Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Travel insurance

User Info Menu

Re: Travel insurance

Greetings Ster and Kev,

I had a stroke in June 2014 with no warning and due to an unknown cause. No doctors or test could determine why this happened since my blood pressure had always been fine and my cholesterol normal or below. After my stroke, I was very nervous about the possibility of another one. Once I got the "all clear" to travel from my doctor, I didn't hesitate about keeping my travel plans. Since I refuse to live in fear, I traveled to Jamaica in October 2014. I had bought my ticket in February 2014 and was determined to keep living and enjoy life as much as possible. I still have partial paralysis on my right side, but I'm still driving (yes, in Jamaica too) and occasionally teach university courses. I've been coming to Negril each year since 2000 and haven't missed a year yet. I'll be there again in October. I also get travel insurance though Allianz and have Nurse Beth's number programmed into my phone. No one can ever predict where or when something like this can happen to any of us.

I live in NC. In my case, since I drove myself to the ER when I was having my stroke, the unconcerned reception staff felt it was more important to spend precious time getting my insurance information as opposed to allowing me to be seen by a doctor. They let me sit for an hour, and only took me back for treatment when I went back to the reception desk to tell them I was getting weaker. Once back, according to the doctor, the nurse made a medical error, which I think led to the partial paralysis. I can't prove it, but it happened (and a friend witnessed it). My point is, even in a major hospital system, there's no guarantee about the treatment you may receive. There's nothing I can do to change my situation, so I choose to live life as before. Drove to Norfolk VA last month to see Tarrus Riley, going to see Beres Hammond in Raleigh July 28th, and giving thanks everyday because things could always be worse. If you or your husband ever need to hear an encouraging word, PM me and I'll send my phone number.

Peace and blessings,

Dr. J

User Info Menu

Jdub...very generous of you to share your story and offer of encouragement...sorry to hear of your stroke also.

User Info Menu

Thanks, Bnewb. In response to the original question, I should add that I have not had a medical emergency while in Jamaica.

Dr. J

User Info Menu

I used travelex, thank goodness didn't have to make a claim. But I liked the coverage and read great things about it. Just my 2 cents

User Info Menu

I use insuremytrip.com to compare companies. Medical coverage/evacuation is the most important for us, we aren't getting any younger but also want the option to cancel if there is a death/emergency. It costs about 300 bucks for a solid plan from A rated company. The peace of mind is well worth that money to us. We also are well insured at home. After 60 years of living, we know that accidents and illness happen everywhere.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ster & kev View Post
    Hey y'all. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good company for travel insurance? I'm interested In a policy that has good medical policy, a policy that can get me to my "home hospital" once stable if needed, not the closest hospital to the accident. also wondering does anyone know if the closest hospital to Negril carries the tPA shot? Anyone have any MAjOR life threatening incident while visiting JA?
    We have already spoke but good for you to refer them my way! I just had a call today....it is hard to know what is available at the time of need! I did speak to physician and he said mostly TPA if they have it, is used for heart attack protocol in Montego Bay. Interesting! Keep my number handy! We never know what physician is available....I sent a physician to apartment today on a Sunday! It was a good day! Nurse Beth

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    S&K,

I am sure the nurse has seen horror stories, because she is generally called during an emergency. But I am a bit surprised the nurse "reminded" you Jamaica is third world. Unless you are using the Soviet Union era definition (first world, aligned with the USA, second world aligned with the Soviet Union, third world not aligned with either), Jamaica is not considered third world under any of the current definitions. We are a developing nation.

Did the nurse answer your tPA question? If not, here is an article from the Gleaner that mentions tPA and the importance of it because of the high incident of strokes in Jamaica.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/h...johnson-stroke

We recently had a close friend who suffered a stroke in Negril and was taken to Montego Bay. tPA can be administered up to 4.5 hours and break up the clot. He had a speedy recovery and was able to travel to be with his wife and is now back on the island running his business. That all transpired within the last two months.

There is stroke treatment available in Jamaica, so the person I would ask about the risk would be your doctor. Since they don't know what caused the stroke and Kev is on a staten now, your doctor is the only person I would consult. But I do know life is worth living, and if the doctor gives the all clear, get the travel insurance and see you soon!

I recently lost my Mom to a stroke so this hits home for me. She lived a full life and we even spoke just a few hours before her stroke. You just never know.

If it is THIS nurse you are speaking about, yes....I spoke directly to a physician in Mobay about the medication. He told me they prefer to use it for MI (heart attacks). Surprising and we are lucky to have certain medications sometimes!
    We all go round and round about third world or not but if you wish to say JA is developing, OK. Any tourist town with no hospital and NO clinic open 24 hours is third world to ME as a nurse. Erase my comments again...OK I am honest. I continue to push to get something going 24 hours...this has been my goal for 4 years now! I get more calls during the day because the physicians are too busy to leave clinic actually, deal with many NON emergencies as well as emergencies. I can get there for first assessment and call physician or handle it myself. Travel insurance important, consulting/informing a physician where you are going before travel here important, carry credit card with 25,000 available and carry cash!
    Straight Up Nurse Beth

Administrator

User Info Menu

Nurse Beth,

I was addressing Ster & Kev. Since Lisa recommended that they ask you about tPA for stroke treatment and Ster made no mention of it, I provided them a link from this year's Gleaner that specifically mentioned tPA for stroke.

I then gave them an example of how a business owner was recently treated for a stroke in MoBay and was successfully treated with tPA.

Although the physician you spoke to said that they"prefer" to use it for heart attacks, that still doesn't answer the question if it is available for strokes, which it is in MoBay.

And one of our jobs on Negril.com is to correct misinformation. You can think we are third world, but thinking it doesn't make it so. Jamaica is not classified as third world by any current definition.

And it looks like the EMS Trauma Center will soon be a reality. Negril.com along with the Chamber of Commerce and many hotel owners have been actively lobbying for one for at least a decade. Please see my new post!
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    S&K,

I am sure the nurse has seen horror stories, because she is generally called during an emergency. But I am a bit surprised the nurse "reminded" you Jamaica is third world. Unless you are using the Soviet Union era definition (first world, aligned with the USA, second world aligned with the Soviet Union, third world not aligned with either), Jamaica is not considered third world under any of the current definitions. We are a developing nation.

Did the nurse answer your tPA question? If not, here is an article from the Gleaner that mentions tPA and the importance of it because of the high incident of strokes in Jamaica.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/h...johnson-stroke

We recently had a close friend who suffered a stroke in Negril and was taken to Montego Bay. tPA can be administered up to 4.5 hours and break up the clot. He had a speedy recovery and was able to travel to be with his wife and is now back on the island running his business. That all transpired within the last two months.

There is stroke treatment available in Jamaica, so the person I would ask about the risk would be your doctor. Since they don't know what caused the stroke and Kev is on a staten now, your doctor is the only person I would consult. But I do know life is worth living, and if the doctor gives the all clear, get the travel insurance and see you soon!

I recently lost my Mom to a stroke so this hits home for me. She lived a full life and we even spoke just a few hours before her stroke. You just never know.

I collaborate with many physicians, some from MoBay. Each have their own preferences on drugs and it also depends on availability at the time. I must add that my service calls are 50/50, as I go to hotels, apartments and businesses for NON emergency calls every day. The on-site nursing service I provide includes assessment and care OR collaboration/referral if needed! It is all about someone coming to you and facilitating what you need and/or where you need to go. Physicians are busy and wait times can be lengthy. www.j.mp/comfortsJA to PRE register

User Info Menu

Let us pray for that medical help in Negril. Heading into my fourth year here and encourage everyone to PRE register before your trip. This ensures I have your information in my log book and where you are and know something about you upon your arrival, in case of any event! NON urgent nursing services can be arranged and on-site calls assure you peace of mind day or night! Plan ahead! www.j.mp/comfortsJA See me under MARKET section above.