Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taxi in Negril

User Info Menu

Taxi in Negril

The problem, I am currently working on, is: how do I drive Taxi (secure and cheap) in and around Negril. We are 4 people and our hotel is the Charela Inn. If we go to Rick's Cafe, we'd better take a taxi just for us - which type of taxi is that and what would it cost? Or we drive with route taxi - we must first from the hotel to Roundabout and from there to Rick's Cafe. So we have to pay two times for 4 people in the route taxi. How much is the fee? And then, of course, the question of whether I understood that correctly or the taxi problem is completely different.

Thank yo

User Info Menu

Re: Taxi in Negril

For the four of you it would be better IMHO to get a private taxi. I would go out to the road and get one rather than arranging one through your hotel as I found that it is cheaper to do so. (just my experience), in some cases it may be the same price.

Don't be afraid to negotiate a price (it is expected that you will do so). More often than not the first price quoted by the driver will be WAY WAY WAY too high.

Make sure that the FULL cost is CLEARLY agreed upon before stepping foot in the cab so there is no surprises later. Some cab drivers will be willing to wait for you while you are at Rick's and will drive you back to your hotel. If they offer that option then make sure you agree on the full cost of that as well, in advance.

User Info Menu

Good luck, dealing with taxi drivers was the only thing I didn't like about Negril. Best advice is to give them a low number and if they don't like it say no worries, soon come another driver.

User Info Menu

We always use a private taxi traveling to the west end for sunset and dinner. As mentioned negotiate before you get in. It doesn’t take long to figure out what the going rate is. We have the same driver return and pick us up. When you do that you pay nothing for the trip until you return safely to your hotel. As a side note there are great restaurants an easy walk from Ricks. (LTU and Ivan’s to mention just two) Your driver will pick you up wherever you are. Have a great trip!!

User Info Menu

If this is your first time, and with a party of 4, I'd check first to see whether there is a taxi that is at the hotel - some hotels have drivers there during the day, waiting for fares, although I don't know about Charela. If it costs you an extra $10 for additional comfort and convenience, it's not that big a deal really. You're already staying in a relatively upscale place, and going to a relatively expensive bar. Might as well make it easy all around. A route cab converted to charter for 4 people is going to be $12. each way anyway.

User Info Menu

Charela has an excellent driver with a van. I can’t remember his name. And if you walk out to the road there are usually red plates waiting for fares.
    Last edited by Ras Walleye; 07-22-2018 at 06:40 PM.
    Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him. KJV Psalm 68:4

User Info Menu

Many THX for your answers - we are looking forward to jamaica!

NC

User Info Menu

Linston's Zion Hill Taxi...
    Name:  preview.jpeg
Views: 709
Size:  14.7 KB
    ***Linston's Zion Hill Taxi***

https://www.facebook.com/ZionHillTaxi/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mysoulshines View Post
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi...
    Name:  preview.jpeg
Views: 709
Size:  14.7 KB
    Nice dog and nice food on facebook but no pictures of the car??

NC

User Info Menu

A few West End restaurants will pick you up for FREE if you are going for dinner. For many years we have called LTU for a mid-afternoon pickup for dinner. We stop at Rick's for a few cold ones, watch sunset, then walk over to LTU for dinner. The ride back to the hotel is with the same driver whom we pay a fair (negotiated) price ............. plus a tip for the free pick up ride.

Another good idea is grab a route taxi to the Canoe Bar for some killer rum punch at happy hour. It is not to far from the roundabout so for a few extra $JA they are happy to drop us off at Canoe. When you are pleasantly rum punched out, grab a West End route taxi to Rick's. The ride home can be negotiated from any of the multitude of drivers who hang out at Rick's or in the general area.

When you find a driver you are comfortable with, tip him fairly, get his name and number and use them on a regular basis. Good rates and services will follow.

We find the vast majority of the drivers are a freakin' hoot with a great sense of humor. Just talk with them a little and you can make yourself a great friend.