Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Streets opposite Catcha Cliffs

User Info Menu

Streets opposite Catcha Cliffs

Very cold and windy here in Wisconsin which gets me dreaming of Negril. We stayed at Catcha on the cliffs this past April and had a great time. We walked down one day to purchase a hammock from the Seastar Inn. My question is, are those streets safe to walk during the day? We obviously made it safely to and from Seastar from Catcha, but am curious what the board's thoughts are. From the map I see other roads and lanes that I did not explore that, in retrospect, I wish I did. I particularly enjoy walking in the early morning hours (7 am or so) but did not do that this particular trip. I walk extensively when we visit Mexico and it is always a highlight of our trips. You just see so much on foot. So, curious what people think about walking around in that area.

User Info Menu

Re: Streets opposite Catcha Cliffs

User Info Menu

we've stayed at the Seastar a couple of times, ten days each. we walked the road extensively during the day, but didn't feel comfortable doing so after dark.

User Info Menu

i have walked it many times never a problem day or night take a flashlight

The CHICKSTER

tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/7;10731;405/st/20140421/e/Negril/k/19ca/event.png[/img]

User Info Menu

I wouldnt go off exploring other lanes you are not familiar with. Especially at night.

User Info Menu

Seastar Lane is okay during the day light hours. I'm comfortable walking down Seastar Lane at night, but that is my choice.

Name:  SSI 7.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  95.6 KB

Path across from Seastar Inn that leads over to the Village on Love Lane

Name:  Delroy 2.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  101.6 KB

User Info Menu

Flip and VVHT are spot on. Some folks are intimidated by the guys that hang out next to Wise Choice, however they have no desire to mess with you and are just hanging out chopping it up. I have walked Seastar Lane at all hours of the day/night with never an issue. Could some random idiot roll up on a bike and mess with you? Of course, but that happens everywhere. Take a flashlight if you cruise the lane at night.

User Info Menu

ya ...take a flashlight for sure... and if your female... walk in a group,not by yourself.AND leave your purse in the hotel room.

User Info Menu

It is sad to think even a block or two away people would not walk day or night. That was one thing I did not like about Negril, seemed like venturing off was not in your best interest, which is a shame. Tough to see and experience new things when basically across the street from your hotel is off-limits. Too bad, here I thought the dogs barking at night were bad!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TuffGong View Post
    It is sad to think even a block or two away people would not walk day or night. That was one thing I did not like about Negril, seemed like venturing off was not in your best interest, which is a shame. Tough to see and experience new things when basically across the street from your hotel is off-limits. Too bad, here I thought the dogs barking at night were bad!
    You can walk around during the day and surprisingly for the most part well into the evening...considering the number of tourists that walk around almost anywhere at night in Negril, the number of incidents are surprisingly low.

Would I ever recommend walking around freely at night...NO...but I can't think of anywhere in Jamaica, Canada or anywhere in the world that I've visited would I recommend this activity. If I'm freely walking around at night, I expect the risks to be higher.

As far as walking down the lanes in Negril...I feel this to be a strange thing to do anyways when uninvited.
    I know as humans we obviously have a curious nature...but to wander into purely residential areas as a tourist seems strange to me and then to question one's safety into an area that's not meant for tourism seems hypocritical.

Let's simply look at this from the local's perspective...
    you're at home...your dogs start barking...you check to see why they're barking as everyone on the lane knows each other as do the dogs...you see a stranger or group of strangers walking down your lane...now what??...your evening is interrupted...you have to figure out whether it's tourists that got lost or people that are up to no good...either way you now have to keep an eye on them. You may call a neighbour or two to let them know what is happening. Why? Because simply...there are strangers in your neighbourhood...

This plays out on a daily basis in Negril and the locals have learned to accept it and are quite wonderful about it. But, please remember to be respectful of residential areas, especially at night.
    Last edited by Bnewb; 12-27-2016 at 09:32 AM.