Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Locally Owned

User Info Menu

Re: Locally Owned

Sounds like Phineasfreakers may be talking about Sunnyside, right next to rooms on the beach. This is one of our favorite haunts.
    What are you considering “local owned.” Owned by a Jamaican born, a “mom & pop” type place, or just not a huge corporation? When on the cliffs we often stay at Catcha, and the owners live right on the property.

User Info Menu

Great question.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff brown View Post
    Does anyone have an idea about how many of the bars/restaurants/hotels are actually locally owned in Negril?
    [https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

The definition of "locally owned" I think is up for debate. Someone had posted on FB they only support "locally owned" establishments. I wondered what that meant and what those were. I think people having varying opinions on what that means. I live in Louisville KY. Home of YUM Brands. I think they own KRF, Long John Silvers, etc, etc. So if I go to a LJS in Louisville is that a "locally owned" joint?

I don't know. I think everyone's mileage may vary. Happy Friday and SOON COME!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnNYC View Post
    When on the cliffs we often stay at Catcha, and the owners live right on the property.
    John...which owners are you referring? The owners of Catcha are foreign born and none of them live there that I know of.

Some of the properties off the top of my head that are owned by someone born in Jamaica include...
    Hotels - Charela Inn, WhiteSands, Crystal Waters, Travelers, Coral Seas, Primrose, Rondel, Ansell's Thatch Hut, Firefly, Hidden Paradise, Fun Holiday, Idle Awhile, Mirage, Jah B's, Sandy Haven, Roots, Kuyaba, Lighthouse Inn, Rayon, The Caves, Sandals, Couples, Merrills.

Bars/Restaurants - I can't think of any bars or restaurants that aren't owned by a Jamaican other than the obvious chains or hotels with bars/restaurants.

User Info Menu

The Caves: Pretty sure Chris Blackwell was born in England.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Odinson View Post
    The Caves: Pretty sure Chris Blackwell was born in England.
    Pretty sure Bertram Saulter was born in Jamaica...
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Eddie Seaga wasn't born there either. He became prime minister. He was a Jamaican citizen by birth.

So what is a "local"?

Cap
    Last edited by captaind; 08-31-2018 at 03:18 PM.
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

I always assumed the white haired gentleman and the thin blond woman (sorry, usually bad with names) who lived at the top of the property were the owners.

User Info Menu

Cap,
    In my opinion, a local is someone born in, or at least living in an area for N extended period of time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnNYC View Post
    I always assumed the white haired gentleman and the thin blond woman (sorry, usually bad with names) who lived at the top of the property were the owners.
    Okay John, I know who you mean & no, they don't live there. One person is a manager and the other person is one of the owners that lives in the US...but comes & goes between the two countries.

To me a local in any country is someone born & raised in said country or someone that has chosen to reside in an area full time. It also helps to be part of the business enviroment, politics etc....