Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Reggae Marathon race report

User Info Menu

Cool Reggae Marathon race report

Reggae Marathon turns sweet sixteen!
    Another great year for the organizers. By any standards, it's a well run event, and even more so when you consider every little obstacle down here.

Packet pick up was very smooth at CSA sports complex. Pasta party was Friday at Cosmos. There had to be a dozen different chef stations with various pastas. Rasta pasta, seafood pasta, jerk chicken pasta, red sauce, alfredo sauce, bruschetta, garlic bread. A seemingly endless amount of food. As it wound down it looked like they were giving locals to go plates, which was cool. Food waste on that scale would be a sin, especially when many go hungry here. Hung out with some friends that I met at the race last year. They peeled off and I wanted to stay out for a bit longer. My heart and mind wanted to hit the town but my body was suggesting otherwise. I decided to have one more overproof and soda and see how I felt after that drink. To make the 4:30 check in, I set my alarm for 3:30 and it was looming ominously over my head. even though I was only doing the 10k, I wanted to enjoy the run so I wrapped it up and called Dr. Bill for a ride home.

3:30 am - snooze button. Just like home, when the race day alarm goes off, I ask why I do this to myself. As I was laying there questioning my life decisions, my phone rings. It's Linston asking if I'm ready. Bless him. It was the kick in the ass I needed at that moment. Thankfully I had all my gear laid out, so cognitive requirements were minimal. Linston pulls up and I jump in. He's laughing at me. "You alright man?"
    Yeah, just tired. "You sounded like you were still under the covers when I called!" Haha, yeah, that's exactly right.

Drop off at the round about and on the shuttle to the start.

Bag check was quick and easy. Loosen up and wait for the start. Music pumping, drummers drumming and the emcee getting the crowd excited. They had the start set up by pace this year, which was a welcome change. LOTS of walkers come out for this and it seems like they always want to be up front. Last year was a lot of weaving for the first mile. The paced start resolved the hassle. Race started right on time which sometimes doesn't even happen in New York.

Felt good. About half way, thought I might be able to go sub 60 which I haven't done since I started running again. By mile five, I did some quick math and just didn't have enough left to push. So be it. I'll get it next one. So now every Jamaicans favorite question after a race..."How you come?" 12 out of 37 in my age group but the answer that most locals liked was: first from NYPD (my running club) - I didn't mention that I was the only one here.

Finish line, some water, fruit, massage, jump in the sea and then beer! Last year they were selling beer but this year you could only get a beer if you had a drink ticket, which was only one per runner. I've learned a thing or two in my trips here, so I scored a couple more by looking out for nondrinkers and begging their ticket.

After a couple hours there, the gang and I decided on a beach crawl with stops at Zanzi, Auntie Thrill corner, treehouse, firefly and Tony's hut. My friends cashed out at treehouse and by the time I got twas Tony's I was on E.
    Home, shower, nap.
    Good day so far.
    Last edited by MikeyNYC; 12-09-2016 at 01:19 PM.

User Info Menu

Re: Reggae Marathon race report

You are a motivated dude. I can barely get out of bed to urinate at 3:30AM! Thanks for your great reports.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Odinson View Post
    You are a motivated dude. I can barely get out of bed to urinate at 3:30AM! Thanks for your great reports.
    "One life, one chance."

Thanks for reading

User Info Menu

I was there once during the race.
    When I was up,
    The road was still blocked off from the bridge to I guess the starting line,
    you could see Hotel workers walking a looooong way to get to work.

Racers were still running at my B-fast time.

User Info Menu

Really enjoyable read. Thanks.