Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jamaican currency?

User Info Menu

Jamaican currency?

Is it best to use "their" currency while there? I am planning to just do local eating, drinking and shopping, etc. - I am not into the fancy schmancy stuff.

9 SLEEPS
    (couldn't fugure out how to get the counter thingy to work )

User Info Menu

My personal preference is to use the Jamaican dollar, mostly because it's less confusing for me. Usually 100 "J's" work out to be appx. $1.20 U.S. Enjoy!

User Info Menu

For the best rates, exchange your money at one of the cambio's in Negril

User Info Menu

You can get J's by using either the Scotia Bank or NCB ATM's too...........

bring a roll of North American ones for tipping........

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

I start with about US$100 with about a quarter in low notes for tipping, and when that runs out i use JA$ changes at cambio imho the cambio at hi-lo is best, also i know i always say it but check with your bank about any fees there maybe for using debit cards in atm overseas, the UK banks sting you for using debit cards overseas with a 2.5% or £3 each time

User Info Menu

we always pay in ja currency, soon come

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by livlvlife View Post
    Is it best to use "their" currency while there? I am planning to just do local eating, drinking and shopping, etc. - I am not into the fancy schmancy stuff.
    Now, don't take this the wrong way but (afterall) it is their currency so you should use it for your everyday needs. Either changing at a Cambio or using a Jamaican-dispensing ATM would be my recommendation. Having a few small US bills for "special" tipping is a good idea as well. My advice is to get "80:1" ingrained in your mind. It is not exact but gives you a ballpark reference point to deal from. Divide a Jamaican price by 80 (roughly) and if you wouldn't pay that in US currency, don't buy it. Simple as that. I see a meal for $800 J and immediately know it is close to $10 US and from that I can make my decision more easily.

I find it is best not to bring large bills to Jamaica but others may differ on that advice. The ATMs make it so easy to get a measured amount of money when you need it without too much hassle and it doesn't give someone an opportunity to steal from you too easily as well. Travelers Checks are good as well. Better to be safe than sorry.

Peace and Guidance.
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

thank you very much for your responses!!

Accompong- thank you....and I do not get offended (even if it is the intent of someoone ) I have been to some central/so. american country's where the locals prefer US currency, probably because of exchange rate and it is to their advantage. But, like Lenny mentioned, it would be less confusing for me and I can always give a bit more when moved to do so!

User Info Menu

When in Rome......

User Info Menu

Unless I am making large purchases I ALWAYS use US$ in the tourist areas. The exchange rate is not as good but for small purchases I am not worried. I don't have to worry about having too much JA$ at the end of my trip.

SOME locals do prefer to have US$ because they can pay for good purchased in the US by family or friends. Either will work so go with what's easiest for you. I do US$