Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Jamaican Residency

User Info Menu

Jamaican Residency

Hello Friends,

This question perhaps has been asked many times before but due to my uncertainties in life here in New England I am am very interested in knowing what the requirements are and the Red Tape involved in the process of applying for and receiving Jamaican Residency???

I am in no way making any political statement here only considering other options for the future. For you Canadians I wonder if you are aware of the offer that was made by Cape Breton, Nova Scotia as far as a immigration goes. Canada certainly is a beautiful country but a hot climate for at least 6 or 8 months of the year are quite appealing to me. I have no immediate interest in any other Caribbean islands with the exception of possibly Cuba which probably is close to impossible at the moment to being able as a foreigner to purchase property.

I appreciate any and all comments and suggestions and again am totally against making this into any form of political discussion.

Thanks,
    johng

Name:  Jamaica Sunshine.jpg
Views: 1023
Size:  46.8 KB
    Last edited by johng; 11-14-2016 at 01:43 PM.

User Info Menu

Re: Jamaican Residency

Johng...here's an useful link...describes exactly what is required for permanent residency here...

http://www.pica.gov.jm/immigration/g...ent-residence/

User Info Menu

"...but due to my uncertainty about the future path of The United States..."

Hummmmm, you maybe should have left this sentence out if you didn't want to make a political statement. Just saying.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lax1724 View Post
    "...but due to my uncertainty about the future path of The United States..."

Hummmmm, you maybe should have left this sentence out if you didn't want to make a political statement. Just saying.
    LOL !

But seriously folks, please leave the USA politics to other internet platforms.

Thank you!
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Lax1724,

I would have posed the question the same if the other future path existed but if it makes you feel better I'll edit my post

User Info Menu

Seriously Rob,

There must have been reasons you chose to migrate to Jamaica. I ask a simple question and thanks Bnewb for the link.

I think my question was straight forward and I have edited it to appease those who might want to politicize this despite my request otherwise.

LOL !

Administrator

User Info Menu

johng,

No disrespect intended man. Your question was straight forward, but I wanted to de-politicize it asap. The focus of Negril.com is Negril and Jamaica. And residency is a perfectly legit question. In addition to Lisa's link, be sure to check out the Living In Jamaica board here. There are some great threads there as well.

I got a chuckle out of the "uncertainty about the future path of The United States" comment. I have been in Negril hearing about the uncertainty of the future path of the USA when George II was elected, then re-elected and when Obama was elected. Thus my chuckle, seems the more things change the more they stay the same at times.

I moved here for many reasons, politics included, but that played a very minor role. Next time in Negril, lets share a cold one in Red Ground and we can talk about everything we desire. On second thought, maybe make that a cold one or two... (grin)

User Info Menu

John, I've looked into this out of sheer, but serious, curiosity. It seems near impossible for me to immigrate to Jamaica and become a permanent resident. My next best option would be trying to get a work visa, which also seems near impossible in my field. I'm no where near retirement age, and hope to have the volume of cash it will take to sustain a residence once I do!!! I'm still holding out for the possibility of finding a job on the island. It's a slim chance, and nothing I'd be able to do in the next year anyway, but it's something I'm working on, even if in my head and heart!!!

I know there are a lot of political, medical/healthcare, social, and economic policies and norms I am totally unaware of as a visitor, so I look for every way possible to learn about these things when I return and while I wait to return. I'm sure you have done the same!!!! Best of luck with your dream!!!!

User Info Menu

I held residency from 1969 to 1986.

I'm told it would be very easy for me to get it again.

However, At age 74 I can't imagine I'll be spending more that 100 days a year on Zion Hill

Cap

linston@redplate-negril.com

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by captaind & Linston View Post
    I held residency from 1969 to 1986.

I'm told it would be very easy for me to get it again.

However, At age 74 I can't imagine I'll be spending more that 100 days a year on Zion Hill

Cap
    Cap,

Cho, you would be "great-grandfathered" in... (grin)

This would not apply to new applicants.