Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tarpon in the river

User Info Menu

Tarpon in the river

26 Days till we hit the rock ! Looking for a fisherman who can find Tarpon in the river. Anybody know anybody like that ?

User Info Menu

Re: Tarpon in the river

Candyman there are youtube videos of people catching snook in the Negril river but I am not sure about Tarpon. If you are intent on fishing in JA and want to catch Tarpon, Black River is where you want to fish. Big Tarpon and plenty fishermon to guide you. I might be wrong about the Negril scene but I'm sure about Black River.

User Info Menu

Yeah I'd be shocked to find any tarpon in there. There are snook, though, and some mangrove snapper.

User Info Menu

Hi Guys, There were Snook, but like many of the resources, they weren't managed and just about wiped out. I second Johng, there are many BIG POONS in the Black River, please practice Catch, Picture & Release as Tarpon have no food value. Long Live the Megalops Atlanticus, they are amazing creatures

User Info Menu

Well that sucks to hear.

User Info Menu

Name:  Black River 2015.jpg
Views: 1434
Size:  456.0 KB

I have fished Black River many times. Tarpon, I thinks it been a long time since a Tarpon has been caught there. Snook on the other hand are there. This guy was caught about three years ago and man was he a lot fun to bring in. I'm the kinda guy that just likes to be out on a boat slowing idling up the river, sun beating down, and drinking a Red Stripe, but this fish made the trip. Almost spilled my Red Stripe when he latched on.

The Black River itself is a little hard to fish because it's has to many close bends. About 1 Km up the Black River take the river to the left (as you go upstream) it's a little straighter but the river name escapes me right now. The water that runs through YS Falls makes up this river. It runs into the Black River and then out to sea.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brownsd54 View Post
    Name:  Black River 2015.jpg
Views: 1434
Size:  456.0 KB

I have fished Black River many times. Tarpon, I thinks it been a long time since a Tarpon has been caught there. Snook on the other hand are there. This guy was caught about three years ago and man was he a lot fun to bring in. I'm the kinda guy that just likes to be out on a boat slowing idling up the river, sun beating down, and drinking a Red Stripe, but this fish made the trip. Almost spilled my Red Stripe when he latched on.

The Black River itself is a little hard to fish because it's has to many close bends. About 1 Km up the Black River take the river to the left (as you go upstream) it's a little straighter but the river name escapes me right now. The water that runs through YS Falls makes up this river. It runs into the Black River and then out to sea.
    I believe it is just called the Y.S. River
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Our boat captain called it something else but it has YS water running in it for sure. Funny story though. I had started a thread about 2 weeks ago called "Link Ups After Years Passed". It was about going on a Black River/ Pelican Bar safari and then 11 years later running into the same boat captain. Well, just now, when I did a search on Wikipedia to find the name of that river, low and behold, theirs Rasta George's picture. He will be so thrill to find out he is a minor celebrity. Seen by anyone in the world on Wikipedia.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

It really bums me out to see someone keep a 4' tarpon. They're not good eating anyway, and should only be kept if over 150 pounds.