Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The harder they come staring Jimmy Cliff The best Ja movie ever!

User Info Menu

The harder they come staring Jimmy Cliff The best Ja movie ever!

The scene in the recording studio (30:34) is Toots and the Maytells singing "Sweet and Dandy" which was a huge hit.

The music alone is worth the time. The story is very real......about the music business in the 60s

Last edited by captaind; 02-22-2018 at 05:27 PM.
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Re: The harder they come staring Jimmy Cliff The best Ja movie ever!

I mon Jimmy

Name:  Jimmy Cliff In Jamaica.JPG
Views: 6694
Size:  151.1 KBName:  John & Jimmy 1983.JPG
Views: 2411
Size:  131.2 KB

User Info Menu

Johng,

What a great picture of you with Jimmy.......

Respect

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Thanks Cap, Appreciate the compliment. I first met Jimmy on a flight from NYC to MoBay in 1980. He was dressed in all military green, todays version of camo, and a black tam. Ran into him over the years. I believe he is from the MoBay area. Very nice man!!

Respect

John

Name:  Forward And Fiaca.JPG
Views: 1733
Size:  438.8 KB
    Last edited by johng; 02-22-2018 at 08:06 PM.

User Info Menu

Cap,

You are right "The Harder They Come" is a classic and the soundtrack is the best of the best!!! It really was about life in Jamaica out in the open. I know that Perry Henzell's follow up "No Place Like Home" was filmed in part in Negril and Countryman was in the cast. Were you around when they filmed in Negril?

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johng View Post
    Cap,

You are right "The Harder They Come" is a classic and the soundtrack is the best of the best!!! It really was about life in Jamaica out in the open. I know that Perry Henzell's follow up "No Place Like Home" was filmed in part in Negril and Countryman was in the cast. Were you around when they filmed in Negril?

John
    By 1975 I was living in Spring Garden full time. I only slept in Negril for three visits. Last two times at Miss Gloria's ..........first time in Elvira's house (Our Pastime) . She was not there and Nard Weary was the house guy.......... A cousin of one of my crew on the ship

I'm not really that familiar with Negril. ........Miss Gloria's, The Reynolds , Cosmo Brown. The Donaldsons, Eleanor and Hans and few of the beach families. Never got to the cliffs much at all

That doesn't count the 129 nights starting in 2010 I stayed at Sea Star while I was re building

'member say I was foreign for 24 years

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

johng - I was in Negril when they were filming "No Place Like Home" -- they all of the cast hung out where you might know of as 'Hungry Lion' but it was cottages in those times run by Bertram and GreerAnne. A portion of the film was done at Awee Maway Village, which turned into Pickled Parrot. They did hire some locals, mainly the ones I noticed were some of the Rasta's who used to live across from Ten Sing Pen, I think where Sharky's is now.
    CapD - I used to be at Elvira's house quite often and knew Nard very well. Have you kept in touch with him? You might find this book very interesting: "38 Years a Fugitive" by E.D. Paull, the first third of the book focuses on the guys experiences in Vietnam with the later 2/3rd of the book about Negril in the 1970's and 80's a portion of the book takes place at Our Past Time. I almost fell out of my chair when the author had a picture of himself in the middle of the book. He was the guy who was my neighbor on and off when he stayed across from Whoopies Park and also stayed at Our Past Time for months at a time (when Ruthie and Hayden stayed there). Elvira was a hoot - most of the times off-island but perpetually there on and off.

User Info Menu

Jim and I were there too during the filming and they had us sitting on a stone wall somewhere on the west end. They needed a couple of hippies for a drive by scene. I'm sure we ended up on the cutting room floor. Got a ride back to town with the star.
    Regards,
    Bob

User Info Menu

rjohnsun, I was there too. A friend of mine was the still photographer and I still keep in touch with her. Susan O'Meara, the female lead passed away a year or so ago to cancer. I understand that Countryman has also passed. I had heard that "No Place Like Home" has been remastered and was to be released this past August but I have been unable to find it anywhere. Below is the trailer which is pretty cool. Many of the cast from "The Harder They Come" are in "No Place Like Home".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7B4JPdGJ58

User Info Menu

Jeez...... I started an "old geezers" thread......... We know everything that didn't used to be there.........

Geezers rule!!!!!

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave