Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Negril in July during Dream Weekend

User Info Menu

Negril in July during Dream Weekend

Hi everyone.

I'm making a trip to Negril in late July (28th - Aug 1) with a couple friends, staying at Alfred's. My wife and I usually stay in Negril January/February (and once in November), but this is the first time I've stayed during the summer. I was doing some research last night to see what Negril is like during July (are a lot of beach/cliff bars & restaurants closed due to low season, etc), and ironically enough, it looks like July 28 - Aug 1 is Dream Weekend.

So, I was wondering if anybody who lives in Negril full time or has stayed during Dream Weekend could give me some info regarding the vibe around town during Dream. I'm not asking about the actual Dream events, but more specifically how it will differ from when I usually visit Negril -- how crowded bars and the beach will be, and any other useful info. As I mentioned, we're staying at Alfred's, where I usually stay with my wife, and we usually stay during high season. For more context, here are some of the places we like to hang out and eat at during our trips:

Beach -- Alfred's (obviously), Boat Bar, Bourbon Beach, Yellowbird, Arthur's, Best in the West, Coletta's, Woodstock Bar, and whatever beach bar we stumble upon during our walks (and all the Jerk Chicken Grills).

Town -- Seaview/Corner Bar, Canoe Bar

Cliffs -- 3 Dives, No Limit Bar, Sir D's, Connie's/C&D, Pushcart, etc.

Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I don't think Dream Weekend events are really my or my friends' scene, and just want to know what to expect.

Thanks!

Chris

User Info Menu

Re: Negril in July during Dream Weekend

We were in Negril last August, the week after the Dream events. From what I remember, all the places you mentioned were open. Of course - as with any time of the year - some locally run places may open or close on a whim. One night we walked to Erica's and they were closed. The next night they were open. Same with Shark's. One day he was closed early in the evening, but open later on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_D View Post
    We were in Negril last August, the week after the Dream events. From what I remember, all the places you mentioned were open. Of course - as with any time of the year - some locally run places may open or close on a whim. One night we walked to Erica's and they were closed. The next night they were open. Same with Shark's. One day he was closed early in the evening, but open later on.
    Thanks for the response -- it's good to know my favorite spots are gonna be open!

At this point, what I'm trying to figure out is if the non-resort side of the beach (Boat Bar to town), the middle of town, and cliffs are going to be way more crowded that I'm used to during high season, and if it will have more of a spring break feel -- by that I mean more day-in and day-out parties, as opposed to the more laid back vibe I've experienced in past visits.

User Info Menu

During Dream Week the places that get busier during the day include Margaritaville (packed), Woodstock, Sunbeach, Burger King , Corner Bar...you'll find Alfreds, 3 Dives popular/busier for food...other businesses get fairly busy but not crazy packed...Boat Bar is closed as always during slow season (maybe they open for that week?).
    It's in the evening that get crazy on the roads...more insanely active where the events are located...but the smaller bars etc are still easily accessible.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bnewb View Post
    During Dream Week the places that get busier during the day include Margaritaville (packed), Woodstock, Sunbeach, Burger King , Corner Bar...you'll find Alfreds, 3 Dives popular/busier for food...other businesses get fairly busy but not crazy packed...Boat Bar is closed as always during slow season (maybe they open for that week?).
    It's in the evening that get crazy on the roads...more insanely active where the events are located...but the smaller bars etc are still easily accessible.
    Thanks for the info -- this is really helpful!

As long as there are some chill spots for us to hang out at, whether on the beach or on the cliffs, we should be good.

User Info Menu

Drifter, I found that there isn’t a big crowd impact on most beaches because a lot of folks stay in to recover from the night before and/or prepare for that night’s activity.

It gets very busy at night. The “event” party will be at a specific location while the smaller places to hang will be open also. If you go out in the evening, you will want to stay within walking distance of your hotel due to beach road traffic. It will be bumper to bumper practically all night. Taxi fares will be higher at that time due to stalled traffic, burning gas while creeping along and making less trips than normal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by *vi* View Post
    Drifter, I found that there isn’t a big crowd impact on most beaches because a lot of folks stay in to recover from the night before and/or prepare for that night’s activity.

It gets very busy at night. The “event” party will be at a specific location while the smaller places to hang will be open also. If you go out in the evening, you will want to stay within walking distance of your hotel due to beach road traffic. It will be bumper to bumper practically all night. Taxi fares will be higher at that time due to stalled traffic, burning gas while creeping along and making less trips than normal.
    Definitely good to know. Three follow-up questions:

1. When you say evening, what time are you thinking it starts (so I know what time I'd need to be back in walking distance to my hotel)?
    2. Is the beach road relatively safe to walk at night? I've always felt safe walking it in the past, but like with any other place in the world, when there's non-stop partying things can get rowdy.
    3. If we went to the cliffs in the afternoon, and got a ride back in the evening, how long are you thinking it would take in the cab? Just want to get an idea of how much bumper to bumper will add on to what is usually a ten minute trip.

Thanks again for all the info -- this is a huge help.

Chris

User Info Menu

Chris,

I see you are there for the entire 5 day event. I didn’t see a schedule posted yet and that is significant in planning your moves. Most days there was an afternoon and evening event. Beach parties/water park during the day and parties every night. It’s hard to say just when the traffic builds up because it seems to happen out of nowhere. But from my experiences I would be back by 5…6 at the latest. Especially if you venture to the cliffs.

Yes it’s safe to walk the beach road at night. I’ve done it plenty of times solo and with others. Never a problem since there’s always plenty of police (uniform & plain clothes) to keep things under control on the beach, the road and inside the venues. But of course, stay extra focused as there will be a lot going on.

I believe coming from the cliffs in the evening (after 7) it may take 30+ minutes depending where on the cliffs you return from. The flow of traffic circling the round-about from all directions will clog that up good. The later, the thicker the congestion. Do talk to the driver before committing to the ride about traffic build up AND the price.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by *vi* View Post
    Chris,

I see you are there for the entire 5 day event. I didn’t see a schedule posted yet and that is significant in planning your moves. Most days there was an afternoon and evening event. Beach parties/water park during the day and parties every night. It’s hard to say just when the traffic builds up because it seems to happen out of nowhere. But from my experiences I would be back by 5…6 at the latest. Especially if you venture to the cliffs.

Yes it’s safe to walk the beach road at night. I’ve done it plenty of times solo and with others. Never a problem since there’s always plenty of police (uniform & plain clothes) to keep things under control on the beach, the road and inside the venues. But of course, stay extra focused as there will be a lot going on.

I believe coming from the cliffs in the evening (after 7) it may take 30+ minutes depending where on the cliffs you return from. The flow of traffic circling the round-about from all directions will clog that up good. The later, the thicker the congestion. Do talk to the driver before committing to the ride about traffic build up AND the price.
    This has all been really helpful. I'm actually pretty excited to be in Negril during the event.

I'll definitely take your advice into consideration, and we'll most likely spend the first evening close to our hotel to get a feel for things during Dream. And I'll definitely negotiate any cab prices beforehand -- something I learned my first trip to Negril!

Thanks again,

Chris

User Info Menu

well it's Negril on steroids....it's the busiest it ever gets...packs of guys and ladies walking the beach/beach road
    it so busy that it's hard for mi to ride mi bicycle around there....some days the beach road becomes a parking lot
    last year they jacked up the live venue ticket prices and the turnout wasn't like previous years....

make sure you stock up on snacks and foodie stuff as the stores run out of stuff......
    expect longer wait times when ordering food and drinks etc.......
    especially like at places like the Corner Bar which is packed all Dream Week.....
    even Burger King is packed all day and night........

for whatever reason the Cliffs doesn't show the huge affects of Dream Week like the beach does....
    guess the Kingston crowd don't move off the beach/beach road much.....
    though the lanes off the West End Rd gets a nice influx of people staying at der places
    mi know the major complaint on the West End establishments is that the vistors don't spend much money at der places...
    guess they go to the stores or stands and buy food and eat at der places.......oh well

the biggest problem with Dream Week is all the room prices are jacked up sky high....
    no necessarily food prices but primarily the rooms....the rooms are usually sold out on the beach
    but you can still get rooms on the Cliffs.....like always....but don't count on having pipe wata all da time
    pipe wata is intermittent on the Cliffs when wi have a huge influx of people in Negril these days.....
    mi know it's coming so you just grin and bare it......yah mon

if you see an old fat expat guy riding around on his bicycle.......dat mi......lol

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20