Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fishing in Negril

User Info Menu

Cool Fishing in Negril

Can anyone tell me what bait is used for fishing in Negril? Are there limits as far as where fishing is allowed? Other regulations? (license, species, etc)?

Any other info I might want or need?

Are there freshwater opportunities near Negril?

Any particularly desirable species I could keep and give to someone that would cook for me? Yumm!

My next trip is in January...

Thanks!

User Info Menu

as a child we (parents/cousins/uncles) used to fish off the bauxite pier in Ochie and then the cruise ship dock when it was built. we would start out with small crabs or snails as bait to catch small fish then use the small fish as bait to catch bigger fish.

In Negril we caught those long fish with the pointy nose/snout (they fried up good) but we never had much luck with the good ones like Jack or snapper

User Info Menu

I am not sure about license since it has been almost thirty years since I have fished while on the rock. But I can share this little fishing tale. After a few years of travel and staying up in the hills we would make are daily 45 min. walk down to the beach. And each time I would notice as I crossed the bridge over the Negril River all these fish swimming around. So before are next trip my friend and I decided to bring fishing poles and some crank baits for trolling. When we arrived we talked a friend who had a small fishing boat to take us fishing up the Negril River. We started trolling just beyond the bridge, catching all different types of fish, and I could tell you what kind most where. The only ones I knew the speices were the Snook that we caught and kept to eat. I can tell you though it was lots of fun, and some very beautiful scenery back in the Morrass.

User Info Menu

I second what Bigga says about the beautiful scenery of the Morass as seen from the river. Birdwatchers would love it too! I'm really surprised that the boat Captains don't take tourists up the river more often. (I wonder if rafting on the river might be a good business venture?). I'm sure it would be a fun morning / afternoon of fishing on the river. I think you would want a boat with shade. One of my friends told me not everyone will eat fish caught in the river, because of the outflow from the sewage lagoons. (and I have no idea how often untreated sewage goes in the river and out to the sea, but have had some tell me not to go swimming at certain times because you would be taking a sh*t bath)
    Brasi, I think a cooler of cold stripes would be required for a river fishing expedition.

User Info Menu

I would love to check out the morass and either go in a boat up the river, or the walkway..does anyone know if it is "open" and what they charge?

That, along with going to the lighthouse are two things I have yet to have done in Negril I plan on doing.

User Info Menu

My friends went up the river with Capt. Jack of Locomotion (He parks in front of Beach House) a couple of years ago while I went scuba diving . They had a blast on the ride.

User Info Menu

winterfresh!

look for 'duke' captaining the winterfresh. he's on the beach and will show you a great time! we started out trolling for tuna up to the cliffs and then bottom fished for grouper. he has friends with bait nets that will hook you up with bait.

User Info Menu

We've been told to start out with land crab. Someone caught us one once but I couldn't kill it, and by the time we went fishing someone had taken it on us. Those suckers are too quick for me to catch.

User Info Menu

I think I am going to bring a light rod and some crank baits. I will hire some one to take me up the river ot along the cliffs, see what we can catch. I think I will probably just catch and release. I have heard that you can get some one to take you out for cheap. I am going in January as well, so let me know how you do!

User Info Menu

Famous Vincent took us up the river to the Royal Palm Preservation. It was a beautiful ride and great company.

Respect,