Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Shanty Town

User Info Menu

Re: Shanty Town

Respect, Marko.

User Info Menu

Very eye opening. I will have to think hard about giving out gifts on the pub crawl again. St. Anthony's Kitchen sounds like a great alternative. Respect, Rob. Appreciate your honest insight.

User Info Menu

This looks like the lane behind Ras Rodys and Sharks. We stay just up the lane a little bit more. Love all the little places through here. The shortcut into the village from Seastar puts you out by a little place that has awesome Patty's. Little red shack with a digicel sign and Christmas lights.

User Info Menu

from the "One Love Bus Tour, Negril" facebook page:

Lenbert Williams writes,

Please do not judge the love bus bar crawl by the shanty town experience.

I am in the pub crawl business , not a shanty town tour and I do not have a licence to operate a charity.

I will however accommodate the kind folks who want to touch the lives of the less fortunate kids and parents. These kids and parents are not perfect. If they were they would not be in this plight. While I do not encourage begging, 2 dollars will buy dinner for a family of 5 in the shanty (one lb of rice, one tin mackerel, 1/2 lb of sugar and a cool aid.)

The reality is the government and corporate Jamaica have turn their backs on these folks for far too long and the love bus and its very generous tourists are the only source of help for many of these very desperate people.

The love bus alone cannot solve the the Shanty town problem but I hope that through the wider tourist community, policy makers will be embarrassed into ensuring that the people are taken into consideration.

When the visitors donate stuff to other charities no one knows where it end up. I prefer when the visitors give directly to the needy folks, experience the joy first hand and witness the struggle, the poverty, talk about it and complain. This in my opinion is a first step in ensuring that future government policy makers involve the people, not just the water front and large corporations.

With the contribution of some musical instruments from some good tourists, the Love Bus is in the process of setting up an orchestra for the youths from the shanty.

May God continue to bless those who have given and those who plan to give as we try to bring some semblance of order to this side show as many visitors are demanding and requesting the shanty as a quick stop.

Please note that the shanty is not a regular stop of the love bus tour; I only go there on request.

One love, Lenbert

User Info Menu

Amen, Lenbert.

User Info Menu

so if one person wants to donate the improper way, he's going to ruin the trip for everyone else? Makes sense to me.

User Info Menu

Hey Lenbert,

Just do your best!

Cap (you know me as "ah foo"
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

So now we have Lenbert basically saying the exact opposite of conventional wisdom on the subject, and he casts doubts on what happens to donations that go through "normal" channels.

So what's the deal here?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post
    so if one person wants to donate the improper way, he's going to ruin the trip for everyone else? Makes sense to me.
    Whether we are bringing donations or not, we don't mind a stop in Shanty Town. I'm guessing the people that think it ruins the trip are pretty shallow.

To each their own. Jah Bless
    July 1993*, Feb 2003, Aug 2005, April 2007, Feb 2008, Feb 2009, April 2010, Nov 2010, Nov 2011, Nov 2012, March 2013*, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, March 2015*, Nov 2015*, April 2016*, Oct 2016, Nov 2017*, May 2018*, Nov 2018*, Oct/Nov 2019*, Dec 2020*, Dec 2021*, May 2022* (Portland), Dec 2022* (Irish Town/Strawberry Hill), Dec 2023*, Dec 2024*

User Info Menu

I have been reading this thread with great interest. It is precisely the discussion I had with a good (dear) friend of mine earlier this month while in Jamaica. I heartily recommend that those interested in this watch a documentary on Netflix (available in both Canada and U.S.) that she put me onto. Poverty Inc. It addresses these issues, and supports and expands on what so many - Bnewb, Rob, Marko ... so many ) are saying about giving and the long term impact. I won't go in to details, but it outlines real-life impact of our perceived "generosity" - in one example, our "generous" sending of our used clothing to developing nations (great idea, right?), managed to wipe out the cotton industry in Kenya. The whole industry!. Watch this documentary (Thanks, Onion Love!) and think about it. It opens your eyes to a lot and makes you think - what am I REALLY doing? And who am I REALLY doing it for? I am guilty of the random giving in the past. I had stopped it, and now give only to controlled organizations - Rotary; Fr. Jim; St. Anthony's - and you see where the money is going (Get the Kids to School Programme - now that's a freaking winner, guys! So many kids!). I was quite confused and conflicted with the whole thing - but this documentary spells it out in living colour by the people in the affected countries who are trying to deal with the "generosity" and bring themselves (meaning their nation!) up! I would love to hear comments from anyone who does watch this. It's pretty informative. And thanks to the Robs, Bnewbs, Markos and all who tell it like it is. Give with your heart, but don't create a bigger problem. Be informed. There is a comment in the documentary from a Haitian man that is VERY telling .....