Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Update on the use of ATM outside of banks?

User Info Menu

Update on the use of ATM outside of banks?

Good afternoon,

It has been 18 months since I was in Negril. are the issues with the skimming of bank cards solved? last time I was there it was only safe to use the ATM inside the bank.. is it safe again to use the NCB ATM at Hi-lo or the NCB ATM at valuemaster? I arrive on a Friday night, so the NCB bank will not be open until Monday. Exchange rates for JMD here in Holland are through the roof!

Thank you!

Denise

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Update on the use of ATM outside of banks?

Denise,

The ATMs are safe, I use them many times a week.

The problem a year and a half ago had little to do with which ATM you used, but more to do with the regional processing center in Brazil. They had been hacked and random transactions, ATM or purchases fell victim to that breach.

A few months back, a Romainian skimming ring was stopped in the Kingston area.

But as always, be sure to check out your bank statements every month. And check it online more often.

Card fraud can happen anywhere at anytime.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

I will echo Rob's advice. We use the ATMs in Negril and Sav several times a week also.

We use a second layer of security but it hasn't been needed in quite a while

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Someone was telling me to just stick to using your credit card to withdraw money from ATMs as it is suppose to be more secure or insured or some such thing. (I am not an expert on how the cards work and banking in general etc... I just use the cards and get my money without giving it much thought)

Apparently if you load up your credit card account with a bunch of cash before you travel you will avoid interest charges like you would if you were taking out a cash advance on your credit card with a negative amount in your card's account.

I usually just use my debit card and have had no issues but I'm re-thinking that for my next visit, maybe I'll make the switch to my credit card instead. I'll only use my credit card to get money from the ATMs and avoid using it to pay for anything directly.

User Info Menu

Due diligence should be practised with any kind of banking and more so when travelling...let your bank and/or credit card companies know what you're up to...they will immediately warn you if something unusual is going on.

This is one of those annoying events that can happen anywhere, anytime...my Canadian bank's ATMs were comprised by a 'system' traced to New York...it was found fairly quickly and there's insurance on our debit cards...but such a PIA. I've yet to have a problem in Jamaica and the same as Rob, of course, I've used the ATM's all over the island.

Due Diligence!
    Last edited by Bnewb; 10-25-2017 at 11:51 AM.

User Info Menu

aaah thanks guys! that's good to hear.

Rob: good to know what caused all that inconvenience almost all of my friends from Europe got "skimmed" during that period.

I will just get some money from the NCB ATM after arrival.

thanks again!

User Info Menu

My debit card has an app that let's me turn it "off". This is designed to prevent "unauthorized" transactions. I was victim of fraud in the US and apparently spent $700 at Saks! My bank was great, but ever since I got the new card and the app came out, I only turn on my card right before I use it and turn it off right after. Maybe your bank has similar?
    I'm gonna be Iron like a Lion in Zion

User Info Menu

That app sounds like a great option, Livin'. I will have to look for that at my bank.

My bank is actually overly-cautious and they have turned off my ATM card multiple times in Negril - even after I told them I was travelling. This usually happened after using the NCB ATM at Sunshine plaza. That machine has a relatively low withdrawal limit (I think it was $20,000J at the time) so I tried to do 2 consecutive withdrawals. Apparently, this is a red flag and the bank locked my card. I spent quite a few Digicel minutes getting that resolved. Twice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LivinInThe603 View Post
    My debit card has an app that let's me turn it "off". This is designed to prevent "unauthorized" transactions. I was victim of fraud in the US and apparently spent $700 at Saks! My bank was great, but ever since I got the new card and the app came out, I only turn on my card right before I use it and turn it off right after. Maybe your bank has similar?
    WOAH! That's an awesome app! I will ask my bank manager tomorrow about it! I'm sure we don't have it ... but if it's out there ... make some noise! Thanks, LIT603! We have had our credit cards and debit cards frauded both here and abroad. You gotta stay on it, and check your statements on line regularly! Somebody in Allentown, PA spent $5,000 ... US!!! - on furniture! Ticked me off! I always check any ATM I use, anywhere, before I put my card in - I look it up and down, and pull on the card slot and money slot, and look for anything that seems out of place - missing parts, loose parts, tiny holes that don't seem right ... even inside of banks - both here at home, and abroad. It's just habit. Some may call it paranoia ... I call it protecting my investments! That said, even with my paranoid checks, never had a problem with the ATM in Times Square. Lots of security around. Downside is lots of tour buses stop there, so it can be empty on Sundays. Plan ahead! For me it's awesome last 2 trips and the upcoming one, as it's right beside Pure Garden where we stay. Jamaica doesn't have the market cornered on ATM scammers .... it's pretty universal!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LivinInThe603 View Post
    My debit card has an app that let's me turn it "off". This is designed to prevent "unauthorized" transactions.
    This should be mandatory for all credit and/or debit card companies to offer. Of course it should not be mandatory to use, as there are people that do not have smartphones, but I think that this would decrease the amount of fraud tremendously.

What bank do you use?

~Moose
    Mi Irie

~Just my two cents worth - I mostly only comment on places I've seen and or eaten at personally.