Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bourbon Beach closed???

User Info Menu

bnewb you are so wrong. We are staying at the same hotel as the two guys who were mugged and they have no reason to lie. We saw them make a police report. We also saw them on the beach talking to a rasta prior to the mugging.

We warned him about the guy who had been making abusive comments to women who were not interested in his overpriced bracelets. He quoted us $40 for a factory made bangle, we walked away and the guy spewed out a torrent of abuse at us following us down the beach. The security guard at CodolePalm came to our assistance. Several guests at Coco spoke to the guys after they returned and can assure you this story is no 'invention'.

The guys were later mugged on the beach around the area where those agressive scumbags congregate. The types who do not want to work and who prey on tourists and abuse them if they do not receive money.

The whole area from the craft market down to Rooms needs to be cleaned up. The hustling and begging by loafers is agressive and is driving tourists away.

We were at the hotel when the guys returned shocked, we heard thenm call the police and witnessed them makinga reports. If you think this story is an 'invention' I suggest you call the Negril Police department or talk to the secutiy at CocoLe Palm who knows the young men in quesiton and can vouch for the assault which happened.

Begging has become more agressive. Tourism numbers are down, however the thugs who prey on and abuse tourists are biting the hand that feeds them. They need to be dealt with by the police and rounded noff the beach, they need to be made to do some community work or be enlisted in the army. they are harming Negril's image and driving away tourists.

User Info Menu

To the lady looking for a nice all inclusive in December I would suggest Merrils, a lovely porperty, reasonably priced and great service. It's one of the best all incluvive hotels in Negril, and small enough to be like a home from home, unlike some of the massive 5 star more expensive resorts which lack the personal touch.

User Info Menu

Crystal Waters,
    I was thinking merrills could be a good choice too if priced right.Thank you

Also I believe your report could be true.
    I am not going to go to the lengths of phoning the police as I already know what is happening lately in Negril (well what people tell me)

If it got to the point of me phoning the local police station that would be my own cue not to go.

I understand bnewbs response though because unfortunately alongside the very real distressing disturbances there will always be a number of people who will make up stories either to try and fiddle insurance people or for other reasons.

I am going to be very wary and alert this trip but there are incidents everywhere but I have heard about a few more this past year or so but how true they all are I really do not know.
    I do know it is real and can happen but I also know how many times I have taken all my family to Negril and done a lot of things others would not perhaps do and have never once encountered a problem.

The aggressive salesmen are doing themselves absolutely no favours as when word gets round people will just back off totally or go in the other direction as soon as they see them.It is unfair on the genuine vendors.

I feel I will be quite cautious this trip but not to the extent where I want to check up on things or consider cancelling or anything like that.
    In the event of a mugging of myself which I hope would never happen I do not know who would be more upset or mad- me or the mugger as I have nothing worth mugging!
    We all have to be very aware of what we are saying and to who and of our surroundings anywhere in the world, that being said there will always be the very unfortunate people who are just at the wrong place at the wrong time and nothing could prevent it.

I have never witnessed any incidents in Jamaica and I hope I never will I think words you say and to whom also has a big effect on things in Jamaica.
    For example if you are known as the person first in line to buy whatever substance that is the type of people you will attract

I am first in line for concerts what will I attract
    NOT sure if it works both ways
    Last edited by TiCtOc; 11-10-2011 at 08:53 AM.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Crystalwaters,

Before turning this thread into a battle, please note that Bnewb did not say this unfortunate event (as she described it) did not occur, but only that the situation could sound suspect. She was adding to your comment that the two men may have been naive for carrying the majority of the vacation money with them, as well as their their passports at night on the beach. And now that you state that you had already warned them about the aggressive man on the beach, it would seem that there maybe something more than naivety playing a role. You had already warned them, yet they still made a decision to carry most of their vacation money and passports with them at night.

Bnewb pointed out that since common sense would dictate not to carry the majority of your vacation cash on you at night as well as your passports (there are room safes in the hotel, correct?), when something like this occurs, then it can be suspect.

From my experience, including bringing hundreds of people here each week for Spring Break for several years in the early 90's, to the nearly 20 years living in Jamaica, there are many reason why people choose to make false claims. It can range from planning to scam a hotel before arrival to indulging a bit too much and simply losing the items and feeling stupid about it to wrecking a scooter and claiming it "stolen" to being involved in some nefarious deal that turns bad and one loses their money. These situations do unfortunately occur and not everyone is honest with their explanations, even to the police.

The best lesson that can come from this unfortunate situation is that there is never any possible logical reason to be carrying the majority of your vacation cash on your person, expect for when you arriving directly from the airport. At that point, lock up your money and passsports and other important documents in your room safe when you arrive at your room. Only take what you are willing to spend when you head out at anytime. And there is no need to be carrying your passport at night - no one is going to ask to see your passport. If you are planning on using a credit/debit card, any picture ID will suffice for confirmation identification.

As for the tourism numbers being down causing the situation, while June and September did seem slower this year than usual, October and especially November have picked up to the point where things seem busier now than usual. The situation may actually have more to do with the decrease in remittances than due to any perceived hostility towards visitors. And as with what will happen to the rude guy you mentioned on the beach, the locals and the police in the area will deal with the thugs as they always do once they do something wrong. Even Robert & Maureen at their new place Sunnyside as mentioned in Clarity's trip report have an investment in their business right next to Rooms, and they do not want to lose that investment based upon a few bad apples.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Tictoc you are right, the agressive hustlers do a disservice to the genuine vendors who are polite and offer a genuinely good service. I regularly buy fresh fruit from the lady who walks the beach daily with the basket of fruit on her head. I also buy coconut cake from another vedor. However these hardworking vendors are a world apart from the layabout hustlers who just prey on tourists and who do not want to work.

They need to be cleared off the stretch of the beach as they are doing no favours to the local business and hotels which they congregate next to.

I have oten walked along the beach late at night, and had no problem, it's been well lit, but after this incident I will now think twice about walking after sunset on the beach.

Another suggestion to the lady seeking a good hotel in December is Hidden Paradise, reasonably priced and set in lovely gardens, small homely atmospehere and good management. We love Coco Le Palm, excellent value for the quality provided, and so many repeat customers, we spoke to guests who are on their 15th visit! and this is common.

Very well managed, excellent service, good security, comfortable rooms. Coco has to be one of the best hotels on the beach in Negril

User Info Menu

To Rob, yeshis they were certainly naive, but I doubt very much this was an insurance scam. They had flown in from New York, had changed money, hit the beach, had a spliff, supplied by the guy selling the expensive jewlery, then wandered off into the dark down the beach.

They were sitting ducks, and who knows if the guy who sold them the spliffs had not tipped off his pals further down the beach.

Had it been the end of their trip I would have been suspicious, but seeing that they had only just flown in and were eager to spend and experience Negril I feel this was an unfortunate incident from which they will hopefully have learnt a lesson.

User Info Menu

Sometimes newbies do dumb things even if they've been warned.

Many years ago Miss G's sister , brother in law and another friend came to visit. We had suggested T Water and so they had two rooms there. We were waiting for then rather than pick then up at Sangster as our vehicle at the time was a Land Rover diesel jeep and was like riding in a concrete block.

They arrived at T Water and I introduced them to Errol and Lionel and told them if the needed anything to ask me or either of them. We went to their rooms and within 15 minutes both guys were missing. I went to the front desk area and inquired if anyone saw them leave and sure enough they had gotten into a private car with a certain well known "bad man".

Luckily I knew both the guy and where he lived in Red Ground. I went up there and believe me it took some bargaining ($) to get them out of that place.

When I asked "WTF were you thinking?" they said that the guy had told them he had the "real" stuff. and off they went.

Go Figure!!
    Last edited by captaind; 11-10-2011 at 10:11 AM.
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

We really hate walking that area between Boat Bar and White Sands. I think it's where the old 24/7 was. It's just a little creepy walking at night. When we walk it we wait for the beach cops or another couple/group and just walk behind them. Something really should be done to make tourists feel more safe in that area.

"Don't be no cloud on a sunny day" - Volkswagen's "Get Happy" Super Bowl ad

User Info Menu

Was the original topic about Bourbon Beach being closed???

I think we can all agree that stuffing your pockets with money, wearing bling and carrying your travel documents around at night on the beach is a dumb move.

There is a bad element of locals (actually more of people who move from country to Negril more than people who were born and raised there) who make a living of the soft underbelly of the tourist. Everyone is looking for something and they will supply it if they can or they will simply take your possessions if given an opportunity.

The key word here is "opportunity". Don't make yourself a target in Negril, New York, Miami etc. etc. These people will eventually be dealt with by the local people who are also hurt by these people but don't expect the police to do anything about them.

Just my opinion.

Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

i spent time in negril late sept early october of this year. normally, i would buy a bag of cat food and leave it for herbie's cats . . . this time around, the same routine, mid afternoon, get out of my car and immediately felt unsafe . . . there were about 10 guys i've never seen hanging around herbie's . . . hardcore guys . . . you don't have to be a brain surgin to figure out that it's not a safe place . . . herbie was not around, nor was bobo . . . apparently, we were told that bobo is no longer there . . . i left the cat food and left the area and did not go back . . . the place was in a real disaray . . . that is the same area where the robbery occurred next to rooms . . . i'm a seasoned traveller, if i feel unsafe, i don't linger but move on.