Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jamaica beautiful but hard place

User Info Menu

Jamaica beautiful but hard place

Reading about Charlie's passing (nbcc) has reminded me of how hard Jamaica can be on those who live there.A great number of us on this board have been guests there for many years and have developed friendships with the people who work and live there. It seems that we lose someone far too often and with increasing regularity.From the guy on the beach advertising with a bullhorn(v**** missiles,hot hot hot) to the guy keeping the beach and our belongings just so at our resort.It is hard for most hard working people there to afford to go to a doctor until in a lot of cases it is too late;sometimes it's misfortune sometimes bad luck.I have lost many over the years who I have thought of as friends and I guess that to some degree it is a result of being there so often. From sickness that drags on,heart attacks,traffic accidents,murder,old age,etc. it is always hard to realize that the place we love so much will never be exactly as we have known it for so long. BIG UPS to just some of the many: Charlie (beach),Blade(kuyaba),Errol(beach),Vivian(beach),P ee Wee, Winsome (west end),Peachy(west end),Indian(west end),Steve(blue cave),Mila(west end)Zukie(west end).........................so many others live on in our hearts.

Sponsor

User Info Menu

Well said. This is so true. Basic life needs are often not met and it is a struggle for most Jamaicans. We frequent travellers know this and try to give a little, bring something from home and continue to make it "trikkle a little"to ease that struggle.
    Visit #56 soon come

User Info Menu

"From sickness that drags on,heart attacks,traffic accidents,murder,old age,etc"

I grew up there, LEAVING in my early teens and LIVING in the US for over 30 years. I developed Rhematic fever that resulted in damaged heart valve. At the age of 30 I endured/survived 2 open heart surgeries, Ross procedure (switching of valves). Being there the illness was hard since there was no hospital in my town. I needed meds, that we could have afforded, but was not available for joint pain. What doesn't kill you sure makes you stroger. My cardiolgist thinks I can live forever, no thanks:-)

Edited underlined word only!
    Last edited by Sweet_Dawta; 10-18-2011 at 10:53 AM.

User Info Menu

Sweet_Dawta sorry to hear you went through that but glad you had your heart fixed. Now you can share your adventures.

User Info Menu

seems like without money, the more beautiful the place, the harder it is for the rest to survive.............Water, Mts or Desert.. doesn't matter
    "One of the laundry gals pipes up ,,"LOOK AT DA BLOOD"
    "YES,THAT WOULD BE MINE" I said as my leg that at first gave no pain, started dishing it out in large bunches........"

want more read our blog? our first trip.........http://negril.com/forum/entry.php?58...-The-Beginning

User Info Menu

" Charlie (beach),Blade(kuyaba),Errol(beach),Vivian(beach),P ee Wee, Winsome (west end),Peachy(west end),Indian(west end),Steve(blue cave),Mila(west end)Zukie(west end).........................so many others live on in our hearts"

I guess these people were unknown to majority of the posters who viewed this thread.

Angel- a lot has changed in the past few decades but many still struggle getting basic medical care, even over the counter meds.

User Info Menu

Puff Daddy am sorry you lost friends there. I was in JA when someone I knew was killed in a cab went to her funeral. Very different there. Have known people there that are gone too. And Sweet_Dawta even getting band aids or anything similar to that is something. I always take plenty of first aid supplies and over the counter meds too then leave them for people I know.

User Info Menu

I remember Pee Wee well; wonderful man. Would like to mention Cowboy who no doubt a lot of boardies remember. Will never forget him.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet_Dawta View Post
    I guess these people were unknown to majority of the posters who viewed this thread.
    What would make you say that?
    I would guess the opposite...a lot of these wonderful people were very well known & loved by many!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bnewb View Post
    What would make you say that?
    I would guess the opposite...a lot of these wonderful people were very well known & loved by many!
    Yet sooooooooooo many viewed the thread but did not take a moment to acknowledge the effort and thoughts of the OP. I

Puff Daddy - too many gone too soon. I often think of Boyz 11 Men - Hard to say Goodbye

"How do I say goodbye to what we had?
    The good times that made us laugh
    Outweigh the bad.

I thought we'd get to see forever
    But forever's gone away
    It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday.

May their souls rest in peace. I am sure many lived more in a day than some do in a year:-)
    IREE....JAMAICAN BORN AND BRED