Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Fruits & Veggies

User Info Menu

Re: Fruits & Veggies

Quote Originally Posted by TAH View Post
    Lisa,
    It would just be nice, if once in a while one of you or Rob would acknowledge that maybe you didn't handle something as well as could have been handled. But that never happens. You two are always 100% correct, no matter what. And the down talking that happens is just... ugly. Especially once the peanut gallery gets on board.
    Tah...I had an opinion also and provided some factual information...no different than Vi...I didn't say anybody or anything was "ludicrous" and I didn't use the term "peanut gallery" to insult anyone...if I'm the one that has been insulting...please direct me to my rude comments and I will gladly apologize.

Here's an interesting event that just happened to swimmer Lizzie Simmonds...I think this can often be applied to much of the context of social media...
    "Some people read it in the exact voice that I meant it and other people read it like I was arrogant and expecting recognition. But I'd never expect that, I am not a household name, I wasn't tweeting about it because I thought I was famous! I was tweeting because I had a funny misunderstanding. People are very quick to judge on social media."
    https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-43387879
    Last edited by Bnewb; 06-13-2018 at 11:49 AM.

User Info Menu

TAH, your mailbox is full.

User Info Menu

Cleaned up...

User Info Menu

Linston just reaped a dozen lime off the tree up by the kitchen.

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Another LIKE for TAH, HarryS et al. I too have felt the negativity and hostility when trying to voice my opinion or contribute to the discussion.

I don't have time to look back in the posts to see who the big fan of Jamaican limes versus "North American" limes is but on the topic of laughter, their comment made me laugh. Especially after my wife cracked up laughing last week when she ordered a vodka/tonic at Roots Bamboo and this piece of lime the size (diameter and thickness) of a penny came in the drink. If Jamaican limes are so plentiful and cheap, why are they so miserly with them at bars?

I will come to Vi's rescue and to publicly disclose that my wife also does bring limes with her when we are returning to Jamaica. Yes, she knows the rules. They are in a clear Ziploc bag in her carry on. Sometimes the TSA security in Toronto check her bag and ironically enough some of those security agents are even of Jamaican descent. They know the rules, they see the limes. She declares them on her Jamaican customs and immigration form and is rarely questioned about them. Never ever have they been confiscated and/or has she received a fine.

Sometimes there are even work gloves in my luggage that we use to pick up trash along the beach or along the roadside in the morning when we walk the dog. That same trash is then disposed of at our curb when our private contractor garbage hauler comes to pick up our self generated refuse.

You like chocolate, I like vanilla. You like rum, I like beer.

Nuff said.

Respect.

User Info Menu

like anywhere... fruits and veggies in season will be for sale at local markets because the local markets are not for the tourists so much, but for the everyday local person....
    I'm gonna be Iron like a Lion in Zion

User Info Menu

Nobody should take any offence on discussions. Adults should be able to conversate, and even sometimes disagree, without feeling offended and without continued provocation on either side. Maybe when providing answers we can copy and paste links for reference as to how we obtain our information, or just saying ``in my knowledge`` or opinion if youre just basing your answer off the top of your head.... and lets all remember when you are on a forum, brought together by a common interest, we are here to discuss opinions and trade tips and not to take things so personal. Everybody can have a different opinion on a text they read and, some can even INTERPRET wrongfully just by reading in a certain mental tone. Nobody has to be right or wrong the point of tricky questions is the ability to challenge and figure out why it is so controversial.

Most countries allow DECLARED fruits, i repeat YOU NEED TO DECLARE IT (IF YOU LIE ON A DECLARATION FORM, WHICH IS A LEGAL DOCUMENT, you can be subjected to consequences; Confiscation of items, Fines ...). If you declare they will probably be looked over and determined if they are fine and permitted which normally they will be allowed. The exception to this is if in liquid form ( juice, purée, mashed) it will be subjected under the LIQUIDS category

Certain countries have very weak ecosystems and dont allow you bringing fruits or plants exactly because it can destroy.

THE ACTUAL ANSWER, Depends on each country you will be travelling to with the items all depends on the agent processing you and your items, if he or she determines the item should not enter the country, or the person, it is up to THEIR (the processing agents) discretion and not yours. In jamaica if it is a solid fresh fruit, and properly declared it SHOULD pass without problems, but once again, the SHOULD depends on the processing agent

From my knowledge, declare everything. In my opinion, if im going on vacation internationally, i like to participate in aiding the local economy and survive with the same means and items that are located around. When i pack on vacation, im packing essentials; Clothes, medication, certain accesories. Anything i will want, i will buy on vacation and if they dont have the same i will look for a close alternative. I splurge myself with the luxury of travel, and i feel lucky to have this privilege so i dont need to save money on vacation and bring any type of consumables with me from home. On the contrary, i save money before my vacation, so when i am on vacation i can consume and buy whats available around me, but then again this is MY opinion, my personal experiences, and everybody is entitled to thinking of the best way they can vacation even if it means bringing things from home to mix drinks, eat or whatever their heart desires.

https://www.dontpackapest.com/ Great to read and to understand why you shouldn`t bring dangerous items internationally, how it can hurt their ENVIRONMENT, FOOD & PRODUCE and ECONOMY.
    http://blog.makeitjamaica.com/top-mi...igration-form/ Maybe reading this little blog post will help as well

This message was created hopefully in the intent to help calm and difuse any situation that anybody might have seemed to arrive, real life works us up and stress us out sometimes, lets try not to make this influence the great website that we all use and have used for great and valuable information

Administrator

User Info Menu

The most important responsibility for Negril.com is to make sure that everyone, especially first timers, get the most accurate and beneficial information possible in order for them to have the best vacation possible.

When legal issues are addressed, accurate information can become the difference between having a great vacation and one that is, well, not so great.

Just because an illegal action, without ramifications, has been done in the past doesn't make it any less against the law or less of a risk to the country.

I feel this is where some of the animosity arises from, as it has with similar topics discussed in the past such as the use of illegal "taxis". Some people don't like to find out that something that they have done and recommend is illegal and harmful.

It took years, but now visitors know before they go to make sure and use legal taxis. Many of the same arguments were used in support of illegal taxis, but common sense prevailed.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Ahh, I care about your posts TAH, most times they are insightful and it's tough being a realist. I also tend to see the single binding thread behind 50 or 60 responses to one question. "Can I bring limes?", "Well on any given Sunday they may take them". End of post. VI can make up her own mind after that. Asked and answered. I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to write that into a thread, but then I think the same thing you do "no one cares" and I don't bother. My problem is I'm a realist with an acute sense of humor. My first response that came to mind to post was "Alright, I have a lime mule". (message me privately VI about a lime deal if I'm there when you are). My humor, which most times people don't get anyway, usually ends up enlightening no one, and the ping pong ball of right and wrong gets paddled back and forth with seemingly no winner until the thread dies, or it gets locked up.

But just so you know, I read every thread you post with interest. There are a handful of folks on the board who we would really like to meet as what they have said brightens our day, I don't pay much attention to a lot of the rest. Remember opinions are like assh#*#s, everybody has one.

Quote Originally Posted by TAH View Post
    All produce imported into the US (and thus most anything leaving the US) has been treated to kill any potential organisms. And I think it's at best in poor taste for everyone to jump on vi about simply relating her experience. This kind of thing is exactly why I don't post here much at all (I realize nobody cares about that, but I can't be the only one).

If the actual customs official directly told her that it applies to commercial importers, that should at least be acknowledged. But all anyone seems to want to do is argue about it. It's a bad look.
    Last edited by Irine; 06-14-2018 at 09:12 AM.
    [https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

While the recreational use of cannabis is illegal in Jamaica and carries a monetary fine and possible imprisonment if caught in possession, information about ganja and ganja products has been shared freely on Negril.com for years. One can find tips on where to buy it, how much to pay for it, how to ingest it, even how not to get caught while indulging. The “warning” Negril.com provides if violating this law is an occasional soft reminder that it’s still illegal, but decriminalized. However, after only two posts from me, (1st-sharing an experience. 2nd-explaining said experience after challenged) I’m quickly informed what I did was illegal, delivered the 2015 Jamaica Customs Restricted List followed by a flood of words dissecting my attempts at reasoning. Within these 6 pages, Negril.com made a stand to be unmovable regarding the law I’m accused of breaching because Negril.com “prefers to respect the law”.

Just like Jamaica has reasons for restricting the importation of fruits and vegetables, they also have reasons for the recreational use of cannabis to remain illegal. So why does Negril.com choose to be immovable regarding upholding one law, but not another??

This is what motivated me to post here one more time. And because of the time and energy I put into supporting Negril.com I deserve this last expression.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamaica Jeff View Post
    I will come to Vi's rescue and to publicly disclose that my wife also does bring limes with her when we are returning to Jamaica. Yes, she knows the rules. They are in a clear Ziploc bag in her carry on. Sometimes the TSA security in Toronto check her bag and ironically enough some of those security agents are even of Jamaican descent. They know the rules, they see the limes. She declares them on her Jamaican customs and immigration form and is rarely questioned about them. Never ever have they been confiscated and/or has she received a fine.
    Thank you Jamaica Jeff for speaking up and thank Jah you were spared chastisement.

Yes, in my fashion, I defended my real life experience when it was challenged. Yes, out of human nature, I reacted to the mockery with sarcasm. But, what do I do when the administrator of Negril.com publically questions my regard for Jamaica and suggests that I’m cheap? How do I prevent new visitors to Negrilcom from concluding that this *vi*individual is a shameful, irresponsible, selfish traveler after reading the administrator’s words?

They don’t know that I didn’t just roll up on Negrilcom. They don’t know that I promote a particular parish via this board to encourage lovers of Jamaica to experience something new. They don’t know that I delight in posting trip reports full of colorful words and a ton of pictures about Jamaica generating hundreds of views to not only Portland, but Negrilcom in general. Yet the administrator does know all the above.

What about existing members?? Will they now doubt the authenticity of my writings??? hmmm….perhaps, I don’t know.

What I do know is I did not deserve this. No long-term member does. As TAH mentioned, it could have been handled differently as it was with Jamaica Jeff’s post. But if Jamaica laws aren’t dealt with equally on Negril.com, then why should I expect the treatment of board members to be equal. The sight of the thread actually affects me physically. I remember a time when posts didn’t last this long on the first page. Good or bad they would quickly shift down out of view for being replaced by new topics to enjoy or ponder over. That might have helped. Alas that’s no longer the case here on Negril.com. Since the thread won’t be going away naturally any time soon or, even better, deleted, then I will be the one to disappear.

Peace