Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grand Pineapple Lately?

User Info Menu

Grand Pineapple Lately?

Anyone here been there recently? We have reservations for Nov. but I can still change them if I need to. Been there 3 times before (plus 2 times transferred to Beaches) & never had a problem & enjoyed the little cottage & love their beach but I've been reading some terrible reviews on TripAdvisor lately of how it's changed & running out of eggs as early as 8:30 & running out of food other times & running out of drinks a lot of the time. Sometimes people on TripAdvisor are extremely picky (we aren't so much) so I wondered if anyone on this board has been in the last 6 months or so?

User Info Menu

Re: Grand Pineapple Lately?

I "splurged" for a beachfront cottage room. I was happier in the garden side manor the other two times I stayed there. I won't be going back. I've just outgrown it. I ate there once. Maybe got some water from the bar. I love the location, but even that isn't what it used to be for me. The wifi thing is annoying and there is just too much food around town that I hate to eat at a buffet if I can eat at a great local place. Even breakfast was disappointing- why I only ate there once.

I assume you are having some doubts, and only you can truly manage that, but for me, I don't need to stay there again. It's just not the experience I had the first two times and the location is no longer worth the cost to me.

Best of luck in figuring out what you are going to do! I'm sure it's a little bit stressful.
    I'm gonna be Iron like a Lion in Zion

User Info Menu

Yes I am having doubts. The main reason we book there is the price & it's low enough that we can eat a few meals elsewhere plus I get discounts from my return guest points but I don't know. Thanks for your input!

User Info Menu

We were there in May. They ran out of alcohol of some type every single day. One night they could only make drinks with coconut rum because that was the ONLY liquor they still had. They had run out of every other type until about noon the next day when they finally got more liquor.

One day they were out of eggs by 8:00 a.m. It was ridiculous.

It was our 3rd time at GP and we will not be back.

My Trip Advisor review has more details
    July 1993*, Feb 2003, Aug 2005, April 2007, Feb 2008, Feb 2009, April 2010, Nov 2010, Nov 2011, Nov 2012, March 2013*, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, March 2015*, Nov 2015*, April 2016*, Oct 2016, Nov 2017*, May 2018*, Nov 2018*, Oct/Nov 2019*, Dec 2020*, Dec 2021*, May 2022* (Portland), Dec 2022* (Irish Town/Strawberry Hill), Dec 2023*, Dec 2024*

User Info Menu

Sounds like the pineapple has been having some thirsty guests.

User Info Menu

It's sad that the GP standards seem to be slipping (was one of the first places I stayed at in Negril). I agree with 'Livin' in that eventually you can outgrow AI's in Negril. I find the experience superior staying at a smaller place now. You can go to the Palms or White Sands in Nov and have the same costs as GP too.

User Info Menu

I know. We did stay at WS twice in the past & had a great time. I started staying at GP because I thought the cottages were so cute lol Plus twice they sent us to Beaches & we ended up in an upgraded room there & a vacation that would have cost about $7,000 for just under $2,000. But if it has turned out as bad as it sounds I will go back to WS or maybe the cliffs sometime. They both (WS & GP) have a very nice piece of beach!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jaherring View Post
    Sounds like the pineapple has been having some thirsty guests.
    It doesn't matter how many thirsty guests they have. They should be prepared. I'm always thirsty and have never had any other resort run out of liquor.

Apparently the guests were hungry too since they ran out of eggs.
    Last edited by gregandkelly63; 07-16-2018 at 06:32 PM.
    July 1993*, Feb 2003, Aug 2005, April 2007, Feb 2008, Feb 2009, April 2010, Nov 2010, Nov 2011, Nov 2012, March 2013*, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, March 2015*, Nov 2015*, April 2016*, Oct 2016, Nov 2017*, May 2018*, Nov 2018*, Oct/Nov 2019*, Dec 2020*, Dec 2021*, May 2022* (Portland), Dec 2022* (Irish Town/Strawberry Hill), Dec 2023*, Dec 2024*

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SVW View Post
    I know. We did stay at WS twice in the past & had a great time. I started staying at GP because I thought the cottages were so cute lol Plus twice they sent us to Beaches & we ended up in an upgraded room there & a vacation that would have cost about $7,000 for just under $2,000. But if it has turned out as bad as it sounds I will go back to WS or maybe the cliffs sometime. They both (WS & GP) have a very nice piece of beach!
    Well once you decide what you're doing, feel free to throw your info onto the November roll call...

User Info Menu

It's in there now for GP but if it changes I'll let you know. I have contacted Sandals about the issues & am waiting to see their response.