Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 16 of 44 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126 ... LastLast

Thread: Trip Report July/August 2016

User Info Menu

Re: Trip Report July/August 2016

A night of Music and more…

The party tonight is at Chubby’s place. He and his wife own a cool bar by the sea called Little Rocky Point Club & Restaurant. The first time I walked inside, the interior threw me back to 1980 when I and my girls would hit the spots every Friday & Saturday night. The sectional, black faux leather padded seats enclosing a booth would be our station for the night. Dainty glasses of slow gin fizzes lined the wobbly table where we sat waiting for various characters to stroll by and ask us to dance. OR if “Shame” by Evelyn Champagne King came on…then we all jumped on the dance floor partners or not.

But tonight, the throw-back party takes place on a strobelight lit dance floor in a club opposite the Priestmans River in Portland Jamaica. Instead of 80’s R&B, the selector channels vintage reggae & dancehall through the 6-foot speakers inside the club and the 10-foot monster sound system outside. Chubby throws at least three organized parties like this a month…I was fortunate enough to attend one. Most parties are free with a cash bar; others may be for a specific cause so an entrance fee of no more than 200J would be requested.

I go inside for my drink of…what else…double shot of overproof, then make my way to the space on the wall behind the monster sound system where the music isn’t so eardrum busting.

User Info Menu

Bass shaking the rum and ting in da cup!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

I see a group of young people in a mild frenzy taking pictures with their phones of something on the ledge right where I intend to sit. I approach thinking I’ll just take a seat and watch them. Well my eyes zoomed in on what had their attention.

Noooooo those few hermit crabs weren’t the center of attention, it was their family and friends on the other side of the stone wall that had the girls squealing and the guys chiming “B*C”. I looked over the edge but didn’t get the full effect until the flash from my camera cast the spot light on the scene.

There were literally hundreds of hermit crabs in this one section on the wall and the ground in front of it. Now, I was the only girl in my neighborhood who thought little crawly things were cool so this, to me, was super cool. Being nocturnal, they are most active at night, that I understood. What baffled me is why do they only gather in that particular section on the wall and hardly any came over? As much as I wanted to stay and try to shoot video of the hermit crab party, the crowd dispersed so I did too.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by *vi* View Post
    ...My main objective for writing reports is to make people on this board aware of what Portland has to offer the sworn lover of Jamaica. While I talk about what I do, I focus on the “who, what & where” in Portland rather than simply recounting a personal moment. Since it takes more time and money to even get to Portland, I thought the pictures, videos & tips could help folks decide whether it would be worth the effort...
    Vi,

I want to give a big thank you for your "main objective"! Port Antonio has always held a special place for me as I lived there for about a year back in the 90's. In fact, the original Beingee's Negril.com had an entire section dedicated to Port Antonio. (Click on the link below to check it out!)

http://www.realnegril.com/beingees/portmain.htm

Port Antonio is another beautiful part of Jamaica. We still maintain this Port Antonio forum to make sure our Negril visitors know about this incredible place.

Your reports are making me and Lisa wanting to get back there soon and have a chat about the world with Woody and try some more of the great jerk sausage in Boston Bay! Thank you so much for following your "objective! And to everyone else, you do owe it to yourself to spend a few days in Port Antonio!
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Your reports are making me and Lisa wanting to get back there soon and have a chat about the world with Woody and try some more of the great jerk sausage in Boston Bay! Thank you so much for following your "objective! And to everyone else, you do owe it to yourself to spend a few days in Port Antonio! <<YAY!! Maybe a Rob and Lisa trip report? lol- Miss ya'll guy's! Much Respect Rob and Lisa!- Whenever our next reach, kinda plan on visiting Dellie and family and then Dellie and us will pack up and head to PA.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

Rob,

The proper words escape me right now but I’ll do my best to express what your comments means to me minus the babbling. Even without saying so, I’ve always felt you understood “why” I post and that was good enough for me. But for you to actually express those feelings in writing within my report means so much to me. Thank you so much for your words and the link!!! You made me feel confident that my object, which is sometimes hidden in between many words, pictures and now short films (lol) does shine through.

I do indeed LOVE Portland and won’t stop encouraging others to experience it just once.

You and Lisa hurry and get back there. The jerk sausage was good, but now it’s amazing!!!

User Info Menu

Found a perfect (hermit crab-free) seat on the ledge that gave me a good view of the party, clear path for the night breeze to reach me and enough space between the monster speakers and my eardrums.

I was having a great time listening to the tunes, people watching and sipping rum. I look forward to getting lost in the local night-life when I’m in Portland and this night was satisfying that longing without missing a beat.

A young guy tucked into a pair of red, skinny-legged jeans and a crisp white t-shirt with the face of Tupac on it sat next to me and smiled. I smiled back. He tells me it’s early and that the place is going to get crowded later.

“Party will be nice.” He says bobbing his head.
    “Okay.”

“Okay” was basically my only contribution to the 45/+ minute conversation. I don’t know, it could have been a full hour. But his topics, mainly about himself, were quite personal but interesting. Then out of nowhere…”You here…in Jamaica alone?” “Yes I am.” That question caused me to take a bigger-than-normal sip of rum.

“I want you to meet my uncle. Yeah, yeah…you would like him. He’s a good man looking for a good woman. You are nice. He would like to meet you.” He takes out his cell and pushes a couple of numbers.

“Ummm slow your roll Tupac Fan…are you calling him?’
    “YEAH. I want you to meet him so I gone tell him to come to the party.

Instead of stopping him, I take another drink.

User Info Menu

Silently following your wonderful report Vi,you do a great job and your pictures are fabulous.Thanks for sharing!!

User Info Menu

got my portland fix this morning . . . thanks vi . . .

User Info Menu

Are ya serious.... " Shame" by Evelyn Champagne King "" brought me back, and so made me smile... we are sooooo gonna roll together ...someday !!!