Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RIP CHARLIE (Groundskeeper - NBCC)

User Info Menu

Been sick since we knew him,tough guy...........I guess proves "Not all Jamaicans find it EASY to beg".....Damn Straight they all dont!
    "One of the laundry gals pipes up ,,"LOOK AT DA BLOOD"
    "YES,THAT WOULD BE MINE" I said as my leg that at first gave no pain, started dishing it out in large bunches........"

want more read our blog? our first trip.........http://negril.com/forum/entry.php?58...-The-Beginning

User Info Menu

The many years I've known Charlie (17-18???), he's always been Charlie. A couple of years ago I learned that his given name was Trevor. That was so not him - lol! I felt special that he'd told me that since he was Charlie to everyone. "It was easier for people to remember." he once told me.

I just can't believe he's gone. We were close in age yet so far apart in health. NBCC is not the same w/out him. I hope his family knows how much he was loved & how respected he was. He touched many lives in a positive way. That's special.

User Info Menu

I am so sad to hear of Charlie's passing. We saw him every day last year when we stayed at NBCC. I would sit on the patio every morning having coffee & we would visit. I did not realize he was so ill. I was looking forward to seeing him at the end of Oct. on our trip. He was a hard worker & a very humble, kind man. Our prayers go out to his family & friends. R.I.P. Charlie
    Getting Old Isn't For Sissy's!!

User Info Menu

His "given" name was Trevor Mahoney, but he was right........... so much easier "Charlie"
    "YES,THAT WOULD BE MINE" I said as my leg that at first gave no pain, started dishing it out in large bunches........"

want more read our blog? our first trip.........http://negril.com/forum/entry.php?58...-The-Beginning

Sponsor

User Info Menu

God Bless Charlie he was one of many sweet souls we know. You will be missed my friend.
    Visit #56 soon come

Sponsor

User Info Menu

In all the years we stayed there, I remember seeing him, but never really knew him. Cancer?

User Info Menu

This is truely sad news; it took my breath away. Our first trip was 89 or 90 and we had figured out with Charlie one time that he had just started at NBC. He spent his days sweeping the sidewalks and he brought my wife her first Jamaican apple to try (horrible!). I don't think he was more than a teenager at the time so he wasn't more than 40 something when he passed. We hadn't seen him in a couple of years because he had been sick or in the hospital when we visited. We were so happy to see him last February but he had aged so much i almost didn't recognize him. He was a wonderful guy and no visit will be the same without him.

Charlie, rest in peace, we'll miss you!

User Info Menu

rather than posting his cause of death, which I would not do without his family's permission, lets just say he suffered a "terminal sickness".........which was with him in painful bouts, until the end............

I can just hope to have his strength and outlook.........for which I would be a better person........

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Rumlover;15284]I don't think he was more than a teenager at the time so he wasn't more than 40 something when he passed.QUOTE]
    Actually Charlie was more like 60ish. We were about the same age & I was surprised to learn that years ago as, I too, thought he was younger. He just looked younger until, as you stated, his illness began to take a toll on him. The last few years had been difficult. He persevered & did his best to work around his increasing limitations & he never complained. A great person, a well-respected man.

User Info Menu

beautiful picture of him Yvonne - maybe you can print one up and give it to his family