Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Arrival Duty Free Liquor store - limits on how much you can bring thru customs?

User Info Menu

Arrival Duty Free Liquor store - limits on how much you can bring thru customs?

Do the limits on how much liquor you can bring into Jamaica ( 2 liters per person) also apply to the purchases at the Duty Free Liquor Store in MoBay arrival area between Immigration and Customs?

User Info Menu

Re: Arrival Duty Free Liquor store - limits on how much you can bring thru customs?

Good question but my guess is those purchases don't count.

User Info Menu

Re: Arrival Duty Free Liquor store - limits on how much you can bring thru customs?

It's actually 1 liter of spirits and 1 liter of wine and it doesn't matter if it is in your checked luggage or purchased at the MBJ Arrivals kiosk, it's still just that. Trust me, if they open your bags they will make sure to inform you of the policy. A verbal reprimand is usually given and a stern "in the future...." will have to be listened to. And then away you go.
    Last edited by Jamaica Jeff; 12-14-2018 at 11:57 AM.

User Info Menu

What I have done a couple times that has worked for us is to buy at the duty free, tell them I have a liter in my suitcase but that I would be willing to pay the duty. They usually crinkle their nose and say " not this time but don't do it again next time". So far we're 3 for 3 with that approach.
    [https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Exactly the right thing to do. No smuggling, no lying to customs, no breaking Jamaican laws to save a couple of bucks.

User Info Menu

So if we do want to bring more than 1 liter of alcohol per person, how much is the duty?

Is it based on the amount of bottles brought in or on the price of the bottles or ? ? ? ?

User Info Menu

My understanding is your allowed 2 liters a person. Since I have never been made to pay duty on what I have bought at the airport I don't know what the duty would be. Most other borders I have crossed charge by the ounce, and it probably won't be worth your while to pay, so at that point you can just surrender the bottle or take it back to the duty free and get your money back.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Oil View Post
    So if we do want to bring more than 1 liter of alcohol per person, how much is the duty?

Is it based on the amount of bottles brought in or on the price of the bottles or ? ? ? ?
    [https://www.TickerFactory.com/]