Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: End of our last trip

User Info Menu

End of our last trip

So, leading up to our last trip we were pretty upbeat and I was going to post a trip report. I have a nice I-phone 6s plus and my camera. My camera is bigger so I really only took about 5 or 6 pictures with it and took dozens with the iPhone. Our trip home started out on a bad note when we got to the airport at 10am on our last day only to find out our flight had been moved to 5pm. So 7 hours later we get to boarding and just before we step onto the plane we are asked to give up our carry on as the plane is really full. No biggy we've done that before and Eryn has our flight stuff, passports, wallets etc in her purse, no biggy. Fly from Mobay to Washington and get off the plane. We get our carry on bags back right away and I'm looking for mine to turn on my phone which has been on airplane mode for 15 days to catch up on email while waiting for our next flight. Only thing is, my phone is not in my carry on. It quickly becomes obvious my carry on has been gone through and my phone is gone. Go directly to our carrier service desk and am promptly told to fill out a complaint and that that can only be done at our final destination. I'm not a cloud user as it spooks me to use this type of service, I do however download my pics often and store my info on a stick drive. I hadn't had an opportunity to do this so we lost all our photo memories for this trip and hence the bad taste in my mouth has stalled my trip report. It gets worse, my wife wants to go to Florida next year.
    [https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Re: End of our last trip

Hi, what a bummer start. It really bothers me when they ask you to give up your carry on, as that's where I always carry my must haves. I purposely pick seats as close to front now, so I can keep
    my carry on......Confused about you flying through Washington, since I thought you were from Minny, and both Delta and Sun Country fly direct from Minneapolis ?

User Info Menu

This is terrible news. Your trip reports are awesome. Seems like a scam move at MBJ to me, I fly a lot and have never been asked to give up a carryon - as long as it fits under the seat in front of you, why would they care?

Florida is not a bad stopover on the way back to MoBay...

User Info Menu

Odison, It happens all the time, at least on Delta. So many folks carry on larger items, as they do not want to check bags, so they run out of room, and the folks that board last are actually forced to check their carryon. I was asked on my last fight, and refused.....I said, no way, all my good stuff is in this. ( my cute clothes !! ) By the way, we are talking about the carryon's that go in the space department above, not underseat.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jojo p View Post
    Odison, It happens all the time, at least on Delta. So many folks carry on larger items, as they do not want to check bags, so they run out of room, and the folks that board last are actually forced to check their carryon. I was asked on my last fight, and refused.....I said, no way, all my good stuff is in this. ( my cute clothes !! ) By the way, we are talking about the carryon's that go in the space department above, not underseat.
    Ya we are from Duluth. We have flown directly from Minni but Duluth has been very competitive pricing wise so we have been going from Duluth. It was United, which isn't my favorite airline, but never the less for 5 or 6 hundred dollars I'll fly whom ever is cheapest, it's just a few hours. I have had my carry on taken often, but rarely right as we entered the plane. So as not to hold up the line by digging through for things of value I just handed it over. I've never had anything taken over many years of travel so I didn't give it much thought. It is the overhead compartment carry on I am referring to, and it does happen quite a bit. It was my work phone so I lost a ton of contact numbers. I'll be printing those babies out periodically from now on. just really bummed about the pictures. It was the first time with our 20 something kids and we took so so many pics of them interacting with the beach salesmen, (which they totally loved by the way), pics of them at the Pelican, on the Red Stripe, just so many we can't replace. Just really sad about it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jojo p View Post
    Gotcha - thought it was the smaller, personal bag.

User Info Menu

I feel your pain at losing your memories. You thought and reacted just as I did when told I had to check my carry-on upon boarding. JoJo is absolutely right, those sitting in the rear of the plane will be "told" to check their carry-on. They rushed me and didn't give me time to remove my valuables. When i arrived, yes my lap top was gone. This was Miami, so it's not a MBJ scam. It's the presence of an opportunity to steal.

Again, Irine's husband, I'm very sorry this happened to you. And if your lovely wife still wants to go to Florida next year, just look forward to the chance to create new memories with her.

User Info Menu

Yeah, that stinx. I had a bad event coming to Jamaica a few years ago. I fell asleep on the plane coming down and just got off the plane. When I went to exchange some money at the airport(yep, I still was a rookie), I realized that my wallet was missing (I figure it slipped out of my back pocket while sleeping). After a few tense moments and talking to the people at Delta, I finally got my wallet back but it was minus $600 I just grabbed the night before for the trip(I filled out a complaint too but never heard back about it). Fortunately, they left all my credit cards in my wallet, so I was able to still enjoy my trip. I'm positive the staff working the landed plane emptied my wallet so it was a lesson learned. My wallet is always in my front cargo pants pocket and all my valuables are always in my backpack that I take with my carry on. But with all that, I'm still going to keep coming back to Negril....

Last edited by ukran1ans; 03-27-2018 at 01:26 PM.

User Info Menu

I flew Southwest last week for the first time and I was amazed at how much space in the overheads there was even on a packed flight because of the free bag they allow.
    Regards,
    Bob

User Info Menu

If I had to guess, and I'm just speculating here, my first instinct was an employee in Washington not Montego Bay. In my years of visiting JA I have never felt as though Jamaican's as a whole are going around stealing things behind your back. Now try to swindle you face to face, that's another matter But I expect that and enjoy the bargaining process, they will get what they can, but not like thievery, more surreptitiously. Again just my humble opinion. I give away a lot of the things I bring every year just because I know they need it, they would NEVER ask for it (such a proud people) and I'm pretty sure never steal it. Now I'm sure the odd person reading this has had things go missing, my feeling is that's a really small part of the population and in general I feel they are very very honest.

But really, Florida? Sheesh.