Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jamaica Return - 2011 (Soon Come)

User Info Menu

Wonderful, wonderful. I have been waiting for your safe arrival and trip report. You are an inspiration to us that truly do not have anything to complain about. The pool and beach is wonderful therapy for you!

User Info Menu

Just a little more about Seastar Inn......

Since 1983 I have stayed in a wide-range and variety of accomodations. I camped at the Lighthouse and Roots Bamboo; stayed in board cabins at JahBs, Jubas, Westport Cottages and several others as well as a number of budget hotels; Negril Yacht Club, etc. etc. and some midrange when I got a friends discount like Whistling Bird etc. but never have I stayed at a place quite like Seastar Inn.

It took me many trips and many years to come up with a "cost-benefit" standard that I now use as a yardstick when traveling. When you spend $20 - $50 per night you lower your expectations on what "benefit" you will get from making that choice. You know you might get exposed to the natural elements like indoor rain while tenting or sunlight through the board walls at a wood board house up to a hard bed, cold water showers and sometimes more unexpected "local action" than you bargain for.

Every once in a while you find a "diamond in the rough" and the benefits far outweigh the cost. In fact, on those rare occasions, you sometimes feel you are getting way more than you pay for.... this is Seastar Inn! This is a rare mixture of local flavor and a sort of "All Inclusive" that gives a firsttime traveler a great introduction to what we seasoned travelers refer to as the REAL Jamaica and a seasoned traveler the local flavor we have come to expect and enjoy and at the same time enough of an All Inclusive experience to satisfy our desire to be pampered at a budget price.

The staff here are truly a family and embrace the newcomer as well as the returning guests as a valued member of that family. I live alone and have a loner streak in my personality. If there are 10 workers, I will usually make friends with only a couple and might know the names of just a couple more than that. Here, the people are so genuinely friendly that is becomes difficult not to get to know each and every one of them to some extent. When I say "genuine", I know the difference between that and forced friendliness where it is given as part of the job description and not because they truly want you to have the best time of your life.

I have been here now 4 days and have only 3 more to go before I head to my home in Accompong Town. There has not been a single moment in all that time that I have seen or felt anything that even remotely made me change my first impression since my arrival. I have found a new favorite place to stay when visiting Negril. If anyone is looking for a perfect place to experience the warmth and friendliness of Jamaica....give Seastar Inn a closer look.

Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Wednesday.... a special day for so many reasons.

I got up early to take that constitutional swim in the still chilly water of the swimming pool before the sun warmed it to a tepid temperature. All I could think about was that my best friend Marshall and my driver friend Peckish would be calling soon. It has been almost 4 years since I have seen either of them although I talk to Marshall at least once a week on the phone but giving him a strong hug in person was I am sure on both of our minds at this time.

I showered and sat down for an early Continental Breakfast glancing back and forth at the still silent phone next to my coffee. Just when I was starting to think about other things, the phone rang and Marshall's familiar phone number lit up the dial. "Marshall mi fren" I answered. His voice was so reasurring and that he and Peckish were just outside of Sav and would be here in less than an hour. I could relax a little now and enjoy another cup of coffee and a another slice of wheat toast.

In short order, they pulled into the Seastar Inn driveway and parked next to my chair. Marshall jumped from the passenger seat and literally ran up to me and grabbed me in a bearhug. I don't know about others here on the board that if that often happens to them in Jamaica but I find Jamaicans to be kind of reserved in exhibiting such overert displays of affection. Our 18+ years of friendship have developed a closeness of bond that transcends any normal boundries as we truly "love" each other in a familia/brotherly way. Peckish was right behind and grabbed me as well. I am so blessed to have such good friends and like Martin Luther Wright (Colonel of the Accompong Maroons) once said, "When you have a Maroon for a friend, you have a friend for life". How true I have found this to be so many times over.
    Marshall (right) and Peckish with his RAV 4
    Name:  jamaica1 020.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  35.0 KB
    We went to the verandah of my room to talk. There were so many people to ask about; how they were doing and where they were living (as some had since passed this Earth in the interim) and I simply had to get the latest suss swirling around the community where I would be living. Ha Ha. When I learned that I was not the topic of discussion around town that set my mind at rest as, afterall, I am not a Maroon and they are such a close-knit community that outsiders are sometimes looked upon with a skeptical "cuteye". I knew now my acceptance was fairly universal throughout the community but there would be detractors as there always are in Jamaica or anywhere one lives.

I had told Rob and Lisa I wanted to go on the Pub Crawl bus and Rob said to be ready at 2:00pm for pickup. We had said our goodbyes and I made arrangements for Peckish to return on next Tuesday to take me to Accompong Town at a few minutes before the bus was to arrive and like clockwork....2:00pm on the dot; it pulled up to the gate.

Now, being honest here, I wasn't giving this too much of a possibility in my mind to turn into a extraordinary experience but, as we kept picking up more people from the Cliffs to Coco La Palm on the beach the bus became full and the friendships began to form. We stopped at 7 bars; Corner Bar, MiYard, No Limits, C & D Country Bar, a small bar owned by a lady named Carol, Bella Donna and Firewater where we enjoyed a beautiful sunset to Peter Tosh music in the backround. Just about perfect!

I can't list all the names as frankly I can remember but maybe 10 of them so I don't want to skip a single one by listing those I can remember. To a person, we were as one for the next several hours. I saw a lot of old friends like Delroy at MiYard and Big Roy from Cafe Goa was there too. This is an experience that everyone should try on their next visit. You meet a lot of small business people who go the extra yard to make you comfortable and provide the best service they can as they know a lot of those on this crawl will be returning customers and will tell their friends as well.

The bus dropped me off last as the driver lived near the Seastar Inn. I actually was sorry to see the trip finish. A pleasant surprise and a very enjoyable evening.

I slept with serenity that night.

Peace and Guidance

User Info Menu

Hey Bill , It's muskie, be seeing you soon, I'll try to watch the webcast tonight. See you soon.

User Info Menu

Well this was a nice suprise

I did not realise a trip report was hiding in here

User Info Menu

Wow man, if your out there this music is ****abulous. Cool watching, hoped I would see you roll by or at least stumble, counting down the days .

User Info Menu

hey bill
    glad to hear you are having a good time . . . hope to catch up with you . . . pm your ja cellie . . .

User Info Menu

The Seastar family are my family and they sure do make me feel part of theirs. Words written above never more true. I really appreciate you taking the time to keep us folks updated on your return home. Looking forward to your next installments.

Name:  Seastar Family Feb 2011 (Small).jpg
Views: 371
Size:  69.4 KB

User Info Menu

Seastar Inn coming to an end tomorrow....next stop, my home, Accompong Town!

I have bitter-sweet feelings about tomorrow. Glad to be headed for Accompong Town and the next leg of adventure but sad to leave Seastar Inn as I have found an adoptive family here. To a person, everyone seems so happy here either as a guest, casual visitor or a member of the staff.

The Saturday night show was great. Steven West and the Roots Vibration Band had this place rocking and mesmerized for the first part of the night before the Seastar Drummers and dancers pumped up the crowd with an exquisite display of cultural roots and raw drumming prowess. The dancers were obviously ready to give their all doing acrobatic moves and dance sequences and grabbing members from the audience to participate. A friend I have met here, Tony from Edmondton Ontario Canada, appointed himself well by keeping up with the dancer's moves if even for a few minutes. Big Up Tony!

After the drummes and dancers, the Root Vibration Band came back on for the remainder of the show playing past midnight and kept the crowd dancing and singing to their favorite tunes. I think it would be fair to say that everyone had a wonderful time.

My good friend, Shereth, who now lives in Clarendon, came over to visit me for a few nights. We have been friends for over a decade and traveling partners for much of that time visiting the four corners of the island. I credit her with much of my understanding of how life in Jamaica goes on everyday and how I could find myself living within Her bosom. We slept soundly until my usual 6:00am swim time where she barely opened her eyes as I made my way to the pool.

Sunday was a nice and easy day doing some work on the Internet and spending time talking with Shereth about our lives since we last talked in January of 2007. Today will be much of the same as I want to enjoy Seastar to the maximum until my departure tomorrow morning.

Next stop, Accompong Town!

Peace and Guidance

User Info Menu

Glad to see everything is criss Bill, look forward to your adventures