Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flights from NYC to MBJ

User Info Menu

nothing fishy -- part of what drives air ticket pricing is what is available on the date you wish to travel. as the date gets closer, more and more seats are sold.... there are "blocks" of tickets offered at bargain price, blocks at the mid-price, etc., on up to full price. As the cheap seats sell off, all that's left are the more expensive ones. Add to that, on the 'peak' travel days, (especially around holiday times) prices start out higher, and sell off faster - then you have even higher prices being the only ones left as the date gets closer....

it's hard to know the exact right moment - do I grab up the ticket, or wait a little longer?? .... when you have to consider the balance of all these factors -- but it's not fishy, it's just the basic economics of pricing, based in part upon supply-and-demand. although the trend can be an educated guess (we know certain dates will be higher demand... i.e holidays - when demand is greater, supply is lower, and therefore prices are higher) - the customer really has no way of knowing at any given moment what the demand is for a specific date - so it's always a kind of dance to know when to push the button.

User Info Menu

Now I think MissBlue sound fishy..haha

User Info Menu

Name:  19885-blue-fish-with-bubbles-clipart-picture-by-djart.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  17.3 KB

User Info Menu

jetblue.com still has decent fares even for Thanksgiving weekend out of JFK. Best if you are flexible on days though, like it's just over $400 if you can do just over a week, Tues-Thurs.

Nonstop flights, great schedule (early in, late out), free snacks, free TV....can't beat it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by irieworld View Post
    yeah the cheapest flights for me fly to panama city then MBJ! crazy. Then at Christmas cheapest went to Canada and then direct from there to MBJ--just insane to fly in the opposite direction for hours.
    Are you kidding me? Cheapest way for you was through Canada? Are you serious? We have THE most expensive air fares on the planet, I am convinced! How so? Oh, and Just an FYI - depending on what part of Canada you fly through .... it ain't so great here around Christmas ... a likle cold!!! Wear your longjohns for the stop! Seriously!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MissBlue View Post
    nothing fishy -- part of what drives air ticket pricing is what is available on the date you wish to travel. as the date gets closer, more and more seats are sold.... there are "blocks" of tickets offered at bargain price, blocks at the mid-price, etc., on up to full price. As the cheap seats sell off, all that's left are the more expensive ones. Add to that, on the 'peak' travel days, (especially around holiday times) prices start out higher, and sell off faster - then you have even higher prices being the only ones left as the date gets closer....

it's hard to know the exact right moment - do I grab up the ticket, or wait a little longer?? .... when you have to consider the balance of all these factors -- but it's not fishy, it's just the basic economics of pricing, based in part upon supply-and-demand. although the trend can be an educated guess (we know certain dates will be higher demand... i.e holidays - when demand is greater, supply is lower, and therefore prices are higher) - the customer really has no way of knowing at any given moment what the demand is for a specific date - so it's always a kind of dance to know when to push the button.
    Hats off to you, MissBlue! If you understand air fares - you are way smarter than Sheldon and will get his Nobel prize for sure!

User Info Menu

Now M&G thats just plain funny. It took me a bit to get the reference.

User Info Menu

Today the prices are down a teeny bit. Air canada from JFK to Toronto (long a_ _ layover then to MBJ for $$635--892 w/tax. Ain't doing it!! Jet Blue would be near the same--$$775-842 w/tax. The dates I have are inflexible since I only get a few days off work. So I will keep searching but am resigned to going at a different time--not much cash to spare right now. Thanks, everyone for the responses.

User Info Menu

If you don't mind flying out of LaGuardia, you might want to check Spirit Air's prices.. they usually have great deals - I would fily them all the time - but I hate LaGuardia!
    The Earth is the Lord's and everything in it!

User Info Menu

I don't mind LaGuardia at all since it is close to me--only a 15 dollar car ride to get there in about 15-20 mins. I'll check it out