Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: USA Travel Advisory Against (FALSE) Traveling to Jamaica

User Info Menu

USA Travel Advisory Against (FALSE) Traveling to Jamaica

Well with the upsurge in Jamaican crime ....
    The USA posted a Travel Advisory Against Traveling to Jamaica...
    This saddens mi deeply....yes it's a stage 2...but it' still very bad news
    Be safe out there....and always use your common sense when in Jamaica
    Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: USA Travel Advisory Against Traveling to Jamaica

Marko is not making the level two advisory clear. He is exaggerating.

The US is NOT advising against travel to Jamaica!

A level two means exercise increased caution. It applies to three areas of Jamaica:

"Jamaica – Level 2: Exercise increased caution
    Exercise increased caution in Jamaica due to crime. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory.

Do not travel to:

Some areas of Kingston due to crime.

Some areas of Montego Bay due to crime.

Spanish Town due to crime."

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html

As the advisory states, please read the full advisory.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Marko is not making the level two advisory clear. He is exaggerating.

The US is NOT advising against travel to Jamaica!

A level two means exercise increased caution. It applies to three areas of Jamaica:

"Jamaica – Level 2: Exercise increased caution
    Exercise increased caution in Jamaica due to crime. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory.

Do not travel to:

Spanish Town due to crime."

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html

As the advisory states, please read the full advisory.
    this is very bad news Rob......mi had a buddy cancel his trip next week to Negril because of this....even after talking to mi
    Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

Administrator

User Info Menu

Marko,

There is NO USA Travel Advisory Against Traveling To Jamaica. Telling people and posting that there is one when there is not, is what is very bad...

Similar travel advisories have been issued in the past. But exaggerating about them helps no one.

If there is a real advisory against travel to Jamaica by any country, we would post and highlight that immediately as safety of our visitors is foremost.

To post false, misleading information diminishes the value of true travel advisories.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Sometimes I wonder why Marko stays in Jamaica. Seems like not only is his glass half empty ...somebody stole the ras thing.

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

There's crime everywhere in the world, especially in touristy areas. Growing up and living my entire life in Brooklyn and NYC, crime doesn't prevent me from doing much. I actually feel safer in Negril than certain areas in NYC. I also feel MOST locals will watch out for the tourists, since the local economy of Negril is based completely on tourism, and the general population are kind and good people. I also feel that since there isn't that much crime in Negril, what crime there is, is highlighted. I feel much safer in Negril than I do in Mexico and the DR, where the crimes are more common and more severe. It all comes down to common sense. Don't put yourself in a compromised position, and your chances of being a victim of crime is dramatically reduced.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnNYC View Post
    .......Don't put yourself in a compromised position, and your chances of being a victim of crime is dramatically reduced.

Spanish Town due to crime.

US advisory or not, these places have unfortunately been no go zones for tourists for at least 20 years.

There are neighborhoods within a 10 mile radius of my home that should carry the same warning.

User Info Menu

I agree with Cap. But if most readers are like me, they skip over his posts because of the way he writes his posts I don't make the effort to try and read them.
    July 1993*, Feb 2003, Aug 2005, April 2007, Feb 2008, Feb 2009, April 2010, Nov 2010, Nov 2011, Nov 2012, March 2013*, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, March 2015*, Nov 2015*, April 2016*, Oct 2016, Nov 2017*, May 2018*, Nov 2018*, Oct/Nov 2019*, Dec 2020*, Dec 2021*, May 2022* (Portland), Dec 2022* (Irish Town/Strawberry Hill), Dec 2023*, Dec 2024*

User Info Menu

Last January while we were staying in Isla Mujeres, there was shooting in a night club in Canun that killed a tourist and cop. That event triggered a high-level travel advisory for Cancun, yet Isla was perfectly safe for us to wander about all hours of the night.

I do appreciate reading about these travel advisories. However, on our upcoming trip I will ask Linston to bypass "some areas of Montego Bay" and take us directly to Negril.

User Info Menu

You have to pay attention anywhere you go. Exercise caution and trust your instincts. Even in Negril it's not unheard of to run into some Kold Ass Mofo
    [https://www.TickerFactory.com/]