Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sand Flea Bites Appearing Several Days Later???

User Info Menu

Sand Flea Bites Appearing Several Days Later???

Hi - my family of 4 returned from a fabulous vacation in Negril on Saturday. We visited a beach at the far West End last Wednesday at sunset, and everyone was immediately attacked by an army of sand fleas. Well, we jumped off that beach as fast as we could. The next day, one daughter was covered by swollen bites on her thighs and legs (she had sat on the beach). The rest of us had no noticeable bites at all. We had no other issues at all with bugs of any kind during our entire stay except for this one time. Our time and CocolaPalm, 7 Mile Beach and around Negril were literally bug free. We came back to So. Cal. on Saturday. Suddenly yesterday afternoon about 50 extremely itchy small red spots appeared on my ankles and lower legs. That is 6 days after our encounter with the sand fleas. Last night my other daughter, who did not know this had happened to me, texted me a pic of her legs multiple bites on her legs and ankles had appeared, even more than me. She was freaked out, thinking we had brought bugs home with us. My husband has had no such reaction, but he never reacts to any type of bites. I read that sometimes the sand fleas lay their eggs under the skin when they bite (oh my!) - might this have happened to us? Do we need to do anything now?

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Re: Sand Flea Bites Appearing Several Days Later???

It happened to me once a long time ago. The thing is that I didn't wash all of my things when I got home. Some were unused so I thought I could wear them. Apparently there must have been sand in them thus sand flies. Now I wash EVERYTHING in my suitcases when I get home and have never had that problem again. Perhaps this happened to your daughter as well.
    Irie Sue

User Info Menu

No worries I live year round in sw florida the sand fleas,no seeums can be horrible particularly close to sunset. The bites often don't show up til after fact and yes they itch and leave pinpoint red dots all where the feasted. The will go away just try not to itch em.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reassurance!

User Info Menu

FIRST-ly,
    I wanna/GOT TO know::::>>>> WHERE was this so-called ''..beach..'' on the WestEnd ((??)) .......???

...was the beach near Canoe, MiYard or some such place(s) ... ??..

am having a HARD-time figure-ing out where there's a true-true & proper *beach* on WestEnd.

SECOND-ly,
    your situation frightens me
    :-(

as mentioned-above,
    you *probably* brought home some sand flea eggs
    ...but i'm having a h-a-r-d time trying to figure-out how that happened

ummmmmmmmmmmm
    if there was an ''..army..'' of sandfleas,
    perhaps 'twas some kind of breeding/egg-laying season thing-y

ummmmmmmmmmmmmm
    maybe Google and/or Wikepedia ''..sand fleas...''', and check on their lifecycle,,,,, to see how long it takes for freshly-laid eggs to hatch

this situation has we curious & a likkle-likkle concerned,
    'cause i'd hate for that to happen to me

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    you in southern-California

me in up-South small town WashingtonDC
    ..'tis colder here, as we speak
    ummmmmmm
    me no worry, with this cold-cold weather and SNOW, dem sand flea pickneys will DIE before they bite anybody [[[ knock on wood ]]]

probably be dead-dead before the returing-plane gets on the ground

FINALLY:::>>> if dem fresh & recent bite-marks pop-up again, I'd run-run-RUN to a doctor, to get things checked-out
    AND
    call the Orkin man.

again::::>>>> WHERE was this WestEnd beach...???
    be hapPpy

User Info Menu

Westender?

Cap

linston@redplate-negril.com

User Info Menu

Westender is what I was thinking. Other than Mary's Bay, and the little beach across from Sunshine Plaza.

User Info Menu

Smith is spending too much time in Lucea! Probably never been south of the Light House in Negril!! LMAO

VVHT

User Info Menu

I can't speak from experience in Jamaica, but we go camping in the FL Keys every year, and the no-see-ums and mosquitoes love me. The no-see-ums tend to bite like crazy from the knees down, and then nothing... until a couple of days later when the welts appear on me. Sometimes I'll have new welts appear days after getting home. I don't think I've ever had a 6 day delay though- that's a new one on me. Benadryl cream for the itch?

User Info Menu

Get to a Dr, could be hookworm...itch like hell! I now use Bugguard by avon...sunscreen and insect repellent especially on my feet and ankles.