Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bring $CAD cash or use ATM in Negril?

User Info Menu

Re: Bring $CAD cash or use ATM in Negril?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    All summer long FX Trader had lower exchange rates than the other Cambios... It has been a crazy year the foreign exchange!
    any one more recommended than others for exchanging USD$ ?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Not really.

Unless you are changing a whole lot of currency at one time, the difference between all the cambios currently is pocket change...
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

It really depends on your bank. I use ALLY online bank. With my debit card, I was getting $132 (out of $136 international rate) back in sept after charges were applied when using it at a Scotia bank ATM. I've never had issues with my card being compromised. If you can join an online bank in Canada (like Tangerine or PC Financial), I'd advise to do so since their rates tend to be better with the lower overhead they have (it's easy to transfer money to that account before you travel).

Last edited by ukran1ans; 11-06-2018 at 09:46 AM.
    Go Bills!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bnewb View Post
    As a Canadian, I've yet to understand Canadians bringing US...just change your Canadian money to Jamaican.
    I agree, just bring Jamaican $. However some people for whatever reason prefer not to deal in foreign currency and the USD is acceptable and usable in negril , Mexico etc. Canadian currency not as acceptable nor usable. That was my point

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Weeboy1 View Post
    I agree, just bring Jamaican $. However some people for whatever reason prefer not to deal in foreign currency and the USD is acceptable and usable in negril , Mexico etc. Canadian currency not as acceptable nor usable. That was my point
    Ya...but my point is ...you don't have to bring US currency as a Canadian or a Brit ect...just bring your own countries currency and exchange for Jamaican currency.
    Why spend the time and extra fees exchanging to another countries currency (CAD to US) first?
    Obviously, everyone takes Jamaican currency here...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bnewb View Post
    Ya...but my point is ...you don't have to bring US currency as a Canadian or a Brit ect...just bring your own countries currency and exchange for Jamaican currency.
    Why spend the time and extra fees exchanging to another countries currency (CAD to US) first?
    Obviously, everyone takes Jamaican currency here...
    Yep, I agree... like paying a middleman!
    Go Bills!

User Info Menu

For years I used the Cambio but in the last couple I learned the Negril bank machines take debit and the rates are great. Limit your withdrawals to 30000J and you only pay one service charge. I have also found that the machine in the bank at the Sunshine plaza had the best rate.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ukran1ans View Post
    Yep, I agree... like paying a middleman!
    Not talking about exchanging Can. To US and then to Ja.
    I was referring to the travellers who Do not wish to use Ja currency and prefer one they are familiar with.
    What I was trying to get across was if that is your intent Canadian currency is not readily accepted on the street level.
    Would never suggest conversion from can$ to us$ and then to ja$