Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Travel insurance

Sponsor

User Info Menu

Travel insurance

Hey y'all. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good company for travel insurance? I'm interested In a policy that has good medical policy, a policy that can get me to my "home hospital" once stable if needed, not the closest hospital to the accident. also wondering does anyone know if the closest hospital to Negril carries the tPA shot? Anyone have any MAjOR life threatening incident while visiting JA?

User Info Menu

Re: Travel insurance

Allianz has worked for us. Purchased through the airlines or AAA:

https://www.allianztravelinsurance.com
    We're all in this together and none of us is getting out alive.

User Info Menu

go to insuremytrip.com, you can compare dozens of options

User Info Menu

Ster & Kev...reach out to Nurse Beth from Comforts of Home Nursing. She can find out about the tPA shot for you.
    http://negril.com/market/

I'm not sure if you still have contact with Glenna...but she had a "major life threatening incident" when she was here. She was extremely impressed with the doctors in Mobay...give her a shout out also for more detail.

User Info Menu

I use squaremouth.com to compare various policies. I had to file a claim for the first time this year, and it took nearly two months of back and forth to get my money. Make sure you have a credit card with a decent limit as you will need to pay first and get reimbursed for most situations. The company I used was Tin Leg and I would not use them again.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marblehead View Post
    Allianz has worked for us. Purchased through the airlines or AAA:

https://www.allianztravelinsurance.com
    Ditto. And very reasonably priced.

User Info Menu

As booger said you need a high limit credit card to pay first and file for reimbursement. You should check your current insurance as it may cover travel. It depends on the in/out of network guidelines. Since we can get reimbursed and since medical costs in most countries is much lower than US we do not buy those type of policies. What we get is MedjetAssist. Once you are hospitalized they will get you back to your home hospital. This meets our needs and is very affordable especially with the multi-year options.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bnewb View Post
    Ster & Kev...reach out to Nurse Beth from Comforts of Home Nursing. She can find out about the tPA shot for you.
    http://negril.com/market/

I'm not sure if you still have contact with Glenna...but she had a "major life threatening incident" when she was here. She was extremely impressed with the doctors in Mobay...give her a shout out also for more detail.
    Three maybe four years ago I had a major life threatening incident while living deep in the Cockpit Mountains. I was taken by a neighbor to Black River Hospital and after a lengthy intake process, placed in ICU for a couple of nights until I was stabilized and then spent the next week in a male ward in the hospital. Although the facilities we not "brand-spanking new" like we are used to in the US, they were clean and I was well taken care of. I had to bring my own sheets and pillow and had to send out to purchase cooked food when I wanted more than the meager sustenance, I thought the medical staff was more than adequate. I had 4 doctors rotating on shifts. One Jamaican, one Nigerian, one Cuban and one Chinese.
    Each one was on top of my situation all the way through until discharge 10 days later.

The most surprising thing to me was that the total bill for all this care was less than $300 US. I now have a patient card from the Black River Hospital and don't feel nearly as concerned about my health care while in Jamaica. I have the VA here in the US so I am well taken care of here as well.

Hope this helps.

Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

Sponsor

User Info Menu

My husband had a stroke 15 months ago. He's been released by his dr. Over 6 months ago. Once you've had one stroke you're always at a higher risk of having another. He's on a staten drug, and they have no idea why he had his first stroke. It might have been caused my an over the counter cold medication he was taking that might have restricted his blood vessels and then cause a BP spike. They don't know!, The nurse I've chatted with there in JA almost makes me feel hesitant for even bringing him back, reminding me its third world and she's seen horror stories of course. Are we crazy for taking the risk? Are we never supposed to come back I'm 39, he's 47 now.
    Last edited by ster & kev; 07-04-2017 at 02:56 PM.

Administrator

User Info Menu

S&K,

I am sure the nurse has seen horror stories, because she is generally called during an emergency. But I am a bit surprised the nurse "reminded" you Jamaica is third world. Unless you are using the Soviet Union era definition (first world, aligned with the USA, second world aligned with the Soviet Union, third world not aligned with either), Jamaica is not considered third world under any of the current definitions. We are a developing nation.

Did the nurse answer your tPA question? If not, here is an article from the Gleaner that mentions tPA and the importance of it because of the high incident of strokes in Jamaica.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/h...johnson-stroke

We recently had a close friend who suffered a stroke in Negril and was taken to Montego Bay. tPA can be administered up to 4.5 hours and break up the clot. He had a speedy recovery and was able to travel to be with his wife and is now back on the island running his business. That all transpired within the last two months.

There is stroke treatment available in Jamaica, so the person I would ask about the risk would be your doctor. Since they don't know what caused the stroke and Kev is on a staten now, your doctor is the only person I would consult. But I do know life is worth living, and if the doctor gives the all clear, get the travel insurance and see you soon!

I recently lost my Mom to a stroke so this hits home for me. She lived a full life and we even spoke just a few hours before her stroke. You just never know.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!