Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Social Graces

User Info Menu

Re: Social Graces

Quote Originally Posted by madtowndan View Post
    Trip is getting close (10 sleeps). As this is our first visit to Jamaica, I have a question regarding local customs. What's appropriate, and what's not? When you meet/greet someone, or say goodbye, what's the customary method of doing so - hand shake?, fist bump?, bro hug? How do the locals shake hands - the classic palm-to-palm, or locked thumbs? Anything else I need to know to show respect? When has a local "crossed the line" when interacting with my girlfriend?

Teach me!
    My first instinct was similar to Accompong's comments, to tell you it's the same as anywhere...other than Jamaicans tend to be more polite and more formal in their daily greetings...very British in style...maybe I'd call it a bit of an aloofness compared to an overall American personality. My information is a generalization.
    But, then I remembered there are some aggressive higglers and hustlers that may approach you...which can be intimidating to newcomers or people that are shy in being approached...you've received some good information above from those that have dealt with them before.

Fist bump, hand shake...all appropriate.

You're going to hear the words "good night" in the late evening/nighttime as a greeting not to be confused with saying goodbye, but to be understood the same as we would say "good morning" to each other.

Enjoy yourselves...relax...go with the flow...
    the sun is shining, the birds are chirping, the sea is calm and a dirty banana or rum cream in your coffee is an excellent breakfast starter.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TedP View Post
    My thoughts exactly Bill!
    Any guidance from experienced travelers can be very helpful. It should be taken into consideration that there are probably people here looking for advice that may have never traveled out of their home country or even out of their home town or even leaving the AI's and hitting the road in Jamaica for the first time. Its fun for me to help people to have a great time in Jamaica and it seems that the purpose of this forum is to do the same.

User Info Menu

Not sure if it's still commonly used but "good evening" = "good afternoon"

In Jamaican society it is considered impolite not to to greet someone without saying "Good mornin', good evening or good night"

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Accompong View Post
    Wow. I didn't realize that interacting with Jamaicans required so much of an education. I just seem to treat everyone pretty much the same wherever I go in the world and don't really have many problems.

Just be yourself. Jamaicans will know if your "real" or a "fake".
    I'm sure interacting with Jamaicans doesn't require that much of an education. I'm not looking to act like a local or try to speak patois. However, there are certain things that are good to know. For instance, as several have pointed out, Jamaicans greet with "good afternoon" and "good evening" as a matter of course, and that is considered polite behavior. I didn't know that, and while I'm in the habit of saying "good morning" quite frequently, I rarely do the same in the afternoon or evening - good to know, and something I will make a conscious effort to do in Jamaica. Being genuine and polite is one thing, but there are different ways to interact with people in different parts of the world, and not following their customs can be misinterpreted. Would you have reacted the same way if I was asking about customary behavior if I were travelling to Japan?

User Info Menu

In my humble opinion, this thread was kind of directed in the wrong way. The hustler and higglers are a separate topic. I have found almost all Jamaican (other than the higglers) to be polite and civil. If you want to get to know them you will know that you have to tease out bit about their personal life. Also Jamaicans are religious. Grew up in the church. I bring my guitar when I visit and I can tell you that they know their gospel music. And will sing with you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Georgie View Post
    In my humble opinion, this thread was kind of directed in the wrong way. The hustler and higglers are a separate topic. I have found almost all Jamaican (other than the higglers) to be polite and civil. If you want to get to know them you will know that you have to tease out bit about their personal life. Also Jamaicans are religious. Grew up in the church. I bring my guitar when I visit and I can tell you that they know their gospel music. And will sing with you.
    That is awesome!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by captaind View Post
    Not sure if it's still commonly used but "good evening" = "good afternoon"

In Jamaican society it is considered impolite not to to greet someone without saying "Good mornin', good evening or good night"

Cap
    Capt...when I was taking a course here...a group of Jamaicans were arguing when you're supposed to say good afternoon, good evening and good night. This impassioned group decided that the polite and correct way to greet someone was from noon to 4pm with good afternoon, from 4-7pm you were to be greeted with good evening and after 7pm was good night. And, if any other Jamaican did not do it this way they were being improper... ...tough group...but they were all fabulous!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Georgie View Post
    Love it Papa Georgie!!!

User Info Menu

i remember the first time i went....
    no place like this...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Accompong View Post
    Wow. I didn't realize that interacting with Jamaicans required so much of an education. I just seem to treat everyone pretty much the same wherever I go in the world and don't really have many problems.

Just be yourself. Jamaicans will know if your "real" or a "fake".
    Accompong, perhaps you missed this comment? "Please do not characterize all Jamaicans by my points, most Jamaicans are absolutely wonderful, friendly and warm people especially given the economic and political oppression they deal with."

I'm not sure what's fake about that, perhaps it's the smoke that has not cleared yet?