Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: From the land of snow and ice to the land of wood and water

User Info Menu

Re: From the land of snow and ice to the land of wood and water

Quote Originally Posted by Maralunatic View Post
    We had decided to finally go on a catamaran cruise. Mr. Lunatic has never been on one, so sign us up I did! (Sorry, I had a Yoda moment) Love how we were just talking about it, and up comes a vendor..
    Attachment 52093
    He convinced us that Sunday would be better, since it would be a small group..Yay!
    Since the excitement and hard work exhausted us, we decided to walk down to our favorite little bar and enjoy a
    dirty banana. I love Yellow Bird!
    Attachment 52094
    20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, a Bond movie?

User Info Menu

Accompong-We had a wonderful time! Everyone was so friendly and helpful. I have some more pictures to add, and you were spoken of quite highly. I'm glad my pictures helped brighten your day!

Even Linston followed along for the tour

Attachment 52274

Attachment 52277

Attachment 52275

Attachment 52276

The trip down was just as exciting! I can't believe the view you have all the way down...

Attachment 52278

Attachment 52279

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  303.7 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  277.8 KB

User Info Menu

Apparently some of my pictures went on vacation also!

Name:  linston 1.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  153.2 KB

Name:  acc6.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  194.7 KB

Name:  acc12.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  132.1 KB

Name:  1.jpg
Size:  378.9 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  478.7 KB

Views: 403

User Info Menu

Great pics. I so enjoyed my trip to Accompong a few years back. So , tell me the truth...did you get a little '' scared '' going around some of those corners up the mountain '' although I know Linston is a pro at the drive !!

User Info Menu

Jojo- I did! And Linston didn't help by acting a little scared himself! And yes, I did realize he was teasing me, but yelling "We're going over!" was a little wrong! (Just kidding!) Linston did a fabulous job. We did a lot of laughing about the signs that were posted in the middle of nowhere (like Digicel) and the fact that someone followed us down the mountain. We were so involved with the scenery and singing to the radio that we never noticed anyone way behind us. Not that they could have passed!

User Info Menu

Dinner was at my favorite jerk place, 3 Dives.

Name:  3 dives1.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  277.9 KB

Name:  3 dives.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  221.3 KB

User Info Menu

Love the photos!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Maralunatic View Post
    Apparently some of my pictures went on vacation also!
    Hope you don't mind Maralunatic. Got 3 messages with questions about your pictures so I thought I would just give what I think or know each picture is about.

This is a picture of one of the "Seal Grounds" scattered around the town. A Seal Ground was a sacred place where meetings were held because they were thought to have certain "powers" to make the meeting outcome to be fair and just. Often these grounds are where members of an extended family would gather (i.e. Rowe etc.) to iron out family differences.
    Name:  linston 1.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  153.2 KB

This is a picture of Mark Wright (your Tour Guide) called "Kutu" (coo too) at the Old Town Burial Grounds. While the First Maroon War was going on, the now town of Accompong didn't exist. In fact, it was often occupied by British Soldiers after the 3-day march up from their barracks in Balaclava. The early Maroons lived scattered in the bush and buried their dead at this spot called "Old Town". On January 6th of each year, the Maroons make a pilgrimage to this spot to scatter rum over their ancestors and sing sacred songs from Africa. When done, they return up to the Kindah "One Family" Tree to begin the celebration where all are invited to feast on unsalted black pig, roosters and horse yams.
    Name:  acc6.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  194.7 KB

Accompong Town View. Accompong was founded by (Kojo)Cudjoe's brother Accompong at the end of the wars in 1739 as a front line of defense should the British not live up to the Treaty.
    Name:  acc12.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  132.1 KB

A look towards "Quick Step" a Maroon Village in the Land of Look Behind.
    Name:  1.jpg
Size:  378.9 KB

A look from the road with the Don Figueroa Mountains in the distance and the Black River Valley at it's base.
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  478.7 KB

A better view of the valley where Appleton and Balaclava are located in the distance. It is from there that Cudjoe and his warriors would watch the advancing army and prepare his troops for ambush battle. The solders took to riding two to a horse (one facing forward and the other to the rear). This is where the term "Land of Look Behind" derived. "Me No Send You No Come" was the warning issued to potential visitors.
Views: 403

I hope that helps a little and my apologies Maralunatic.
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Love the photos!

User Info Menu

Accompong-That was wonderful! I never thought to put some history behind the photos, and I'm very happy you took the time to do so! We had such a great time there, and with so much to see it was a trip worth taking!