After eating, I refilled my empty plastic rum cup and Shane rolled and blazed up another spliff. We talked about the food and the possibility of doing it again. I was all for it. Maybe a big pot of steamed vegetables or even fish if conch can’t be found.

I had a few dollars set aside to give him for shopping and cooking. But he wouldn’t take it. He said eating was all the payment he deserved. "Deserved? As in earned???" "Yes", he confirmed. To me, it wasn’t enough because I know a little about his financial situation. I told him to take it and purchase phone credit for his grandfather. He liked that suggestion. He’s a good kid…I should say young man.

“Shane, why do you sit with me for so long? I can’t possibly be that interesting.”
“Yeah….yeah you are. You’re like a bigger (older) sister for me.”
“Honey, I’m old enough to be your mother. Let’s say auntie.”
“Auntie??? What? Vi, you about 40? 42?”
“Oh aren’t you sweet.”

I just smiled and sipped my rum. hmmm 42 was a good age…think I’ll wear it again for the rest of the week.

This excellent day was gradually evolving into a delightfully beautiful evening. The sand beneath my feet maintains the warmth from the sun. Heavens it feels good. And goodness! I’m completely memorized by the ocean’s seductive dance.