Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Strange request but...

User Info Menu

Strange request but...

Hello Boardies,

I am wondering if any of the "resident" Boardies may know of a registered dietician in and around Negril (Sav, Lucea etc).

Our housekeeper's mother has started to experience high blood sugar which her doctor feels may be able to be controlled at this point through proper diet. She is in her mid 50's but in poor health due to a stroke a few years back. Not very active and not very mobile so to speak.

She is a vegetarian and eats a lot of high sugar fruit, bread, flour etc. I am by no means educated on this sort of thing and am trying to help them however I can. I am hoping to locate a dietician that they can meet with to go over a proper diet plan based on her current food choices and what she should and shouldn't be consuming.

Yes, insulin may eventually be the best option but it's not there just yet as well as cost has to be kept in mind seeing as she is without income.

If anyone knows of such a medical professional in and around Negril I would really appreciate their contact information.

Jamaica Jeff

User Info Menu

Re: Strange request but...

Quote Originally Posted by Jamaica Jeff View Post
    Hello Boardies,

I am wondering if any of the "resident" Boardies may know of a registered dietician in and around Negril (Sav, Lucea etc).

Our housekeeper's mother has started to experience high blood sugar which her doctor feels may be able to be controlled at this point through proper diet. She is in her mid 50's but in poor health due to a stroke a few years back. Not very active and not very mobile so to speak.

She is a vegetarian and eats a lot of high sugar fruit, bread, flour etc. I am by no means educated on this sort of thing and am trying to help them however I can. I am hoping to locate a dietician that they can meet with to go over a proper diet plan based on her current food choices and what she should and shouldn't be consuming.

Yes, insulin may eventually be the best option but it's not there just yet as well as cost has to be kept in mind seeing as she is without income.

If anyone knows of such a medical professional in and around Negril I would really appreciate their contact information.

Jamaica Jeff
    Possibly Beth at Comforts of Home Nursing Services?

http://elohimito.wixsite.com/comfortsofhome

User Info Menu

I could only find one registered and offering a website in Montego Bay...maybe you could contact them for further information and/or where you might find someone closer...
    http://themontegobaydoctor.com/medic...ntego-bay.aspx

User Info Menu

this doctor is located in montego bay.

https://www.rowedocs.com/tamekastephenson/

great training and experience.

Dr. Tameka Stephenson, is a medical doctor and nutritionist, currently practicing at the Cornwall Regional Hospital (CRH). She is the Clinical Research Coordinator for two joint project on Multidisciplinary Double Blinded Clinical Trials in Jamaica, a collaboration between the Caribbean Medical Research Institute, the University of Michigan, and CorMedix (a pharmaceutical company). She has been involved in several other research projects by Pan American Health Organization, Tropical Metabolic Research Institute, Caribbean Food and Nutrition institute and The University of West Indies, Jamaica.

Dr. Stephenson earned her Bachelors in Nutrition and Dietetics with honors from The University of Technology, Jamaica (Utech), and a Masters in Nutrition from the University of the West Indies, where she later earned her Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery. Her training consisted of electives at Howard University in Washington, DC; Liberty Regional Hospital in Savannah, Georgia; and Complete Care Medical Center in Maryland.

Dr. Stephenson’s research thesis: “A Comparative Study of the Dietary Pattern of Adolescents and Mature Pregnant Women,” conducted at the University Hospital of the West Indies and the Victoria Jubilee Hospital was the first of its kind in the Caribbean. In 2011, she was the only member of her class selected to present her research at the Caribbean Health Research Council in Guyana. Dr. Stephenson writes regularly for the Caribbean Buzz Magazine and in 2012 was featured on Television Jamaica – “On The Road to Success.” She is a frequent speaker at award ceremonies, graduations, and conferences. She participated at the conference Leading the Way -by American Association of Black Women Attorneys by assisting with organization and as a speaker May 2017.