Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 45 of 48 FirstFirst ... 35404142434445464748 LastLast

Thread: Manda's first trip to jamaica sept 2011

User Info Menu

I just can't see you being "red flagged" for what?? you didnt do anything!!!!`You didnt have drugs, you had a valid passport, and a Jamaican boyfriend!! not a big deal!! A positive test for coke, on your hands..that is probably not even %100 legit...they have nothing! they can't do jack $h!t !

User Info Menu

I've been very busy but finally had the chance to catch up this afternoon! What a great report Manda, loved it except of course for you're experience with Canadian Customs

I've only been sent to the right once...last year, trip #7...my hungover husband said "I dunno" when the lady asked him if the wood carvings were treated. ARGH! I only had to pull them out for the agent to look over, no big deal. I feel so bad for what you went through!!

Also, I go every year around the first week of March. Last year I paid $334 r/t (taxes IN) the 2 previous years were around $350. Watch for seat sales after the Christmas/New Years season!! $600 is TO much

sandy-girl : Absolutely!!

User Info Menu

doesn't matter lapurr- since she went through this process this time around, and is now documented as having done so, and is in now in 'that' database - they can indeed redflag her for future travel - whether or not they found anything. i agree it's totally illogical, but customs often isn't logical. just read CaptnD's post earlier in this thread - (or maybe that's the other thread, the one about 'similar to manda's expereince')

and yes sandy, while it's not likely, and doesn't happen a lot - it is possible that someone can be charged duty on any item(s) that are brought as gifts, or are even just perceived by the examining officer, to appear that it is a gift. of course, they would only see such items IF one's bags are searched upon arrival - which also doesn't happen often. i've been asked "what's in your bags" almost every time i go, but they've never actually looked IN the bags to see; they've always accepted my answer. others have had their bags searched when they get to JA -- you just never know....
    Last edited by MissBlue; 10-26-2011 at 03:37 PM.

User Info Menu

I agree with Miss Blue and some of the other posters. Just give a hotel name. If you are not comfortable with that, then sure, give Andre's address and say you are staying at a friends. But really, less said the better. they don't need a ton of info, just a contact address--and they don't even need specific address, just name of hotel and Negril. Sometimes I stay multiple hotels in Mobay and Negril and at friends but just give the hotel name of the first place I am staying.

As far as giving names to customs officers--I would not do it, ever. I don't smoke or partake in other drugs so if they did find something on my luggage or person--I know it ain't me so even though it would be a hassle to deal with--nothing serious would come of it. But I wouldn't want it down for the record that a friend or boyfriend smokes. So many people do in JA--including taxi drivers, people at the resorts, etc that it would be all to easy I guess to have the smell on your stuff. But even after a dozen trips, I never got "pulled over" by customs--and most of my JA friends are heavy smokers.

All that aside, I have to once again give you thanks for the awesome report and can't wait till you can go again! It is always such a joy to read a report that resonates and takes you right there to relive past trips. Jah Bless!

User Info Menu

Manda...super awesome deals in March...paid $99 RETURN from Calgary!
    total cost including taxes $217 or something crazy like that! again that was including a return ticket...just nutz, and that wasnt a last minute deal...sale went for a while! keep your eyes open...I'll let you know if I see anything too!
    flights: aircanadavacations.com not aircanada.com

User Info Menu

Ooooh 217!!! I'm droooling lol I will definitley hold out then and keep watching. It might just be best to wait until after Christmas then but god do I ever want to to click that mouse and say I'm booked but to save 400 dollars I'll keep my hands to myself for now lol

User Info Menu

Manda,

If you don't mind a day of travel, check out Spirit Air from Niagra Falls. Problem = leave at 1 am with a layover in Miami and you dont arrive until 3 in the afternoon we have seen fairs there for under 300 taxes in rtn.

User Info Menu

Katho and Miss Blue,

Oh dear, I had no idea. On my last reach, over two years ago as I was at customs in Mo' Bay the officer asked me if I had anything to declare. Of Course, I said no because I didn't in my mind's eye, right?

Well, she looks at me in the eye and says, "Are you bringing in anything for sale?" I'm not selling anything in JA, I'm going on vacation. So I say, "No ma'am. I have nothing for sale"

But she looks at me again and says, "Are you sure?"

I'm like this woman is getting me nervous now. I've traveled plenty, all over and I've never been stopped or checked, so this was new to me and I got a little nervous. More-so, because I noticed that the

customs tables were full Jamaicans coming from Curacao. I found out that these ladies travel to that island and bring stuff in to JA for sale.

Well, anyway when she asked again I told the lady, "I have a few gifts, but nothing for sale, never!" She then asked me what my gifts were? I told her, "Some costume jewelry, some underwear, and a couple of
    colognes."

Hey, I was trying to relax while she stared at me. Now keep in mind I've been travelling since I was a kid and this has never, ever happened to me. And this wasn't even bad compared to what happened to

some of you and Manda.

Well, she looked at me, then back at my passport, back at me, back at the passport, and that card you fill out on the plane stamped both returned my documents and said to me, "Welcome Back to Jamaica!

Enjoy your stay" Whaaa! Phew! I walked out of there as quickly and as calmly as I could.

So, although I felt funny I swear that by her letting me go by that gifts weren't taxed.

Thanks for the info...
    Last edited by sandy-girl; 10-27-2011 at 01:39 PM.

User Info Menu

Hijacked comments

Quote Originally Posted by sandy-girl View Post
    Miss Blue, do they actually charge duty on gifts?
    Yep, the duty can be more than the cost of the gifts. Traveling as an ex-pat my luggage has been searched more times that it hasn't. I realized they prefer my hubby so I let him go through the nothing to declare line with the kitchen sink while they try to figure out what I have in my pocket book. New clothes for myself and the kids, I will remove the tag or even wash to get rid of the newnest. I have been asked to pay 'lunch money' to avoid been assessed the duty.

"but it doesn't necessarily follow, logically speaking,"
    Not much in Jamaica follows LOGIC or is ever as it seems. They target ex-pats or frequent visitors who they know are returning with things/gifts to help out their loved ones or friends on the island!
    Last edited by Sweet_Dawta; 10-26-2011 at 11:41 PM.
    IREE....JAMAICAN BORN AND BRED

User Info Menu

Bravo Manda! Loved every minute of it. When you write the book u can dedicate it to "Taye Diggs" and your negril.com family lol