Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Finally direct flights from Northern Ontario

User Info Menu

Finally direct flights from Northern Ontario

It was announced on our local news site today that during the winter months that Sunwing will be offering direct flights from my home town Sault Ste Marie to Montego Bay. No more flying to Toronto first and waiting for connecting flights coming and going from Jamaica. This should mean earlier arrival times in Montego Bay and hopefully cheaper fares as well. Happy happy happy 😎

User Info Menu

Re: Finally direct flights from Northern Ontario

That's great. But it was not only you who had to go to To. for the flight. I will be doing just that in a few weeks. West jet does fly direct on Saturdays but I prefer AC send they only do them for a few weeks around Christmas.
    Irie Sue

User Info Menu

My 2 sister inlaws live in ottawa and came with us last april and they flew direct from ottawa on the way there but after they purchased their tickets they direct flight home was cancelled and they ended up having to fly through toronto on the way home. It sucks and it adds to the cost and i am suprised that a major city like ottawa doesnt have direct flights to jamaica all winter but if they dont sell enough seats i guess its not worth it. My city only has a population of 75,000 people and we generally dont have direct flights to anywhere except toronto lol so i am very suprised they are offering this. Sad part is that it wont last all winter and if it does it probably wont be available next year. They tried it with mexico a few winters ago and it never lasted the whole season. They so have direct flights from here to cuba in the winter months but cuba has never interested me.

User Info Menu

Another part of flying through toronto was missing our connecting flight on the way home and having to spend a night in toronto at an additional cost. That has happened more than once and the last time it was because a passenger was missing in the montego bay airport and we had to wait for him or his luggage had to be removed from the plane because it was an international flight. Turns out he was in the airport getting in a few more red stripes. We all made sure to voice our displeasure when he boarded the plane lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irieonline View Post
    It was announced on our local news site today that during the winter months that Sunwing will be offering direct flights from my home town Sault Ste Marie to Montego Bay. No more flying to Toronto first and waiting for connecting flights coming and going from Jamaica. This should mean earlier arrival times in Montego Bay and hopefully cheaper fares as well. Happy happy happy ��
    We have had direct flights from Winnipeg for quite some time, but only during the 'season'.
    So we flew here via TO but get a direct flight home - yippeeee!
    Hedo Negril '07 Hedo Ochi '08 Couples Negril & Riu Ochi '10 Firefly & iberostar Rose Hall Beach '12 Firefly & Samsara '14 Samsara & CocolaPalm '16 CocolaPalm & Couples Negril '17 Treehouse & Catcha & Couples Negril '22

Coming in from the cold...

User Info Menu

I flew out of winnipeg a few times when i lived in thunder bay. At the time it was cheaper to fly from thunder bay to winnipeg and then to montego bay than go through toronto. Small markets like sault ste marie where i live now dont have many carriers so there is very little competition and very few direct flights to anywhere. If i fly to thunder bay from here and want to go via air canada i have to fly the opposite direction to toronto and then onto thunder bay which is totally stupid but its all about filling the seats and a plane that is half full doesnt make money. I have a feeling that a direct flight from here to montego bay wont actually be direct but stop in another city like hamilton to pick up more people but only time will tell