Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coffee Question...

User Info Menu

Re: Coffee Question...

Sadly the days of us bringing an empty suitcase just for coffee are long gone. Now it's a few bags at most

User Info Menu

Some of the best coffee I've ever had in Negril was fresh roasted beans from a rasta named Thunder. He gets the beans from farmers on the mountain and roasts them in the back of his house. He is located near Alfreds across the street. Just ask anyone (vendors, locals, etc.) in that area and I"m sure they can point you in the right direction. As I understand it, much of the money he collects on sales goes back to the farmers. Its a pretty sweet deal. And if you're lucky you can watch him roast them! It's a lovely experience! I always bring a few lbs back to Canada to enjoy and give as gifts.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by roz View Post
    Some of the best coffee I've ever had in Negril was fresh roasted beans from a rasta named Thunder. He gets the beans from farmers on the mountain and roasts them in the back of his house. He is located near Alfreds across the street. Just ask anyone (vendors, locals, etc.) in that area and I"m sure they can point you in the right direction. As I understand it, much of the money he collects on sales goes back to the farmers. Its a pretty sweet deal. And if you're lucky you can watch him roast them! It's a lovely experience! I always bring a few lbs back to Canada to enjoy and give as gifts.

....and this is why I love this forum.

User Info Menu

Thunder's is high mountain, not JBM and he over roasts it imo.
    Last edited by saeyedoc; 02-06-2017 at 12:47 PM.

User Info Menu

I have bought fresh roasted coffee beans from Thunder before. He told me it was high mountain coffee and not blue mountain coffee but it was excelent coffee. I love the high mountain coffee and thats almost always what we buy there to make in our room and to bring home. I always bring a bag of blue mountain coffee beans home as a gift for my mom every time we visit Jamaica and i usually buy it at times square or the grocery store

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post
    Thunder's is high mountain, not JBM and he over roasts it imo.
    LOL I find it to be very lightly roasted, and I've bought his a few times.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lola View Post
    LOL I find it to be very lightly roasted, and I've bought his a few times.
    Must have caught him on an off day

User Info Menu

Do I remember reading once that you can purchase fresh roasted beans at Café Goa? If so, are they good?
    [http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KitchenBeeotch View Post
    Do I remember reading once that you can purchase fresh roasted beans at Café Goa? If so, are they good?
    Yes, you can purchase beans from Big Roy at Cafe Goa. I haven't tried his coffee recently, but it always gets solid reviews.

Lately, I've been buying a small bag of High Mountain grounds at L&M or Wise Choice, for making coffee in my room. If the bag is fresh, I find the High Mountain grounds to be very good. I then pick up a pound of Blue Mountain beans to take home. We'll see how it goes on my next trip, as far as pricing. If the Blue Mountain beans are out of control, I will probably just buy some High Mountain beans to take home. I've been meaning to try Thunder, as well.

User Info Menu

Jablum in the airport was about $50/lb two weeks ago