Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ATM Fraud from Sunshine Village

User Info Menu

ATM Fraud from Sunshine Village

I used the ATM next to HiLo supermarket on 06Feb18, then on 13Apr18 was notified of a US$500 fraudulent ATM withdrawal using a clone of my card at “Royal Bank of Canada”. Significant thing is that the particular ATM card that I used for this transaction was never used for any other transaction.

I’ve never had any ATM problems in any previous yearly trips, and I’ve had no problem so far with any transactions this year using my other card using Scotia Bank ATM on traffic circle.

I will obviously never use the ATM at HiLo again.

User Info Menu

Re: ATM Fraud from Sunshine Village

I of course disputed the fraudulent transaction and canceled the ATM card. The bank for this ATM card advises it will take 10 working days to investigate this. I hope funds will be returned after this investigation.

User Info Menu

This is exactly why I only take cash. People give me a hard time on the board for it, but I've never had to deal with this crap.

Sorry it happened to you. I hope you get every penny back.
    July 1993*, Feb 2003, Aug 2005, April 2007, Feb 2008, Feb 2009, April 2010, Nov 2010, Nov 2011, Nov 2012, March 2013*, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, March 2015*, Nov 2015*, April 2016*, Oct 2016, Nov 2017*, May 2018*, Nov 2018*, Oct/Nov 2019*, Dec 2020*, Dec 2021*, May 2022* (Portland), Dec 2022* (Irish Town/Strawberry Hill), Dec 2023*, Dec 2024*

User Info Menu

Cash is King!

User Info Menu

I worry about fraud in the US so in Jamaica which has less resources for enforcement the only way to protect your self is with cash. Lots of small bills

User Info Menu

I also used that ATM machine last Feb and just had a fraudulent withdrawal from the same card. The card is canceled and I will get the money back so it is not a huge deal. But I too will never go back to that ATM next to Hi Lo. I use mostly cash when in Negril, but when you are there for 3 months at a time it would be hard to use all cash.

User Info Menu

Hope it all works out for you, Frankk.

A good friend mine was hacked...she had two transactions from India go through while she was here in Negril...thankfully her bank is very proactive with these issues and she was able to resolve the problem as soon as she got back to Canada...$800cad returned immediately. Apparently a number of people had been hacked at her bank in Canada.

Unfortunately, in this day and age of banking and ATM hacks/skimming we all have to help prevent the issue. I tell my bank if I'm travelling elsewhere and they always alert me if there's unusual activity on my card. I continually check my account online for problems also.

The banks here are trying also...we lost use of the ATM at Time Square late last summer after some hacking/skimming issues...it was only recently replaced with new modern hardware to help prevent these problems.
    Last edited by Bnewb; 04-20-2018 at 09:43 AM.

User Info Menu

The fraudulent withdrawals on my card also were made in India. Maybe a coincidence. Although to quote Gibbs (rule 31) There is no such thing as a coincidence.

User Info Menu

Lord I miss Traveler's Cheques (Checks).

They were a low tech solution to fraud and theft but they worked so well! I used them all the time and after getting my hotel room broken into while visiting Hawaii and having ALL of them stolen, I had all my money back in my pocket the same day.
    Last edited by halfwaytree; 04-20-2018 at 12:00 PM.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yooper bill View Post
    The fraudulent withdrawals on my card also were made in India. Maybe a coincidence. Although to quote Gibbs (rule 31) There is no such thing as a coincidence.
    The episode I saw two days ago had that as rule 39...
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!