Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mosquitoes

User Info Menu

I have found them to less prevalent in the cliffs versus anywhere near the beach.
    March 2006 - Blue Cave Castle | November 2007 - Beaches Sandy Bay | November 2008 - Blue Cave Castle/Rockhouse/Grand Lido | March 2012 - Blue Cave Castle

User Info Menu

I have found that I should use repellant when going out in the afternoon or evening regardless of where I am going. One evening (it was in December), I was sitting cliffside at 3 Dives watching the sunset, and unbeknownst to me, sand fleas were coming up out of the small patch of sand on the cliff's edge and devouring the backs of my legs. It wasn't until the backs of my thighs felt like they were ON FIRE that I figured out what had happened. I probably had at least 50 bites that were red, swollen, and so itchy that it was difficult to sleep. I have problems with mosquitoes everywhere I go as well, must be something about my body chemistry. I've been eaten alive by mosquitoes at Seastar during the daytime while sitting at the bar.

I use a natural insect repellant, it's not as effective as DEET, but it's better than nothing and I hate putting toxic chemicals on my skin. I also take a box of citronella votive candles and place them all around when sitting outside on the verandah-- this helps, but I have to literally surround myself with them and make sort of a citronella force field. I still come home with some bites, but a more tolerable amount.

User Info Menu

I am from Northern Ontario. I am impervious to mosquito bites! If you have ever been here you know what I am talking about.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hettie View Post
    I have found that I should use repellant when going out in the afternoon or evening regardless of where I am going. One evening (it was in December), I was sitting cliffside at 3 Dives watching the sunset, and unbeknownst to me, sand fleas were coming up out of the small patch of sand on the cliff's edge and devouring the backs of my legs. It wasn't until the backs of my thighs felt like they were ON FIRE that I figured out what had happened. I probably had at least 50 bites that were red, swollen, and so itchy that it was difficult to sleep. I have problems with mosquitoes everywhere I go as well, must be something about my body chemistry. I've been eaten alive by mosquitoes at Seastar during the daytime while sitting at the bar.

I use a natural insect repellant, it's not as effective as DEET, but it's better than nothing and I hate putting toxic chemicals on my skin. I also take a box of citronella votive candles and place them all around when sitting outside on the verandah-- this helps, but I have to literally surround myself with them and make sort of a citronella force field. I still come home with some bites, but a more tolerable amount.
    Same thing happened to me at 3 dives on my last trip. Last time I'll forget to put repellant on when I head out.

User Info Menu

I got really chewed by the sand fleas. We were often out on the beach in the early morning and around sunset. The bites were worse than mosquito's. I knew about the evenings but did not think about the early mornings. I will know for next time.

User Info Menu

I get eaten alive here in Minnesota where skeeters are the unofficial state bird.
    For some reason the Jamaican variety don't seem to like me. 17 trips in 12 years and I can count the number of bites and have fingers left.
    Now sand fleas, that's another matter entirely.

Bless...
    Ed

User Info Menu

Ras Walleye! That is exactly the same thing I notice

I get eaten alive in the states too, and I get giant welts all over, especially my ankles and wrist areas...it's horrible.
    But in Jamaica, I can't remember having any issues with bites or mosquitos
    But, at the beach parties, the sand fleas have a field day!

That is weird

User Info Menu

This is a little tutorial on the negril mosquitos..done last year..

User Info Menu

i bring benadryl :-) non-drowsy

User Info Menu

I've never had a problem with them. I live in Florida and spend a lot of time on and near the water. It's about the same.
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave