looking!

User Info Menu

Oh. My. God. <----- this is me with my jaw dropped.
    What is she.... Did he just....
    I've been to some wild parties, but that..I.. LOL
    dats nuttin......lol.......you can always take a walk on the wild side when in Jamaica.........
    you can be a participaint or just an observer

enjoying the awesome report.......makes one homesick for sur.......nah tru

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TiCtOc View Post

Practise your moves
    LOL tic!! you had me cracking up at my desk with that video
    No, My booty will not be up in the air beckoning for a "dagga dagga" haha

Especially after watching that video of the dancing tourist that Tracy posted! ( oh my god!.)

Yes, I'll be watching and not participating. .

Marko - what do you mean that's nothing?! lol

I spent six nights in Negril and I thought I had seen a lot.
    Apparently I haven't seen anything yet.

Manda - Keep it coming!
    Last edited by Clarity; 10-07-2011 at 06:51 PM.
    Carpe Diem

User Info Menu

I spent six nights in Negril and I thought I had seen a lot.
    Apparently I haven't seen anything yet.
    in Negril most interesting things happen after midnite...not always.....but a lot......lol
    usually round 3AM....4AM......5AM...some of dem Adult Things happen at certain places....lol
    not that mi know much about dat kind of stuff.....mi usually in bed by then.......lol

dem say if you go der enuff........you become naturalized.........lol

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

Oh and the video tracy posted was of a tourist in Kingston not negril and she definately had experience with the dances and so she will have known that going to a place in Kingston in a miniskirt apparently with no friends and dancing in the middle of a huge crowd doing those moves once she was backing it up she would have known someone would have danced with her.Even if he was too fast for her and she got sand in her mouth and got mad!

User Info Menu

that video of that girl on the beach that I took isn't old.. I took that video with my camera while I was there .. but I know the dancing is not new .. it's been going on a long time I'm surprised at the response I have to say because I was not surprised with the dancing. But from what tic toc said it seems as if you're saying the video I posted was old .. hope you meant the white girl video that was posted after mine because I've seen that .. lol that is quite old it's been on Youtube for a while but that's an extreme basically to make fun of that girl. Almost like when I saw the two girls mount that old Jamaican man just to embarrass him, that's why Andre was so put off with it was because he knew those two Ja girsl was just tryin to make a fool of that old man. But Dancehall is fantastic it's an electricity you can't match anywhere... and tictoc is right when you see a song that everyone knows and people bust out in a routine it's invigorating. I have to say though because the cameras were on that particular area the area looked clear there was a sea of people beyond that, that looks like they weren't interested in being the next Dancehall Queen wanna-be so the crowd was beyond the cameras. Either way I agree with TicToc its a huge part of Jamaican culture and to really truly appreciate it, you need to catch it in Jamaica.

User Info Menu

I guess I'm just "old school" (and I love reggae music to the MAX....conscious reggae miyah talk), but I just don't see the point....saw these (similar) types of moves in a reggae club in NYC 15 years ago, when the two participants just got up & walked away from each other after the dance was over.....just can't see it....sorry!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Manda81 View Post
    that video of that girl on the beach that I took isn't old.. I took that video with my camera while I was there .. but I know the dancing is not new .. it's been going on a long time I'm surprised at the response I have to say because I was not surprised with the dancing. But from what tic toc said it seems as if you're saying the video I posted was old .. hope you meant the white girl video that was posted after mine because I've seen that .. lol that is quite old it's been on Youtube for a while but that's an extreme basically to make fun of that girl. Almost like when I saw the two girls mount that old Jamaican man just to embarrass him, that's why Andre was so put off with it was because he knew those two Ja girsl was just tryin to make a fool of that old man. But Dancehall is fantastic it's an electricity you can't match anywhere... and tictoc is right when you see a song that everyone knows and people bust out in a routine it's invigorating. I have to say though because the cameras were on that particular area the area looked clear there was a sea of people beyond that, that looks like they weren't interested in being the next Dancehall Queen wanna-be so the crowd was beyond the cameras. Either way I agree with TicToc its a huge part of Jamaican culture and to really truly appreciate it, you need to catch it in Jamaica.
    I think I was the only one surprised by the dancing. I've never seen daggering before.

TicToc was referring to the dancing tourist that was dragged through the sand. (Youtube video Tracy posted)

I'm looking forward to catching some Dancehall on my next trip! I feel like you definitely had a more authentic Jamaican experience than I did. You were able to really spend time with locals and soak up the culture. I was mostly in a hotel, your trip report is really eye-opening and so much fun to read.
    Last edited by Clarity; 10-07-2011 at 07:51 PM.
    Carpe Diem

User Info Menu

Love love love this report...and the pics and video rock. Keep it comin